Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-03-2024, 12:06 PM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

SHO Eta Carinae Neb (NGC3372)

The utterly crap weather continues in SEQLD - it really has been atrocious since Oct 23. But I have my gear out when I can :-) Here's my poorly framed Eta Carinae Neb (NGC3372); I got as much in the frame as possible using a SW82ED Evolux and ASI294MM combo. It's about 7.5hrs total SHO using Optolong 7nm NB filters. Stacked in APP, edited in PI, tweaked in PS. Sharing the ICE-murdered image for fun. Hi-res here. Thanks for looking, Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC3372_Carinae_Neb_Final_1 copy_small.jpg)
207.5 KB79 views

Last edited by Doogs38; 24-03-2024 at 11:11 PM.
Old 25-03-2024, 12:52 PM
ahmed_haider (Ahmed)
Resplendent_southern_sky

Brilliant capture!
Hope you get better weather soon
Old 25-03-2024, 01:34 PM
Dave882 (David)

Great pic! The full res detail is stunning!!
Old 25-03-2024, 07:15 PM
AstroViking (Steve)

What they said. The hi-res image is fantastic!
Old 27-03-2024, 02:39 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

OK. Its been a hot minute since I look at this part of IIS. I saw this post and I was like "I recognize that name!".

All I'm saying is, why are you posting masterpieces like this in the beginners section? Your as much a beginner as I am an astronaut, and I am definitely not an astronaut.

C'mon mate. Its time to join the big boys where you belong!
Old 28-03-2024, 08:23 AM
Bodon (Steve)

Alex
Great stuff mate!
Old 28-03-2024, 10:21 PM
Doogs38 (Alex)
Wingnut

Hey thanks Steve x 2, Adrian, Ahmed and Dave. I absolutely love this hobby - it’s quite technical, artistic and we have some extraordinary tools available to us. The data for this image was pretty good to start with and I kept only the best frames, but the processing software is where the magic is. APP, PI and PS to name three big ones. Not to mention the various addons for PI and PS - they can help make an average image shine I still class myself as a beginner, but perhaps a more advanced beginner with about 2 years under my belt and countless hours experimenting with many of the things in the toolbox, just to see what they do. It’s given me a reasonable sense of what works for particular cameras, filters and targets. But I’m still learning, always learning.

BTW, the 480mm FL (with 0.9 F/R) of SW82ED Evolux is very nicely matched with the smaller pixels (2.3nm) of the ASI294MM in Bin1 mode. Bin1’ slightly retrograde specs compared to Bin2 are not obvious to me - I just use a different gain (108 for NB, and 0 for BB). While Bin1 file sizes are big at 100Mb each due to 8288*5644 pixels (47mpix), the trade is a truly outstanding level of captured detail. Post processing also takes a bit longer My sole remaining ASIAIR Plus (…I use NINA on my other scopes) handles the Bin1 file size without any issues as does my home network.

Alex