Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-03-2006, 03:27 PM
GeoffW
Computer says No

New Member with the age old question

Hello fellow stargazers & astrophotographers,

I've recently joined after seeing IIS noted in Sky & Space mag and lurking the forums for a while. I'm located in Perth and have been interested in astronomy and astrophysics since quite young. This is a great site and I look forward to joining the community here (though I'm a relatively quiet poster). I currently have a small Russian 3" newt (which I bought in Moscow to observe whichever comet was apparent in '97 and is built like a battleship) which has served me well but the time has come to go bigger and better.

After much review of this and other sites/forums I've narrowed it down to a choice of 2 scopes:
Meade LXD75 8" SC (from StarOptics, Bintel or AdelaideOptical)
Celestron C8-SGT + XLT (from Andrews Communications)

Given where I live I need good portability so a Dob is out and even a classic newt is a bit long so the SCT is my preferred option. I would like Goto and a GEM mount (been there done that with the manual finding of small fuzzy objects) for later astrophotography. My main use will be visual but I'm keen to play with photography later, primarilly planetary to start with then who knows. I understand the mount is "king" in that respect but I don't wish to go crazy just yet in $$. From what I've read either of these would provide a good introduction I think so I am interested in what people here might think, particularly if they have one of these.

From what I've read the Celestron mount does not offer PEC whereas the LXD75 does along with a "high precision mode". I also cannot ascertain as to whether the Meade one comes with the UHTC coating or not. Not sure if either of these are issues. Both come with a 2" tripod and the Meade can accept both 1.25" and 2" pieces.

I'm also interested in what you think is a good set of starter accessories (eyepieces, filters, etc). At the very least I'll be getting a moon and solar filter (I like to view the sun also) and an appropriate t-mount for my Nikon 35mm film SLR. Maybe an extra/ultra wide and a Barlow too. Views on a reasonable starter CCD would be appreciated.

I know this is a lot for a new guy to ask on his first post so I won't be upset if you don't answer everything. To start with some opinions on the scopes would be great.

Thanks everyone for your time.

Cheers,

Geoff.
Old 29-03-2006, 04:16 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Hi Geoff. I'll handle a couple here. A meade 8" SCT will normally come with UHTC off the shelf, whereas you used to pay for it as an extra. I have never had a Celestron 8" but I do have a Meade 8" SCT, and it's great for me. It's light and easy to handle, produces images I'm happy with and is reasonably priced. If I had to by another scope tomorrow if something happened to this one, I'd have no doubts in getting it again. I had an 8" LX200GPS and when I sold it I bought the 8" OTA again (I particularly like the inbuilt mirror lock ). I find it a good all round scope for both visual and imaging. It's not up there with the best but then I didn't pay thousands and thousands of dollars for it either.

If you are prime focusing your Nikon 35 then you're set to start for DSOs, so maybe look at a ToUcam/Neximager/LPI or similar for planetary and later with guidescope for autoguiding. Both mounts you mentioned can be autoguided.

Good luck with your choices

Last edited by [1ponders]; 29-03-2006 at 05:15 PM.
Old 29-03-2006, 05:17 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

BTW check to see what accessories come with the scopes too. Check to make sure they include the cost of diagonal and finderscope in the purchase price.
Old 29-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Hi Geoff, Geoff here

Sorry for going off topic but do you have any pictures of your 3" russian newt? It sounds interesting.
Old 29-03-2006, 10:49 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

I know nothing about SCTs but after having looked through a C9.25 at Snake Valley, that sort of scope would be my first point of enquiry. Like I say I have no idea, and whether the C8 is anything like the C9.25 in terms of quality, but that scope truely impressed me even next to premium 5" apos.
Old 30-03-2006, 12:29 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Hi Geoff, call in and see Kieth Williams at Binocular Telescope& Optical World at Mt Hawthorn, even if you don't buy at least you can see what the scopes are like, and he might give you some ideas. Just a thought. astroron
Old 30-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Just a comment:
Having now used both the Celestron NexStar and the Meade #472 controllers I'd have to say the Meade wins hands down!
The ability to upgrade, interface and user friendliness make the Meade a pleasure to use.
Old 30-03-2006, 12:43 PM
GeoffW
Computer says No

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

Yes, the scope will come with a 1.25" diagonal, 26mm or 25mm Plossl and the Meade has an 8x50 finder. The Celestron is only 6x30 which seems a little small.

Astroron, I did visit BTOW a few weeks ago and did speak to someone (name escapes me). He was helpful but they generally only stock the Skywatcher pro series now and their 6" SCT would actually work out more $ than either 8" I mentioned. Don't know why, particularly as Synta seems to make both Skywatcher and Celestron scopes.

Geoff, I have taken a couple of pics of my Ruski scope (it's a TAL). Stupid question, how do I post the pics and where?

I have certainly heard good things about the C9.25 but that's another $1k I'm not prepared to add.

Cheers.
Old 30-03-2006, 01:47 PM
chunkylad (David)
Open up. it's me, Dave...

Hi Geoff and welcome

It worries me when you mention Lunar and Solar filters in the one sentence, as if they are similar breeds. They are indeed two entirely different animals. You'll find a Lunar filter will screw into any 1.25" eyepiece, and will take the edge off lunar glare - especially at full moon when the light reflected from the moon is boosted by backscatter.

The Solar filter however, MUST be placed before the objective, and definately not at the eyepiece. These type of 'solar filters' are dangerous. See the relavent IIS thread here:http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=934

All the best with your search for the perfect 'scope. There are many good, reputable dealers in this country, who are more than willing to mail order for you. Do your research well before you buy, and I'm sure you'll end up with something that meets your needs.

Cheers

Dave W
Old 30-03-2006, 01:55 PM
chunkylad (David)

Hi Geoff,

I forgot to add that I have a full aperture JMB solar filter fitted to a GEM mounted 114mm Newt. This is my 'dedicated' solar observing scope.

This type of solar filter allows me to see and keep track of sunspots. It DOES NOT allow me to see solar prominences or flares. Afaik, (and I'm sure I'll be informed here if I'm wrong) you would require a purpose-built solar telescope such as the Coronado PST - either the hydrogen alpha or calcium K type - to observe such things.

All the best
Old 30-03-2006, 02:13 PM
GeoffW
Computer says No

G'day Dave,

Thanks for your advice and I'm aware a solar filter is a "before" the optics device. It's certainly not an item to be skimped upon given the possible consequences. I'm happy with sunspot and solar disk observing, and then we have SOHO for all the rest (link in left frame).

Cheers
Old 30-03-2006, 04:49 PM
chunkylad (David)

Hi Goeff

Sorry to sound like an old crone. I didn't mean to treat you like er, um......... Well you know what I mean. I didn't mean to patronise you mate. Just making sure. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye............................Not phunny if you're an astronomer. Lol

As for SOHO - don't you just love those streaming vids? Nearly blew my little mind first time I saw them. WOW

Cheers
Old 30-03-2006, 05:55 PM
GeoffW
Computer says No

No worries Dave, no insult taken (though I might have to pick you up on the spelling of my name! ).

It's a good reminder for anyone else reading this who may wish to solar observe at some point. You need a bit more than 30+ sunblock.

Cheers mate.
Old 30-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW
Geoff, I have taken a couple of pics of my Ruski scope (it's a TAL). Stupid question, how do I post the pics and where?
When posting, use the advanced button, then scroll down to the manage attachments button. Browse to where your picture files are and upload.
Old 30-03-2006, 09:14 PM
GeoffW
Computer says No

With any luck there are a couple of pics here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (TAL01.JPG)
38.1 KB16 views
Click for full-size image (TAL02.JPG)
72.8 KB36 views
Old 30-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Thanks Geoff

Im always interested to check out unusual scopes, and the TAL certainly qualifies
Old 30-03-2006, 09:56 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Wow, that looks like a proper commie scope fit for the Red Army. Love it!
Old 30-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Starkler (Geoff)
4000 post club member

Certainly looks better constructed than the usual 3" newtonians available here
Old 30-03-2006, 11:07 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Hi Geoff, welcome to IIS.
Love your scope, I'm just wondering how many kilos it weighs.
Jeanette
Old 30-03-2006, 11:28 PM
chunkylad (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW
No worries Dave, no insult taken (though I might have to pick you up on the spelling of my name! ).

It's a good reminder for anyone else reading this who may wish to solar observe at some point. You need a bit more than 30+ sunblock.

Cheers mate.
Hi GEOFF

DOH

Sorry 'bout that

Dvea, er, Dave