Go Back   IceInSpace > IceTrade Classifieds > IceTrade Archives
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Imme (Jon)

CORRECTION modified Canon camera cooled/full spectrum

CORRECTION CORRECTION CORRECTION.........

I HAVE JUST BEEN ADVISED BY THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF THIS CAMERA THAT IT IS NOT A CENTRALDS MODIFIED CAMERA. IT WAS MODIFIED BY Luis Campos in Portugal for the original owner.

I apologise for any confusion however I was led to believe it was CENTRALDS when I purchased it...stupid me.
The person who has offered to buy this will be notified of this update via pm.

modified Canon 400D camera

This camera has had a couple of previous owners on ISS.....I believe I'm the 3rd???
Here are the previous For Sale links....the first with a few sample images to show what the camera can do.
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...t=canon+cooled
https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...t=canon+cooled

The camera has been professional modified by Centralds. (Correction - not centralds, it was modified by Luis Campos in Portugal)
It has -
- A 'cold finger' cooling system. Temp is adjustable via the knob on the control box. It also has the ability to set to a pre-selected temperature so you can take all pics at the same temperature and obviously then use the same dark library. I have found the cold finger mod will reduce camera temperature to 15'C-20'C below ambient air temperature.
- A sensor dew heater to keep it from icing up. Controlled by the silver toggle switch on the control box.
- A full spectrum modification via the installation of a Baader ACF filter

This camera needs a 12v power source to run the cooling. This can be a 240v adapter or car battery. No power source is included in sale.
240v adapters are cheap on ebay or somewhere like Jaycar (5A is what I used).

I will include 3 x Canon batteries (They all appear to charge up OK), a Canon battery charger and a 240v canon substitute battery power adapter in the sale. PLEASE NOTE - the 240v canon substitute battery power adapter (it takes the place of the battery) at times does not supply enough voltage to run the camera (ebay supplied from China)......I found giving the terminals a scuff and re-installing helps resolve this.

I ran this camera with Astro Photography Tool (APT) without issue via the supplied DSUSB Shoestring astronomy adapter on a windows 7 machine. If you're running Windows 8/10 please check whether DSUSB drivers will work (only reason I say this is I recently hooked an EQ5 up to a windows 10 machine and the EQDIRECT cable driver I had wasn't supported so I had to swap it out for a FTDI cable from Amazon which cost me $28).
The camera could also be used without a computer by slapping a memory card in it (not included). I believe you could also use an interval meter (I think that's what they're called) to do a imaging run with it. This makes it a really portable setup for those that image away from home.

The last 2 pics shows how it cooled down in a quick test this morning. First pic was with no cooler on at ambient temperature (16.9'C), second pic was taken about 20 minutes later (-1.1'C).

So it's clear....the sale consists of the Canon 400D modified camera modified by Luis Campos in Portugal, the Shoestring Astronomy DSUSB box, 3 x canon batteries, a canon battery charger, a canon battery replacement powered by 240v (probably do with replacement) and cables shown in the pictures. I will box up in a protective hard case for postage.

Price - how does $450 sound? (including postage within Aus)
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1254.jpg)
180.9 KB169 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1258.jpg)
62.7 KB135 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1259.jpg)
70.8 KB147 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1263.jpg)
50.1 KB120 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1264.jpg)
59.9 KB116 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1269.jpg)
52.2 KB102 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1279.jpg)
49.8 KB117 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1280.jpg)
71.7 KB133 views

Last edited by Imme; 11-03-2020 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Update