Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Davi5678 (Dave)

Bang for buck in Spotting scopes?

Is it worth putting money into a spotting scope? I'm trying to decide between three scopes - a Celestron Ultima 100, an Ultima 100 ED or should I invest in a Celestron Regal 100.
The approximate prices are $300 to $400, $700 to 900 or around $1700.

I already have a pair of Celestron 20x80 binos.

I suspect that the Ultima 100 is only going to be marginally better then the bino's I'm currently using.
The ED would be better but how much? (the bino's have some chromatic aberration (?) when viewing Jupiter the edges fragment into red and blue)

I imagine the Regal's would have significantly better optics but I suspect it may be overcapitalising putting that much money into a spotting scope.

I'm looking at spotting scopes because I want something rugged and durable for camping/motorcyling etc, my initial post about said subject drew a lot of horror at the thought of putting delicate optical gear on the back of a nasty vibrating motorbike
The other benefits a of a spotter would be the ability to use it during the day and as a telephoto lens.
Old 27-10-2010, 03:04 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

if you are prepared to buy form o/seas US you can save sugnificant dollars - at short f/l these scopes will show a fair bit of colour so go the ED..i ahve had some reagl gear & its there top of the line - thats what i would get - the 100 in the US can be had for under 1000

Last edited by dannat; 27-10-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 27-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

I have a 100mm Barska Blackhawk. It exhibits, at best, minimal CA in daylight and is virtualy un-noticable on stars, though, again minimally, present on the moon and brighter planets.. Opticsplanet.com is flogging them at about $US400.
OPT (oceanside photographic & telescope) has the 100mm Regal for $US580. If you do order from the US I'd suggest you ask them to 'field test' it for you to make sure you get a good copy.
You're correct about spotters being more rugged than your average telescope. My Blackhawk is covered in rubber and weatherproof. I don't know about the Regal.
Peter
Old 28-10-2010, 08:34 AM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

there is a ultima 100ED on fleabay for less than 500 at the moment http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Celestron-Ult...0#ht_649wt_883
saves you from buying o/seas & saves a few dollars
if you were to purchase this one imo a fixed power good qulaity eyepiece may be a worthwhile buy -