Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-08-2020, 01:25 AM
langman78 (Ben)

iOptron iPolar camera with SkyTracker 3302B

Hi all,

To my surprise I recently discovered that iOptron's iPolar could in fact be used in conjunction with my early SkyTracker.
I've had the tracker since it's release. Prior to owning I had next to no hands on experience with polar alignment.
Was left a little disappointed with struggling consistently to align well enough to accomplish sub's greater than 45 sec as locating Sigma was very challenging. The opportunity to travel to ideal locations with darker sky's is far and few between and even then, there was minimal improvement. My current location isn't ideal but wouldn't say terrible (40-45km's Nth East of Melbourne).
So my question is if anyone here has firstly used this camera with this tracker and do you think it's worth the investment? And secondly, how does this camera perform in semi light polluted skies in locating sigma?
Any intel would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ben
Old 23-08-2020, 02:06 PM
Fox

G’day Ben,

If you’re patient, I might be able to answer your question in future. I’ve always used my Meade LXD75 polar scope to PA align, and find it really works for me, even from light polluted suburban Melbourne. I’m told that I am a rare case in my ability to do this! Having recently got a SW mount though, I’m having much more difficulty with the stock Skywatcher polar scope, because the FOV and polar scope reticle are different to the Meade (the SW doesn’t show all 4 Octans trapezium stars). It’s only a ‘little different’ but enough to hinder me from getting alignment.

So I am planning to get the iPolar. I gather some people had problems when it first came out, but it seems hopefully the bugs have been ironed out. Covid has obviously held up ordering/shipment, but if the iPolar eventually arrives, I’ll certainly report my experience. I know this must be of great interest to us Sigma Octans southern users.

Cheers, Fox
Old 23-08-2020, 09:49 PM
langman78 (Ben)

Hi Fox.
Appreciate the reply.
Look forward hearing back with your report on the ipolar.
Originally I owned a 8se (now sold) for visual use only along with basic lunar photography with my DSLR. Started to get some interest after a couple of yrs of accomplishing some more serious AP. Little did I know how deep the AP rabbit hole goes as far as big bucks is concerned. Hence me deciding to take baby steps and purchased the my sky tracker but as has I mentioned I was left a bit deflated with the difficulty of getting a decent polar alignment.
Trying to gain a bit more interest in the hobby during COVID lockdown I come across the ipolar and thought this could be exactly what I知 looking for. But at $400 or so dollars with no guarantee of it working is a bit of a gamble I知 not willing to take nor afford.
I wondering if this camera could be used as a guide camera also once polar alignment had been achieved?
Old 24-08-2020, 12:09 PM
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by langman78 View Post
Hi Fox.
Appreciate the reply.
Look forward hearing back with your report on the ipolar.
Originally I owned a 8se (now sold) for visual use only along with basic lunar photography with my DSLR. Started to get some interest after a couple of yrs of accomplishing some more serious AP. Little did I know how deep the AP rabbit hole goes as far as big bucks is concerned. Hence me deciding to take baby steps and purchased the my sky tracker but as has I mentioned I was left a bit deflated with the difficulty of getting a decent polar alignment.
Trying to gain a bit more interest in the hobby during COVID lockdown I come across the ipolar and thought this could be exactly what I知 looking for. But at $400 or so dollars with no guarantee of it working is a bit of a gamble I知 not willing to take nor afford.
I wondering if this camera could be used as a guide camera also once polar alignment had been achieved?
Hi Ben, your welcome.

I have a deposit on the iPolar, I知 hoping its not too far away now. I understand your comment about the AP rabbit hole, I intend to start with baby steps first, lunar and planetary, I知 getting my gear together slowly, but the lockdown has made my progress slow. I知 really keen to see if the iPolar can do it痴 job from my location. Regarding your guide camera question, from what I understand about the design and focal length requirements for guide scopes, I doubt the iPolar can be adapted, indeed can the iPolar camera be detached from the lens, let alone will the electronics and software allow such repurposing... ? I doubt it.

Fox