Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Neutronstar (T)

So much seems to about the mount.

Hi all,

I have been through a medical scare recently and it’s given me resolve to proceed with investing in some quality observing equipment for myself and the family. The kids have done little observing, so any scope will be an adventure for them. I would prefer to buy quality beginner gear that will step me up from the spotting scope on camera tripod that we are currently using.

Storage space is a premium so it has to be small, scopes do spend more time being stored than used. Additionally it will likely ride in the boot as I will have opportunity to spend a night or two outside my city's air and light pollution and do some more serious observing.

A DOB is not really an option for me to store. The fully collapsible truss jobs just too expensive. I wish someone would make an all metal, packable, UltraCompact truss DOB with 8 inch mirror for a good price.

That said I am looking at initially perhaps a Tak FS-60Q. I would perhaps later add a OTA in the form of a 5 or 6" Mak. Mount is where I am stumbling. It seems to me that a lot of the setup is in the mount. The mount can easily cost more than the OTA.

Every time I consider mounts I keep coming back to the Vixen GPD2 on price and quality. There is I understand also an added cost to adapt the Tak to the Vixen. Would this mount suit the FS-60Q or is it over/under kill for the job? How about the newer Vixen AP? What would be a good mount choice for the above?

I could venture so Astrophotography down the track so am convinced a good GEM mount is for us.

Many thanks for the replies.

Tim
Old 26-11-2014, 02:18 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

Hi Tim
The GPD2 is indeed an excellent mount, and would very easily accommodate a Tak FS60-definitely overkill, but it will happily take a much larger scope at a later date-I had a Tak TSA120 on mine with no problems. The GPD2 is a cut above the chinese mounts for quality and precision, too, and would serve you well for astrophotography. If you want Go-To, the Skywatcher Synscan EQ5 kit bolts straight on.
Old 27-11-2014, 07:07 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Hi Tim, you could get a good solid AltAz mount for the FS60 now - Vixen Porta, Stellarvue M1 and Manfrotto geared heads come to mind, possibly 2nd hand - and cross the AP bridge when you actually get to it. Whatever EQ mount (or scope, for that matter) you get at that point will be the result of a more informed decision and may or may not allow you to re sell the AltAz. Also the money needed for it is in your bank longer. In the meantime, you can just enjoy observing and don't have to muck around with oberkill (see Larry's post) equipment.

The FS60 is a great little scope, and even though I have the FC76 objective for it, I frequently use it in its 60mm configuration for it sheer convenience.

Edit: The AYO Traveller from AOK Swiss is a nice one too, but probably hard to find 2nd hand in AUS

Last edited by N1; 27-11-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 27-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
Edit: The AYO Traveller from AOK Swiss is a nice one too, but probably hard to find 2nd hand in AUS
On that note, I've got a William Optics EZ-Touch (identical design to the AOK, but made in China) that I'm going to put up for sale on IceTrace soon. Just saying...

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 27-11-2014, 03:24 PM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
On that note, I've got a William Optics EZ-Touch (identical design to the AOK, but made in China) that I'm going to put up for sale on IceTrace soon. Just saying...

Cheers
Steffen.
Steffen, now you've got me thinking But I'd give Tim first option if I did decide to give it a try. The 410 Junior I've got works fine...
Old 27-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Kunama

I too had a Vix GP-D2 mount and found it a very good little mount, much better built than the chinese clones.
My little FS60Q rides on a small Teegul SM mount, perfect lightweight setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_0551.jpg)
116.4 KB46 views

Last edited by Kunama; 27-11-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 28-11-2014, 01:48 AM
raymo

I am a little mystified as to why if imaging is further down the track for you, you would choose such a small scope for observational use, regardless of how good it is. I would have thought that you would soon
have got tired of it's limited light gathering ability. Maybe I'm missing
something.
raymo
Old 28-11-2014, 06:52 AM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
I am a little mystified as to why if imaging is further down the track for you, you would choose such a small scope for observational use, regardless of how good it is. I would have thought that you would soon
have got tired of it's limited light gathering ability. Maybe I'm missing
something.
raymo
I was wondering the same actually. A visual refractor would have to be at least 80mm and preferably 100+ to be useful IMHO. I'd suggest a minimum of an ED80 in that case as it is also very useful photographically later. 3 or 4 decent EPs and a decent AZ or small EQ tripod mount and you have the beginnings of a useful and long lifed setup.
My grab & go would be the AZ3 and either the SW 80 f5 or SW 80 f11 although I have taken the Lunt 102 f7 on occaison, It all fits in the boot.
Old 28-11-2014, 08:50 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Brent & Ray, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I've yet to get tired of my 60mm. Have you had the opportunity to compare the FS60 side by side, same night, same spot, with an ED80? I have. There is nothing the ED80 can do that the smaller & lighter 60mm Tak can't do at least as well, IMHO. For instance, an 80 will show the same DSO 1.3 times bigger than a 60, at the same brightness - just based on the numbers. That difference is laughable to start with and becomes more so when the bigger scope is not top notch. This is in line with Ed Ting's experience, who used a cheap 80mm achro for comparison, which was left in the dirt by the Tak. So it's reasonable to expect the FS60 to be on par with an average ED80.

Besides the FS60, I have the FC 76mm objective and a 10" dob. The 76 I only bought because of its relative affordability when used on the FS60 back. I would not have got it as a separate scope, and switching back and forth for comparison has confirmed this to be a good decision. I use it for its extra resolution. If I was to sell all scopes but one, and even if the 76 was a standalone scope, it's the 60 that would stay, hands down. And when it comes to portability, it's beaten by nothing.

All this being said, a 2nd hand Sky90 might be worth considering for Tim, given that he hasn't actually bought his scope yet and given he is considering a Takahashi.
Old 28-11-2014, 08:56 AM
glend (Glen)

Just invest in a good goto equatorial mount - it will serve you for many years to come. Thisis essential if you contemplate any imaging in the future. A HEQ5 type or similiar would be the minimum configuration in my opinion.

An Alt/Az mount like the Vixen Porta Ii, say with the JMI Train and Track motors is a good grab and go fod visual observation - I have one and its great with refractors.

It's all about the Base!
Old 28-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Neutronstar (T)

All of this feedback has been most welcome. I had considered an ED80 in a Vixen or Stellarview. I guess its the reviews online and here at Ice have led me back to the Tak over and over. My audience is new to observing and any view will be a good view I think. The Sky90 is an interesting option. I will read up on it.

I have to say you have me thinking about going scope first with a alt/az mount now! At least I can get observing quick.

@ Kunama: thanks for going to the trouble to post the photo, it speaks volumes and its always nice to have the eye candy.
Old 28-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Neutronstar (T)

I do have one further question.

What would be the best way (what is a good adapter) to put a Tak FS60Q tube holder on a Vixen Alt/Az mount or a GPD2 mount?
Old 30-11-2014, 01:23 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Hi Tim the Takahashi sky90 is a great scope , performs way better than a 90mm f5.5 should .
On the mounting of a Tak to Vixen just buy a short dovetail from Andrews or Bintel and bolt it on to the Tak clamshell as I have done here , its my sky90 on Viven SP mount , this is an awesome set up .

I will try and find a photo of my now sold FS60C on a GSO alt/az mount and post it for you .

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (trip to perth 125 (1000x669).jpg)
66.5 KB45 views