Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2014, 08:15 PM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
well I m just playing with my new FLI 8300C - need to get some capture software instead of the fli grab window one. only testing to see how it works
Oh can't wait to see some images from it.
Saw it the other night and it looked like a great bit of gear.
Good luck mate, hope you guys have a blast.

RB
Old 11-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Tourism advice

So it looks like I might make it up and I won't be needing to rush back - I think I might stop in Brisbane for a couple of days too.

As I'm in no rush, could anyone suggest another site that is astro friendly so I could squeeze out an extra couple of nights?

Also, suggestions for any must-sees in the area, and/or in the Brisbane area, astro or general touristy stuff much appreciated...it's a long drive and I figure I might as well take in as much as I can while I have the opportunity
Old 12-07-2014, 05:56 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Windy on Fri 18 July.
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/so...t-coast/gatton
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/brisbane/ipswich
Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 AM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Cable hell

I have managed to leave preparation for Astrofest until the final weekend - never good I know. I have everything out and trying to remember how I connected everything. I want to first update the firmware on the hand controller of the EQ8 but I cannot for the life me me identify which is the direct PC link cable that was supplied with the mount. I have lots of possible cables, but not sure which is the one originally supplied Can anyone describe it or send a pic?

Cheers
Chris
Old 12-07-2014, 02:06 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Kilcoy got down to -5 this morning. Duckadang would have been -7 maybe.
Hope you're all packing your Winter woolies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (frosty-car.jpg)
166.1 KB54 views
Click for full-size image (_MG_5852jpg.jpg)
178.1 KB57 views
Old 12-07-2014, 05:12 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
Kilcoy got down to -5 this morning. Duckadang would have been -7 maybe.
Hope you're all packing your Winter woolies.
damn that looks cold
Old 12-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

So I'm guessing I'm not going to have to worry about keeping my camera cooled
Old 13-07-2014, 03:24 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Looks like it will be cooled http://ruralco.weatherzone.com.au/lo...t/qld/linville
Old 13-07-2014, 03:56 PM
OneCosmos (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
I have managed to leave preparation for Astrofest until the final weekend - never good I know. I have everything out and trying to remember how I connected everything. I want to first update the firmware on the hand controller of the EQ8 but I cannot for the life me me identify which is the direct PC link cable that was supplied with the mount. I have lots of possible cables, but not sure which is the one originally supplied Can anyone describe it or send a pic?

Cheers
Chris
Ok, so I managed to update the firmware, which is good using any old USB to serial cable. Tick.

Next problem, I simply can't remember exactly how I connected to the PC last year and having no joy so far this year! The manual seems to imply it must be via the hand controller but I really don't recall doing that. I used to start up the mount with the controller and then unplug that and plug in my old EQMOD cable. At least I thought so. Can anyone with an 8 please confirm the correct configuration?

If I have the cables correctly connected I don't seem to have any options to choose that work when I run a program that requires connection (e.g. PHD, SG Pro etc). I see the EQMOD 5/6 option I used to use with the HEQ5 Pro but don't recall that working previously and the only option seems to be Generic Hub (Ascom), but that doesn't connect successfully.

Can someone please remind me of the correct config?

Cheers
Old 14-07-2014, 04:46 PM
h0ughy (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlite View Post
is that the setup i am going to be walking you through on SGP huff lol.

Have you got a plate solver?

trying to figure out what i may need to walk you through lol
I downloaded elbrus and have installed SGP on two machines
Old 14-07-2014, 04:56 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Anything like 'sky tours' conducted at Astrofest?

I'd be happy to put my 17.5" dob up for such a session one night. i had a great time doing such a tour at SPSP last May! Very busy four hours

Any interest?
Old 14-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Zubenel (Wes)
Awe and Wonder

Would love to know what your observing program list looks like??
Old 14-07-2014, 08:02 PM
geoffw89 (Geoff)

I think I'd get a great deal from it Alexander.
Old 14-07-2014, 08:50 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Not too sure if I should put up a ‘list’ as such as I don’t know if Astrofest has ‘sky tours’ as part of their program, and I don’t want to tread on toes. Anything going ahead on my part I will only do with Astrofest approval. Which is the reason for my asking if such a thing as ‘sky tours’ is a part of Astrofest.

A ‘list’ would depend on how many people come along as to how many different objects I would show. A lot of the time would be dedicated to discussing what each object is, what is visible in it, what is going on in the object, origins, eventualities, physics, chemistry, and all in a manner that I don’t intimidate and is easy to understand and follow by people who have little knowledge of things astro. I really want to make astronomy not about rocket science, but about how accessible it is, how easy it is to participate, and how amateur astronomers are making real contributions to real science even with modest equipment.

Some time would also be spent on how to use a scope and how to effectively look at dim objects with averted vision. Most of the people who came along to the sky tour I did at SPSP in may had little or no experience with astronomical telescopes, so it is important to be patient and take the time to make sure they don’t rush their time or experience at the eyepiece.

Much of the objects I will be showing are the sky’s show piece targets, and if the timing of the evening allows:
• Eta Carina has so much to examine, from screaming hot new clusters, a giant dying star, cosmic bubbles, and dark pillars hiding protostars
• Omega Centauri with its exotic extra-galactic origin
• Centaurus A, the Hamburger Galaxy and its massive collision that’s resulted in its odd appearance
• M83 galaxy with its soft arms
• Jewel Box, a lovely chest of diamonds with a couple of rubies to spy out
• M20, the Trifid Nebula with its petals
• M22 globular cluster as an example of a ‘normal’ GC

Also if there are any other objects that people would like to see I’ll do my best to bring up or some other example of a similar object that would be easier to see or is actually visible at the time of the session. That I’ll leave to you to consider!

All this though depends on such an event being given the thumbs up.
Old 14-07-2014, 09:01 PM
stanlite (Grady)

i can't imaging why you couldn't do that Alexander. In the past it has been a very wander over and "oh hey what you looking at there" kind of fair.

I will be bringing up a modded version of Kerbal Space Program and operating Astrofest mission control (willing to take scientific mission profiles from interested parties to the Kerbal System).

Provided a safe place can be located I am willing to leave this program running all astrofest to see what missions people come up with.
Old 14-07-2014, 11:51 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

I and a fellow name Kevin Dixon have been showing people deep sky objects at astrofest since astrofest started just about,but it is normally people being sent to me or kevin to show them objects through our 16" scopes.
No need for permission,just do your own thing.
Nothing formal required at Astrofest.
There are also a few 20" scopes and a 30" scope that are also in the mix.
Cheers
Old 15-07-2014, 01:14 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

You can look through my 16" too, I will be at the Qld Astrofest Fri to Wed nights.
Old 15-07-2014, 12:43 PM
astro_south (Andrew)
No GOTO..I enjoy the hunt

Great Glen - I will be there Sunday to Tuesday (home Wednesday) and I was debating whether to bring my dob up as well as my GEM for wide-field photos, but now I think I will just visit you for my visual fix!!
Old 15-07-2014, 01:23 PM
geoffw89 (Geoff)

Raining on and off here now, only an hour from Duckadang. Setting up conditions for massive frosts I'm sure.

My scopes are out under tarps as I've been tearing my hair out trying to collimate my 9.25 after fitting Bobs Knobs. I'm not sure if it is the collimation but I can't make fine focus. I have only got as far as daytime use of a distant point light and all looks correct so far but nights have become cloudy. I had it out one night and it got drenched in dew while I was waiting for it to cool down and had no dew straps so everything was already blurred. I left it out to warm and dry out the next day with the eyepiece out but didn't look through it so I'm concerned that perhaps the secondary is water spotted. Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe it.
Old 15-07-2014, 02:22 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

Your are welcome Andrew