Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2014, 09:50 AM
glend (Glen)

Dark Site Weekend Hire?

Arthur A and I were discussing the possibility of doing a group hire of a dark site once in awhile, most likely from a farmer or stockist with a spot that is hired out to clubs etc on a casual basis. I know there are a few 'lifestyle' type properties that are hired out to 4WD clubs and have a few basic facilities. We were thinking of locating something further west of the central coast/Newcastle area out along the Golden Highway (Merriwa to Dunedoo), where there is good elevation and darkness; and the road is good to get there. Anyone know of a suitable place out that way?

This is not a replacement for Bretti, rather someplace different with maybe a few more facilities. Don't suggest Lostock as the weather there is not very reliable, and we'd like something abit futher west in the dividing range.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Allan

Interesting you bring this up Glen. I have been looking at land to buy west of Merriwa to put an observatory on. I camped out there last weekend at a spot about 30km west of Merriwa. The block wasn't suitable, but I am in no hurry, this is something I will spend the next year or two working on.

But the sky was dark, 21.72 SQM with the Milky Way still in the western sky. Elevation was 1500 feet, with higher spots as you keep heading west. It took me 2 hours to get to Merriwa, so as you say it's not a bad drive.

I like that area because it's as dark as Bretti, but the weather is much better out there away from the coast, and the transparency is better because of the higher elevation.

I don't know of any places for hire, because that's not what I have been looking for. Maybe there is someone you could contact in Merriwa, like a real estate agent for example who might know of a farm owner who could come to the party. As you say though, as long as the spot is a bit west of Merriwa there will be no light domes from the Musswelbrook/Scone area.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Rick and I were looking (in the real estate agents window) at some properties for sale out near Gloucester/Barrington last time we were out there.

There seems to be a consistent thread of interest here.

But renting presents some real advantages I guess.

I have some previous contact near Dunedoo (as some of you may remember), although a lot has changed since then, (eg I retired), but I will see if there is any interest.

Keep us in the loop
Old 10-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

My previous work contact has replied.
Early stages yet, but at least it has been allowed to progress, positively.

Quote:
Hi ...,
My amateur astronomy group is looking to hire a bit of land out Dunedoo way.
Away from light pollution, and with some decent weather.
I was wondering if we still have a contact with that property out at Dunedoo, or any
others in the area, that might like to supplement their income a little with a
non-intrusive group (say 6 to 12 of us) of astronomers for 3 to 5 days at a time.
Around new moon.
Possibly three or four times a year.
Some basic amenities would be an advantage.
...etc.
Quote:
Hi Al,
I have asked the question and will let you know when I hear from site.
Regards,
Old 11-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Arthur Alchin (Arthur Alchin)
Honey based Meade

Absolutely

Hi Allan

I remember that site a Leah's creek very well, it was such a good pick of yours, and flat as, which was great.

If we could get there again what a ripper. I was out there recently and have friends in Mudgee who are of the impression the mine is either on hold or not going ahead
Old 11-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Wavytone

If you don't need to own it, one place does come to mind. The paraglider and hang-glider community use this occasionally so I would expect you could arrange access for stargazing.

At Lake St Clair, about 30km north of Singleton there is a recreation area with facilities for camping etc. The key attraction is the big hill on the east side if the lake, it's a high broad ridge with no trees, acres of grass. There are two private roads up, with locked gates -it is owned by the water catchment authority. The south route is very steep and rough only suitable for serious 4WDs (not subarus or the likes of RAV4). The northern route is passable for 2wd car.

I've been there before at night - it's high, very dark and the camp ground is far enough away to be no trouble.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:05 AM
glend (Glen)

Thanks Wavy..the problem with the Hunter Valley (including Lake St Clair area) are two fold: increasing light pollution as those towns grow, and the coal fired generator plants and open pit mines which result in a brown dust haze hanging in the valley. It is usually very visible coming down the hill at Murrundi into the upper valley, and affects seeing over a wide area adjacent to the valley as well. The dust can be blown away by a good wind but the light domes from all those towns overlap in some areas. This thread was pitching the idea of getting a spot further west away from the Hunter Valley Light sources and with high elevation, hence the suggestion of going out the Golden Highway to Merriwa and west of there. Of course Bretti is far enough away (being north of Barrigton), and outside the Hunter Valley proper, that there is no effect on seeing or darkness there (based on SKy Quality Metre readings and our seeing experience there), and we continue to support going to that location. It's always nice to have other places to go, and if we can get access to some basic improvements or facilities on a sight then that's a bonus; hence the discussion about getting out further into the ranges but still within a couple of hours of the coast.

The fact that Allan has been searching for land to buy for his observatory in the same area is indicative of a growing consensus that it is a corridor that has great possibilities.

Last edited by glend; 11-07-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:43 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

My first thought was Goulburn River NP. The first camping area has plenty of open space but the only facilities are toilets, tables and fire rings. No water and BYO wood. Unfortunately there are now mines within 20km of the camp ground, which weren't there last time I visited. It used to be dark there and the few times I've been there the weather was good.

There is also Coolah Tops NP. I've stayed at The Pines camping area and it is nice but there are too many trees. The pine trees are also home to about 200 sulphur-crested cockies so the daylight hours are never quiet.

However you should consider Brackens Cottage. It is BYO-almost-everything but it is a roof over your head and it has an indoor fire place. I've been there, but not overnight, and the hut was clean enough. It has a water tank but I'd still take my own drinking water. There is heaps of flat open grassy space around the hut. Elevation is >1000m. What's not to like?

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/.../accommodation
Old 11-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Coolah Tops looks good, thanks David.
It is north west of Merriwa so it meets Glen's location criteria.

I just spoke to the NP people and the cottage is a FLAT $30 per night, so that among 6 to 12 is not much, (but note, 5 beds but no mattresses).
Alternatively, the Camp grounds themselves are currently no charge (unusual for a NP). Also, no park entry fee. 3 campgrounds.
Barracks camp ground seems best with some clear (from trees) spots.

May be worth a visit?
Anyone want to come along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
My first thought was Goulburn River NP. The first camping area has plenty of open space but the only facilities are toilets, tables and fire rings. No water and BYO wood. Unfortunately there are now mines within 20km of the camp ground, which weren't there last time I visited. It used to be dark there and the few times I've been there the weather was good.

There is also Coolah Tops NP. I've stayed at The Pines camping area and it is nice but there are too many trees. The pine trees are also home to about 200 sulphur-crested cockies so the daylight hours are never quiet.

However you should consider Brackens Cottage. It is BYO-almost-everything but it is a roof over your head and it has an indoor fire place. I've been there, but not overnight, and the hut was clean enough. It has a water tank but I'd still take my own drinking water. There is heaps of flat open grassy space around the hut. Elevation is >1000m. What's not to like?

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/.../accommodation
Old 11-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Allan

Coolah Tops is indeed a great spot, it ticks all the boxes, only problem is it's a further 2 hour drive on from Merriwa. I haven't ventured that far along, but would still be keen to go there occasionally.

I have been looking more around Warung State Forest, which is only 30 minutes out from Merriwa and would be a more permanent option.

Allan I would be keen to come for a drive with you, but my training still has one month to go. After that life will get back to normal.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM
glend (Glen)

Hmm, nice cottage, but national park mean no dogs so that's not possible for me right now - one of the things that's great about Bretti.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:48 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

ASNSW Wiruna is 4hrs drive, in the same rough vicinity as the other places you mentioned. $7 per night for camping, $12 per night if you choose one of the bunk houses.

The House there provides bathrooms, showers, kitchen, lounge room and sleeps up to 12 people.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:09 PM
glend (Glen)

The ASNSW website says Wiruna is not available for hire during new moon periods as that is reserved for members. The new moon period is exactly when we would want to be at the dark site. Not interested in joining ASNSW.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 PM
tlgerdes (Trevor)
Love the moonless nights!

We have had plenty of non members up there on the new moon weekends. Had a group of 20 from one of the uni's not that long ago . Contact Joe Gauchi the Wiruna VP. We are more concerned about non astro groups crashing the party.

If you do, tell him I referred you.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 PM
daine042 (Daine)

It really isnt all that bad out towards lake st claire there are 2 observatories on the road to the dam wall both mostly for imaging. I am sitting out here now and can quite easily see the milky way there is a bit of sky glow back towards singleton but its not that bad