Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2020, 12:10 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Spider improvement

As I have mentioned I threw out lots of data to see if I could get a better result..been on it all day ..however looking at one stack tells me there is still a bad sub or two..in any event tonight will not see me start over but this is what I managed. edit...I see my noise is back I will fix it tomorrow..
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (13final.jpg)
209.0 KB48 views
Old 04-12-2020, 07:52 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

hi alex, looking good. I went back and looked at your last posted images on this fro comparison. You've definitely got more finer detail coming through here, esp in fainter nebulosity, and i think a more natural looking image. I wouldn't be too bothered by the noise here; would rather the detail than smooth. I'll have to get more selective as I build up my data as well.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:38 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I was getting very tired by the end of that image. It did not reflect the better stacks as I had the stars near the core very well defined , more so than what I see here this morning. One stack has degraded the lot..my green showed little worm structures which were made up of individual dots ..maybe a sat or certainly something wandering about...anyways I do find being super critical of subs has merit...I find that in the past I would find an excuse to keep a sub whereas one must be of the approach " give me a reason to include you in my image".
I think also toward the end I tried too hard with the processing as I recall the final image pre photo shop was better...but I had to fiddle more...

In any event one should be happy as the subs were 60 seconds at gain from 250 to 400 and the noise was overpowering and StarTools would turn the noise around in an almost miracle manner.

Alex
Old 04-12-2020, 09:01 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Alex
Great image there with solid detail
Well done !!
Martin

PS:I’m really enjoying Startools v1.6 it has so much more and produces better results than 1.4 and 1.5 IMO
As far as noise reduction , there are several modules which can reduce your background noise along the way before you finish your processing , switch off tracking and use the normal noise reduction
Modules like .....
Binning - trades off some resolution for noise reduction
Contrast - reduces background noise and enhances detail
Deconvolution - trades off noise for detail
Life (Less More or Isolate) - reduces a noisy background and enhances main object
Old 04-12-2020, 09:32 AM
PKay (Peter)

I bet you have a pet spider Alex.

Your result just keeps getting better and more interesting.

Keep going!
Old 04-12-2020, 11:21 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

I find spiders are greatly improved with the application of a rubber thong....
Old 04-12-2020, 01:00 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Thanks Martin
Just did a much better version this morning...got all the stars in and around the core..so extremely happy as I have found it no easy to bring those stars out.but my WiFi on the Lappy is not responding ..maybe I can post later I would like to show off the newer version.

But I think I will cull the data again..sometimes the sky warps and something is not perfect..they will go..I have about 600 subs so I will have to get more data ..in future I am going to examine each sub as it comes in.
Thanks Peter
I have two Huntsmans in the van..I leave my tablet going all night with rain sounds from YouTube so the light from it brings in insects..that one has run over my screen and hand whilst holding it so it's very friendly..the other one, much larger, is at the other end of the van so I put a little led light down there so he/she does not have to compete with the one at the tablet end..and there are another two in the roll off but I have not had much to do with them...

Hi Carlton
It is so easy to disrespect the lives of other creatures and simply kill them but just think about it this way...they have not been lucky to be human and experience all we do and so can't we just let them experience the small window they have been given on the universe.

Since I have been looking thru my microscopes this feeling of respect or caring for other living things has become stronger in me...so I now put my slides back in the water that my specimens came from so that they may live rather than just letting them die as their world is destroyed by evaporation...caring about small life forms helps me be kind to humans many of which I sometimes feel deserve the thong treatment...

I don't harm the bull ants who nest all around my van and go out of my way not to step on them..now the funny thing is they never attack me when I get close to their nest..but anyone else ..well you can't be Australian unless you know how bull ants attack.

I do kill the mice which I am not proud about, I don't mind if they steal food but they pee (leave urine) everywhere and that brings snakes and given they will kill me if they attack by mistake I don't want them here..plus mice destroy things..I lost my 12 inch to mice, and one time they destroyed the wiring and fuel lines in my car..$750 repairs.. maybe when I get more settled and here all the time I will get a nice python..I had one a long time ago and he was a wonderful creature.
Maybe a cat but they annoy the spiders.
However next time you go to kill something please try and cultivate kindness..it will reward you.
Alex
Old 04-12-2020, 02:48 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

OK the lappy is working so here is the image I worked on this morning..I am not sure what I did but I did eliminate the stack I was not happy about..but then I may have added it again..anyways saw many versions come out of star tools I did not worry about colour as I am happy with whatever Startools puts out via LRBG...even if I am swapping channels about..like mapping HA to red instead of green...this image is cropped so you can see the detail in the core region..that was all I worked on really...

my plan is to do another big cull again today...and get more data tonight...happily the objects I am after dont come up until later so it is not entirely a waste of time... So I will review all 649 subs left after my previous big cull , and throw out anything that is really not up to perfection...even if I end up with 20 , but should be more, just to see how paying proper attention to quality and not worrying that I have had to throw out the equivalent of two night imaging..just to see ..but so far it seems the extra effort is worth it...

alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (13croppedfinal.jpg)
215.3 KB12 views
Old 04-12-2020, 02:50 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Thanks Martin
Just did a much better version this morning...got all the stars in and around the core..so extremely happy as I have found it no easy to bring those stars out.but my WiFi on the Lappy is not responding ..maybe I can post later I would like to show off the newer version.

But I think I will cull the data again..sometimes the sky warps and something is not perfect..they will go..I have about 600 subs so I will have to get more data ..in future I am going to examine each sub as it comes in.
Thanks Peter
I have two Huntsmans in the van..I leave my tablet going all night with rain sounds from YouTube so the light from it brings in insects..that one has run over my screen and hand whilst holding it so it's very friendly..the other one, much larger, is at the other end of the van so I put a little led light down there so he/she does not have to compete with the one at the tablet end..and there are another two in the roll off but I have not had much to do with them...

Hi Carlton
It is so easy to disrespect the lives of other creatures and simply kill them but just think about it this way...they have not been lucky to be human and experience all we do and so can't we just let them experience the small window they have been given on the universe.

Since I have been looking thru my microscopes this feeling of respect or caring for other living things has become stronger in me...so I now put my slides back in the water that my specimens came from so that they may live rather than just letting them die as their world is destroyed by evaporation...caring about small life forms helps me be kind to humans many of which I sometimes feel deserve the thong treatment...

I don't harm the bull ants who nest all around my van and go out of my way not to step on them..now the funny thing is they never attack me when I get close to their nest..but anyone else ..well you can't be Australian unless you know how bull ants attack.

I do kill the mice which I am not proud about, I don't mind if they steal food but they pee (leave urine) everywhere and that brings snakes and given they will kill me if they attack by mistake I don't want them here..plus mice destroy things..I lost my 12 inch to mice, and one time they destroyed the wiring and fuel lines in my car..$750 repairs.. maybe when I get more settled and here all the time I will get a nice python..I had one a long time ago and he was a wonderful creature.
Maybe a cat but they annoy the spiders.
However next time you go to kill something please try and cultivate kindness..it will reward you.
Alex
Alex,

It was humour mate, I don't kill things.... I detest snakes & spiders but, I do not wish them dead, only that they stay well away from me....

Cheers
Old 04-12-2020, 04:38 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
Alex,

It was humour mate, I don't kill things.... I detest snakes & spiders but, I do not wish them dead, only that they stay well away from me....

Cheers
humour? yes yes...i could see a trace of it but my concern for living things took over and so I just had to say what I said...for some it will confirm their low opinion of me and take all that I said as even more evidence that I am crazy...and to some degree my reply was an attempt at humour by drawing attention to some of my personal experiences with spiders and how I leave the night lights on for them...but the way I figure it is whilst the lights are on they wont be wandering over me as I sleep...so who is the crazy one now.
I do hope you are well ... got any more jokes?
alex
Old 04-12-2020, 04:54 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
humour? yes yes...i could see a trace of it but my concern for living things took over and so I just had to say what I said...for some it will confirm their low opinion of me and take all that I said as even more evidence that I am crazy...and to some degree my reply was an attempt at humour by drawing attention to some of my personal experiences with spiders and how I leave the night lights on for them...but the way I figure it is whilst the lights are on they wont be wandering over me as I sleep...so who is the crazy one now.
I do hope you are well ... got any more jokes?
alex
We're all crazy in our own special way... it's what keeps us sane.....

Think about it... some of us spend hours capturing imaging data & even more hours processing it.... rarely are we satisfied with our efforts.... if that's not crazy, I'm not sure what is...

We spend stupid amounts of money chasing the nirvana of astro gear... we tell ourselves (&/or significant other), we just need this one piece of kit & we'll be set.... over & over again.... crazy stuff no?

All of us here spend hours creeping about in the dark, putting up screens to shield the neighbours lights or, driving around searching out that perfect dark sky site... hmmmm, this is not crazy behaviour at all eh?

We curse when someone turns on a white light in our vicinity... yep, not crazy at all...

I kinda like our special kinda crazy...

I could go on... I have plenty of other 'special kinda crazy' stuff I'm into....

Keep being crazy Alex... it makes one interesting...
Old 04-12-2020, 08:00 PM
Zuts

Hi,

Looking better and better Alex. I am too greedy to throw out too much data
Old 05-12-2020, 03:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I have added data with much different framing such that the result will only contain the Spider....culled and culled got down to 460 subs started stacking but the desk top shut down because it is just too hot...so I wait.. got rid of very noisy subs in particular about 30 ha that I mistakenly captured at about 500 plus gain ( the setting I have to brighten up dim stars when focusing..forgot to change back) the removal of those should see some decent texture now within the core. So behind schedule... got my other desk and bed for the observatory this morning so it is really coming together...plus I have arranged to have someone instal the 8 solar panels , batteries, inverter/ charger turning something that would take me a month into a day job..hope to order stuff this week if I have time. Edit..this is my big Huntsman Spider who should be at the other end of the van but he is attracted to the big screen of the fesk top. Any suggestion for a name..
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20201205_204050.jpg)
185.6 KB10 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 05-12-2020 at 08:58 PM.