Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Dash03 (Darryl)

Astronomy Club Emerald QLD

Hi Everyone,

Im new to the forums and new to Astronomy.
I was wondering if anyone Knows if there is a Astronomy Club in Emerald QLD if so where can i find some info on it, if not is anyone interested in starting one.

cheers

Dash03
Old 15-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Mick (Michael)

Hi Darryl,
Welcome to the forum, I don’t think there is an astronomy club or group in Emerald unfortunately.
We had one in Mackay for a few years but the weather makes it difficult to keep people interest. The best part of a club or group for me was the school events that we participated in. There are a couple of us that get together sometimes, not often enough though.
If you get a group going keep it informal because you will get a lot of people that will come out of curiosity and once they have had a look they will move on.
I lived in Emerald for a couple of years so I know your area well. You have lots of good places to view out there and some very dark skies so get out and have a go.

Old 15-11-2010, 11:06 AM
xstream (John)
Grey Nomad

Hi Darryl,

Unfortunately Emerald doesn't have a club or group. I posted a request to start a group back in June but received no interest. Anna and I will be leaving here the end of next week and will probably be back end of April beginning of May 2011. if you're still around in the area then and are still interested, we would be more than happy to get together.

Last year we held a few public viewing nights through the Central Highlands Science Centre in the Showgrounds, if you were to contact Laine who runs the science centre I'm sure she would be able to put you in contact with a couple of people who may be interested or you may like to do a couple of public nights yourself.
There are plenty of people in the Centrel Highlands who have an interest, it's just a matter of dragging them out of the woodwork.
Old 15-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Dash03 (Darryl)

cool thanks for that John hope to hear from you when u get back.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Arash

astronomy emerald

Hi guys,
Have any of you living in Emerald at the moment? I am moving to Emerald in 4weeks time. I am interested in astronomy and wondering if any of you have started an astronomy club there. I am very keen.

Last edited by Arash; 06-08-2011 at 04:35 PM.