Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-08-2014, 01:07 AM
nectarine (Bernadette)

Any observing nights planned September - Sydney, NSW?

Hi everyone,
this is my first post here as I actually live in southern Ireland but am coming to visit friends in Sydney from 12th Sep to 2nd October (I was last there in 1988 so really looking forward to the trip). I have already looked into visiting Sydney Observatory while there but am wondering is there organised observing nights anywhere not too far from Sydney that I might be able to get to? I would love the opportunity to get away from the city for 1 or 2 nights and see some dark southern hemisphere skies. Any suggestions or feedback greatly appreciated. I may be able to borrow a friend's car or even hire one for a couple of days.
Thanks,
Bernadette
Old 19-08-2014, 05:17 AM
glend (Glen)

There maybe a Pony Club night during that period, keep an eye on the Star Party dection of IIS for updates.
Old 19-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarine View Post
Hi everyone,
this is my first post here as I actually live in southern Ireland but am coming to visit friends in Sydney from 12th Sep to 2nd October (I was last there in 1988 so really looking forward to the trip). I have already looked into visiting Sydney Observatory while there but am wondering is there organised observing nights anywhere not too far from Sydney that I might be able to get to? I would love the opportunity to get away from the city for 1 or 2 nights and see some dark southern hemisphere skies. Any suggestions or feedback greatly appreciated. I may be able to borrow a friend's car or even hire one for a couple of days.
Thanks,
Bernadette
Hi Bernadette,

Keep in contact, as I am sure we can organise something(s) for you.
There will no doubt be the normal observing sessions around New Moon weekend(s) at Katoomba and Mangrove Mountain (aka Pony Club).
And possibly a chance of a short camping trip a few hours north of here to our very dark site (Bretti).
Old 19-08-2014, 11:09 PM
nectarine (Bernadette)

Thanks for the info. Does the Pony Club have it's own website or do you chat on here (just so I know where to keep an eye out).
Clear skies,
Bernie
Old 20-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarine View Post
Thanks for the info. Does the Pony Club have it's own website or do you chat on here (just so I know where to keep an eye out).
Clear skies,
Bernie
Those of us who observe at the Mangrove Mountain Pony Club grounds chat here, on this Forum. We are not a "Club", just an informal gathering of local like minded IIS readers.

The physical site is called the Pony Club because it is managed by 2 equestrian clubs who let us use the grounds semi regularly (when available).

We are (currently) not charged for ground use, and it is Free for anyone to turn up to one of our sessions. The gates are locked, and some of us have a key, so it is imperative that you do not just turn up without seeing notice on this forum of a gathering.

ALL are Welcome. Anyone can start a Thread here to ask if a keyholder is available for proposed evening. But generally, a Saturday night close to NEW Moon is attempted each month.

Sometimes an "Astro camping trip" (eg see Bretti thread) may lure many away over a New Moon period. The skies are nice and dark at The Pony Club but they are much better at Bretti.
Old 21-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Wavytone

Hi Bernadette,

After you arrive go outside on a fine night - you will discover its hard to see much more than magnitude 3 stars, so it is essential to get out of the city to see much. There are a few groups that have star parties within reasonable reach of the CBD, considerably closer than Mangrove Mountain Pony Club or Bretti.

1. Our very own IIS group of diehards tries to make the trek to Katoomba one night each month in the Blue Mountains http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=124712

There should be one in late September while you are here. This is highly weather-dependent and - I should add - the weather has been bad for most of the past year. This is a reasonable dark sky site at an airstrip at 1000m elevation, about a 2 hr drive west from the CBD. Usually plenty of scopes to go round, and someone may have a spare seat if you post in that thread; its a tad hard to find in the dark unless you are comfortable with using GPS. Bring warm clothing - a decent jacket, beanie and gloves and a thermos with something hot - as it really does get cold up there at night. Thermals are optional.

2. Northern Sydney AS sometimes meets at Turramurra Golf Course (this is on the northern fringe of the city, about 1hr from the CBD). A small group but usually there's a 12" scope. A few bright clusters, nebulae or galaxies can be had but its not going to do them justice, you really have to travel further out.

http://nsas.org.au/observing/

3. Sutherland AS has open nights at its observatory at Como, on the southern outskirts of the city about 45 minutes drive from the CBD http://www.sasi.net.au/index.php?opt...d=22&Itemid=35 Similar seeing prospects to Turramurra.

As you already know there is Sydney Observatory, you need to make a booking http://www.sydneyobservatory.com.au/...g/night-visit/

This is more of historical interest only as you really won't see much of the night sky there, it is about the worst possible location you could pick for stargazing.

Alternatively if you want to go on your own and are blessed with a perfect day for sight-seeing in the Blue Mountains, I would strongly suggest take a pair of binoculars and head for Hargraves lookout at Mt Blackheath, which is on a plateau west of Blackheath, in the upper Blue Mountains. This is an excellent dark-sky site. There also is an area of astroturf at Mt Blackheath lookout nearby (actually a paraglider launch) which you can lie down on.

To give you some idea this is the view in late afternoon http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/73...mountains-pano

Comfortably beats anything in Ireland, I suggest ~~~~~

Last edited by Wavytone; 21-08-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old 23-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Irish stargazer (John)

Have a great trip Bernie.
If I was still there I would of course have brought you out to an observing session. The IIS'ers are a great bunch of people and they will look after you. You are in for an astronomical treat if the weather plays ball.

Last edited by Irish stargazer; 23-08-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 25-08-2014, 05:18 AM
nectarine (Bernadette)

That all sounds great - thank you so much for all the info posted here. I am hoping that there'll be a night's observing the weekend of 20th September as my friend's 50th birthday party is in Sydney on 27th and I cannot not go to that! I really hope to get out to see some good dark skies so will definitely check in here and keep my fingers crossed.
I guess it would be kind of ironic to go all the way to Australia and not get to see some good skies, especially when I live in Ireland!
I am taking my step-daughter & friend to the Sydney Observatory on Fri 19th I think so may go out to the Blue Mountains on the Saturday or if something is happening at Mangrove Mountain, then see about getting there.
So thanks again, Allan, 'Wavytones' & John and pg I'll be meeting up with you next month.
By the way, I am very lucky as to where I live in Ireland - lovely dark skies as I live out in the countryside in Co. Waterford and not too much light pollution here.
Clear skies,
Bernie
Old 30-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Mark Johnston (Mark Johnston)

UWS Observatory

The University of Western Sydney at Werrington (near Penrith) has regular public nights every month. There are events in late September and early October. The website is: www.Uws.edu.au/observatory. UWSObservatory is also an iPhone and Android app which indicates when events are on.

Mark
Old 30-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Wavytone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnston View Post
Werrington (near Penrith)
Always puzzled me as to why UWS put an observatory there. Perhaps one day you might explain why.

Last edited by Wavytone; 30-08-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 30-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Mark Johnston (Mark Johnston)

UWS Observatory

I expect being UWS land was one reason. And at the time the astronomy group were on that site too. I guess Hawkesbury campus would have been a bit better from a dark skies point of view. It always had a public, community aspect to it so can't be too far from civilisation.

Mark
Old 30-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Always puzzled me as to why UWS put an observatory there. Perhaps one day you might explain why.
Not sure what you mean, of all the observatories in the Sydney metro area this is the best placed.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:35 AM
nectarine (Bernadette)

Looks like I won't make it to Mangrove Mountain after as I'm going to try to get to Katoomba Airfield on 20th. So thanks to all who replied to my thread and pg for clear skies on 20th so I get to see lots of southern hemisphere goodies......