Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-01-2016, 12:16 PM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
I have found many ladies I meet at the different pubs I sometimes go to for a beer with a mate when in that part of the world are into astrology. I never mention astronmy. They guess your star sign etc. Why spoil a good thing. I am a capricorn but my nature seems like something different... Oh you are on the cusp. Many times same lines.. My mates will often argue with them.. Wrong.. So I usually have company.
So yes astrology rocks and they love my photos on my phone.
I tell folk my interest is astro photography because I got sick of explaining the difference between the two.
Last time some astrologically-inclined ladies guessed my star sign they got it right ..... on the 10th attempt. I believe it's quite typical for people not to be typical of their sign.
Old 27-01-2016, 08:23 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental4astro View Post
Mysticism is the fruit of ignorance. It can be whimsical through to dangerous. But it can also be very humane.

There is an interesting thing here for those of us not locked into the mystical aspect - the common threads that link culture and history from today all the way to many thousands of years BC. As a student of History, I look for these threads and constantly find ideas that we see as uniquely ours today being espoused by the Ancient Egyptians and the Phoenicians. And we think that we have absolutely no direct common cultural links with these extinct cultures! Yet these links are the roots of our own culture today! The language may have changed, and some of the ideas evolved, but the blood is the one and the same.

I don't have time for ditsy Astrology. But to see where we come from, it is a very useful tool.

Just a little thought to add to the discussion,
Example, the word 'alcohol' is 8000+ years old. It is a Sumerian word and has had the same meaning for all that time. The English language is a veritable font of hidden information if you do your research.
Old 29-01-2016, 02:30 PM
AussieTrooper (Ben)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Last time some astrologically-inclined ladies guessed my star sign they got it right ..... on the 10th attempt. I believe it's quite typical for people not to be typical of their sign.
When asked, my answer is generally Bullsh1tarius.
Old 29-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

The real-estate agent probably ran a quick etymology in his head and concluded that astronomers name stars, whereas astrologers study stars. He must have assumed that someone with a telescope in search of dark skies is an astrologer

Good luck with the property purchase, however, grave decisions like that are best left to the Tarot cards...
Old 29-01-2016, 05:13 PM
beren

A while back I somehow got conned into going to my Mother in laws weekly bingo night. As I was patiently enduring the proceedings a bloke come up and asked me about the zodiac symbols on my shirt I was wearing. I was wearing a Perth observatory polo shirt that had a zodiac pattern on it. It turned out he was an astrologist and started waffling on about it by that stage my patience was reaching breaking point and told him I was into Astronomy and had zero interest in astrology. He didn't take that so well and wanted to argue and just wouldn't back off in the end I had to be quite firm and mention we should take this outside....fortunately that defused the situation and he went away, interesting night.
Old 29-01-2016, 06:10 PM
deanm (Dean)

Biffo Beren?!?!!

Dean
Old 29-01-2016, 06:54 PM
beren

no didn't reach to that stage but he was starting to arc up and make a scene at our table, very weird .....when I said lets go outside it probably kicked some common sense into him .