Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-01-2016, 10:09 PM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Really good to hear ! great news
Old 30-01-2016, 10:20 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

High five!
You deserve a free valium for the stress.
Old 30-01-2016, 10:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great news
Old 30-01-2016, 10:31 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Good Show .... 11 out of 10 for PayPal...

Well done Morton

Col...
Old 30-01-2016, 10:43 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Now to buy a scope that actually exists!

Actually, I have an offer for a Tak FS-102 from an IIS member who is as trustworthy as you can get, so watch this space...
Old 30-01-2016, 11:45 PM
bugeater (Marty)

Fantastic news!
Old 30-01-2016, 11:59 PM
ariefm71 (Arief)

Fantastic news, Morton!

Go for the Tak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Now to buy a scope that actually exists!

Actually, I have an offer for a Tak FS-102 from an IIS member who is as trustworthy as you can get, so watch this space...
Old 31-01-2016, 09:59 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Not nice being scammed, good to see Paypal honoured their guarantee.
Paypal did a similar refund for me, in my case the seller was legit but had gone in to administration shortly after my eBay order.
Not sure whether it's been mentioned but I always try to check by mobile phone where the seller isn't known to me. If they're shonky at least the mobile number gives a point of reference for the police to follow up.
Old 31-01-2016, 10:42 AM
dreamstation (James)

That's fantastic news Morton. Glad to hear that Paypal was able to recover your money!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:40 AM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Answer to prayer Morton....
Old 01-02-2016, 12:15 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Phew! Good to hear Morton
Old 01-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonH View Post
Note that Paypal's email specifically states "We were able to recover $..."
I hear they outsource the recovery function to the Russian mafia...
Old 01-02-2016, 03:27 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Good news for you and all Morton.

Let's hope the rotter/s get what they deserve!

bigjoe.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:04 PM
Pinwheel (Doug)

You know this also works in the reverse, I know a bloke that sold his pinball machine on eBay. It was paid by Paypal & a truck was sent to collect the machine. A day after the machine was collected the buyer put in a claim & had the purchase reversed. My mate never saw his Pinball machine or the money, So how does this work?, It turns out Paypal favours the buyer NOT the seller, so be advised.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:39 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheel View Post
You know this also works in the reverse, I know a bloke that sold his pinball machine on eBay. It was paid by Paypal & a truck was sent to collect the machine. A day after the machine was collected the buyer put in a claim & had the purchase reversed. My mate never saw his Pinball machine or the money, So how does this work?, It turns out Paypal favours the buyer NOT the seller, so be advised.

I've read about this kind of thing. If you sell by Paypal you need evidence of delivery and receipt by the buyer in the event of a claim. The most obvious way is to pay for signature on delivery if you're posting, but even then the buyer could claim that it wasn't their signature.

If the buyer pays by Paypal but picks up the item, as in your pinball machine story, there's no proof of delivery. The only way to have some kind of reassurance would be verify their identity by asking to see the buyer's driver licence and taking down the details (which is probably illegal) and then get them to sign some kind of acknowledgement of receipt. Again, I don't know if any of that would be enough to convince Paypal you were right.
Old 15-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Kunama

Caveat Emptor

If you cannot verify who you are trading with in the classifieds proceed with Caution

. A member posted a wanted ad here for an expensive item in January
. I contacted that member on behalf of a friend who had such an item to sell.
. The owner of this item wanted to know the name of the person interested in buying it.
. I contacted the IIS member to get his name and contact phone number
. All the member would give is a hotmail address but refused after several PMs to give his name or phone number
. I advised the owner of the item to not proceed as this was likely a scam
. The member joined within the last year and has minimal involvement and nothing in his posts to indicate who or where he is....

Do your homework and don't trust Paypal to give you money back.....
Morton was lucky that by acting quickly the funds were still there to be seized.

Another Paypal scam involves their 180day claim period, the buyer pays with Paypal and 179 days later lodges a claim that the goods are faulty or a part of the scope is missing..... guess who Paypal will side with.

I sold an item on eBay, the buyer paid immediately with Paypal, I sent the item Signature on Delivery, the item was signed for at the address I sent it to (Australia Post verified this) despite this the buyer lodged a claim that he had not received it and the funds were frozen in my account immediately, then, after several weeks PayPal sided with the buyer and I lost the item and the money.
I won't be dealing with PayPal anymore unless I know the person I am dealing with or can establish it is reputable business.

Last edited by Kunama; 15-02-2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old 15-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Wavytone

And now it looks like I've been scammed on Astromart. A month ago was advertised by what appeared to be a reputable optical company... After I paid for it via PayPal, the vendor went silent and I've never had a reply from him to several requests for shipping details. The ad is still there on

Contacted Herb York who is investigating - it appears it is a scam.

Then PayPal showed the money was actually paid to a differnet account.

I had the buyer insurance on PayPal but no response yet, maybe early days but I'm not hopeful.

The days of Internet transactions of this type over for me - certainly won't go near individuals or small companies again, too many crooks.
Old 15-02-2016, 09:22 AM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
And now it looks like I've been scammed on Astromart. A month ago was advertised by what appeared to be a reputable optical company... After I paid for it via PayPal, the vendor went silent and I've never had a reply from him to several requests for shipping details. The ad is still there on

Contacted Herb York who is investigating - it appears it is a scam.

Then PayPal showed the money was actually paid to a differnet account.

I had the buyer insurance on PayPal but no response yet, maybe early days but I'm not hopeful.

If have to say the days of Internet transactions of this type over for me - certainly won't go near small fry again.
This is just terrible .... we'll all end up not trusting anyone ... except the closest ones you can, and know are genuine

Col....
Old 15-02-2016, 09:51 AM
simmo

I belong to a motorcycle forum and they won't allow you to post a classified until you have a half decent amount of posts. I think it's like 30 or something. By that time you can pretty much work out if a member is genuine or not and it weeds out the jerks as they can't be stuffed posting that much.
Old 15-02-2016, 10:37 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
I sold an item on eBay, the buyer paid immediately with Paypal, I sent the item Signature on Delivery, the item was signed for at the address I sent it to (Australia Post verified this) despite this the buyer lodged a claim that he had not received it and the funds were frozen in my account immediately, then, after several weeks PayPal sided with the buyer and I lost the item and the money.
That's terrible Matt. I would have thought that having an Auspost signed delivery receipt would weigh a little more than that in the balance. That's unheard of. . Especially after such a long period of time to lodge a claim. That is dodgy as...