Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2019, 09:06 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Interests come and go. Don't sell anything in rush though. You never know, you might be missing it when it's gone. Hobbies are like life. The more diversified the better. Obssession is not good for one's mental health imho, whatever your drug is. But you have to admit looking up with a reclining chair and a pair of binoculars sipping on some port never gets old where ever you are.
Wise words Marc

This hobby and others can get obsessive. No need to feel guilty about time out, as long as the nights it all comes together are still fun and with good company from time to time.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:17 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
it was a clear evening night in melbourne but the smoke haze from the recent fires killed it
Just went outside and wow! - a clear sky and so many stars! It's been a while since we had a clear night. Forecast says min 21C tonight, so we might get the coldest night this year so far. Might put my act together and build that long awaited obsy before winter comes.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

A lot of people here have made a few good suggestions. For me the main one would be to keep the Mach 1. It can be used for wide field and it can be used for visual if you feel like going down that path for shorter viewing sessions (if visual interests you). It is also the most difficult piece of kit you have to replace. If you're feeling disgruntled with astronomy as a hobby in general at the moment (more so astrophotography) it could be good to see how you feel at the end of this up and coming winter period.

I know myself I go into an astro hiatus over the summer period due to astronomical darkness not hitting until I should be in bed and twilight again beginning around the time i should be getting up to go to work. November - Feb is also my busiest time of year at work so apart from occasionally sneaking in a bit of rare occasional visual I don't do anything astro for a solid few months but I do try to make up for it in Winter.

If after this Winter period you're still not feeling it anymore, selling everything but the Mach 1 could be a good idea. If after another year or two you still don't find yourself missing it or using it at all, then maybe it'll be time to go. Come January I do personally start getting a bit disgruntled myself as I don't have any time to get out and do anything at night but that'll all start changing around now until October/November when I'll go through this again.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:46 AM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I know myself I go into an astro hiatus over the summer period due to astronomical darkness not hitting until I should be in bed and twilight again beginning around the time i should be getting up to go to work.
You live in northern Europe ?
There (where I live) is indeed the case that it twilights almost all night long. And the daylight "savings" time makes it worse.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:05 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysurfer View Post
You live in northern Europe ?
There (where I live) is indeed the case that it twilights almost all night long. And the daylight "savings" time makes it worse.
I’m in Melbourne, Australia.

Darkness hits at 10:30pm and twilight beginning at 4:30am in the height of summer.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:02 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it. I've been mulling over the responses here and I think for now I'll hang onto my gear and see how I feel when I finally get some clear skies; maybe that will get the fire started again. No sense in rushing a decision here.

In the meantime maybe I'll take a leaf out of Suavi's book and try to learn how to fish.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:16 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I’m in Melbourne, Australia.

Darkness hits at 10:30pm and twilight beginning at 4:30am in the height of summer.
That means plenty of dark sky in a summer night.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:40 AM
N1 (Mirko)

Quote:

Don't know about Melbs, but over here, summer is mostly crap for a number of reasons, reduced dark hours just being one of them (and nights are even shorter here). Nothing like a crisp, clear, steady winter's night
Old 12-03-2019, 09:36 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Wasn’t suggesting there wasn’t a good amount of hours,more so that imaging and getting enough sleep for my 10-12 hour work days during that period isn’t great.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:49 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it. ........

In the meantime maybe I'll take a leaf out of Suavi's book and try to learn how to fish.
Haha, talk about trading off one frustrating hobby for another.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it. I've been mulling over the responses here and I think for now I'll hang onto my gear and see how I feel when I finally get some clear skies; maybe that will get the fire started again. No sense in rushing a decision here.

Great to hear about your decision to hang onto your gear. Maybe we could try another project together one day, like we did with the Cent A?

As for fishing, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it is worth trying IMO. I used to fish regularly (read: almost daily) back in the days, but now mostly do it for being one with the sea and only on a good day. It's kind of similar to stargazing me thinks.

Glen: Funny comment, but strangely enough- I am never frustrated about fishing nor astro. Just wish I could do both more often
Old 12-03-2019, 09:54 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Lee,

I understand the dilemma. Got over $15k in a scope but since my stroke 5 yrs ago I can't use it and since i'm not getting much support towards treatment never likely to be able to use it in the future. Got mortgage too. But still its a good rig and represents a solid chunk of cash i could badly use but selling I wont likely get even 10% in return. and if i do get treatment support I'll never have the money to buy a replacement in the future if i sold. So i hang onto it in storage in hope people might help me with treatment though clear they won't. In the mean time I was able to repurpose smaller gear to continue my interest in astrophotography which is good but also frustrating knowing I've got gear sitting gathering dust to take my efforts to the next level.

I guess you have to decide if you need the money bad enough in the short term or not. If you sell will you be likely to afford similar or better gear later? Or just downsize with gear suited to your lifestyle and put efforts into different skills you do enjoy. Look honestly at what prevents you getting outside? Can you change the negatives so they dont exist anymore?
Dont complain about the situation though, you have choices, be thankful you havent had a stroke destroying your life forever but leaving you alive to suffer.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I feel your pain.

I'm going through a trial separation at the moment, with the hope of reconciling. I've moved into my own new apartment and haven't touched any of my gear since August last year, as it's in the observatory at the missus' place. My balcony faces due west. I've ended up in a h0ughy situation -- I am opposite a Bunnings and the orange floodlights are wonderful.

I think about all the projects I was working on, and, what I had hoped to work on, every single day. It hurts.

I haven't set up my computer as I don't have a desk yet. There's gigs upon gigs of data waiting to be processed.

Having said all that, I just can't even begin to think about parting with my FSQ-106N, nor the FS-60CB. The rest of the gear can go, but, not the scope.

I'm glad you decided to hold on to your gear; the regret and remorse after selling it would have made you miserable. While the skies may be crappy, you still have your gear. The best time of year is coming upon us quickly, and, I hope for your sake that you're able to get out and enjoy it again.

H
Old 12-03-2019, 12:29 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
I feel your pain.

I'm going through a trial separation at the moment, with the hope of reconciling. I've moved into my own new apartment and haven't touched any of my gear since August last year, as it's in the observatory at the missus' place. My balcony faces due west. I've ended up in a h0ughy situation -- I am opposite a Bunnings and the orange floodlights are wonderful.

I think about all the projects I was working on, and, what I had hoped to work on, every single day. It hurts.

I haven't set up my computer as I don't have a desk yet. There's gigs upon gigs of data waiting to be processed.

Having said all that, I just can't even begin to think about parting with my FSQ-106N, nor the FS-60CB. The rest of the gear can go, but, not the scope.

I'm glad you decided to hold on to your gear; the regret and remorse after selling it would have made you miserable. While the skies may be crappy, you still have your gear. The best time of year is coming upon us quickly, and, I hope for your sake that you're able to get out and enjoy it again.

H
H, not to depress you, but you know those Tak's are assets in relation to any eventual financial settlement. I was forced to sell my wooden boat to clear a debt during the wrangling for $. Maybe they should have come with you, even if they are just in the closet. They can be held hostage. People get really nasty when lawyers start pulling the strings. Good luck.
Old 13-03-2019, 08:49 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Thats is exactly what I've been through last couple years, finally made the decision to put my time, energy & $ into something with atleast some returns, both dollar wise & practicality ! Also admittingly, I am not the type who enjoys sitting at a lappy for hours, let alone learning progs & Narrow-band to image from the Burbs, just not my cup-o-tea ?

Sooner play mechanics, tools & workshop steel stuff, restoration etc

Am still keeping my Star Tracker and/or a small eq5 mount for a fix when camping, always attracts interests within the camp grounds !

That said, everyone's choice is totally their own, and no one has to do a particular hobbie till the end of their days...
Also, I have decided to sell most of my gear now, which is not a real lot & definitely not expensive kit, tho atleast get something back ?

Just my Bob's worth - Lee

Kind Rgrds

Last edited by astronobob; 14-03-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 13-03-2019, 10:31 PM
JimsShed (Jim)

Do they even have fish at Kilcoy?
Old 14-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Hey Glen,

We've gone through the hassle, time and expense of getting legal agreements drawn up already; all my astro stuff is mine, if the worst should happen.

Day-by-day things are getting better, so, I'm hopeful that it all resolves for the best.

I'm sorry you had to sell your boat.

Also, I hope your health is better after last year's scare.

Cheers.

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
H, not to depress you, but you know those Tak's are assets in relation to any eventual financial settlement. I was forced to sell my wooden boat to clear a debt during the wrangling for $. Maybe they should have come with you, even if they are just in the closet. They can be held hostage. People get really nasty when lawyers start pulling the strings. Good luck.
Old 14-03-2019, 10:05 PM
leon

Gee H that is not good mate, and i an so sorry to here that news, hang on to the Taks mate at least, I know how good they really are.
I hope things improve mate, but not to be a stick in the mud things will never be the same, although you would like that to be the case, I have been there myself.

Leon
Old 16-03-2019, 05:57 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hey H,

I'm really sorry to hear that news mate, especially as it doesn't seem that long since you guys got together. Hope you get things sorted in a way that allows you both to be happy matey
Old 16-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:

good.

your images are excellent and you seem to get enviable seeing at times - be a real shame to have a bit of future sky goodness up there and no-one making use of it.

Last edited by Shiraz; 17-03-2019 at 03:55 AM.