Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

NGC1760 bicolour

NB is way out of my comfort zone, but there has to be something to do when the moon is up. tried to keep the colour as close as possible to the broadband versions on the web.

http://www.astrobin.com/full/288468/0/?nc=user

there is no real point in high resolution with this object, so it is software binned 2x2 to improve the SNR. It really is a spectacular region though, with a huge cavity opened up by the bright new stars and very ragged tendrils all over the place.

250f4 Newtonian with ASI1600 at gain 100 and 200. Ha=54x600s O3=39x600s. Thanks for looking. regards Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (ngc1760small.jpg)
50.2 KB92 views
Old 26-03-2017, 07:59 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Way to go, Ray!

"Thor's Other Helmet" as Fred calls it looks sharp and deep. The globular at the bottom of the image adds lots of interest (it's out of field for us).

Last edited by Placidus; 27-03-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 26-03-2017, 08:17 PM
DJScotty (Scott)

That's very nice Ray. Good work!
Old 26-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Really nice Ray. Did you find the 2x2 binning help a lot?
Old 26-03-2017, 09:22 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Very nice, Ray Maybe just a little too biased towards Ha/red? Not sure you should take too much notice of that comment after my last couple of images, but I'd treat this one a little differently The detail is fantastic, BTW

Last edited by RickS; 27-03-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:01 AM
gregbradley

Beautifully done. Look how tightly resolved those small bright central stars are.
Wonderful.

Greg.
Old 27-03-2017, 11:17 AM
glend (Glen)

Love it Ray! Great detail in the central core cluster area. How did you prevent diffraction spikes?
Old 27-03-2017, 11:47 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Lovely crisp clean rendition Ray, noice

Mike
Old 27-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Way to go, Ray!

"Thor's Other Helmet" as Fred calls it looks sharp and deep. The globular at the bottom of the image adds lots of interest (it's out of field for us).
thanks very much - appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJScotty View Post
That's very nice Ray. Good work!
thanks Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Really nice Ray. Did you find the 2x2 binning help a lot?
thanks Colin. binning did no damage, but improved the SNR by a noticeable amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Very nice, Ray Maybe just a little too biased towards Ha/red? Not sure you should take too much notice of that comment after my last couple of images, but I'd treat this one a little differently The detail is fantastic, BTW
Thanks Rick. I am incompetent at this, so tried to keep colour as close to a variety of broadband images as I could - maybe with limited success. Will have another look at reducing the red a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Beautifully done. Look how tightly resolved those small bright central stars are.
Wonderful.

Greg.
thanks Greg. taking the sampling down to ~1.6 arcsec sure makes the stars look nice and small doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Love it Ray! Great detail in the central core cluster area. How did you prevent diffraction spikes?
thanks Glen. the spikes are there, but not very pronounced in NB, especially with binning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Lovely crisp clean rendition Ray, noice

Mike
thanks Mike.

regards Ray
Old 27-03-2017, 07:45 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Lovely. I really like this one.

A great result by any measure
Old 28-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
there is no real point in high resolution with this object,
Hi Ray, whilst I don't understand your comment, I do appreciate that you have done a great job on this difficult target.

I say difficult having imaged it twice for a zillion hours in NB but I have yet to find a truly pleasing colour palatte, as indeed you have done here.

The image is well composed, nicely balanced and maybe just a tad red, and it's very good result.
Old 29-03-2017, 06:51 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Love it Ray, very natural looking other than the red cast/background.

Not hearing much on the forums re. binning this camera, so I'd love to see a comparo of bin2 vs bin1. Could you pm me a link to any files? or better yet, post here for others to see too?
Old 29-03-2017, 09:23 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Lovely. I really like this one.

A great result by any measure
thanks very much Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Hi Ray, whilst I don't understand your comment, I do appreciate that you have done a great job on this difficult target.

I say difficult having imaged it twice for a zillion hours in NB but I have yet to find a truly pleasing colour palatte, as indeed you have done here.

The image is well composed, nicely balanced and maybe just a tad red, and it's very good result.
thanks Andy. the comment on resolution could have been better expressed, but the point I was trying to make is possibly illustrated in the unbinned/binned comparo http://astrob.in/full/289059/0/ which shows (I think), that there is little point in displaying a big billowy neb like this at full resolution for web viewing - it looks better and is easier to take in at lower scale - and, apart from some very faint stars, there doesn't seem to be any loss of significant information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Love it Ray, very natural looking other than the red cast/background.

Not hearing much on the forums re. binning this camera, so I'd love to see a comparo of bin2 vs bin1. Could you pm me a link to any files? or better yet, post here for others to see too?
thanks Simon. I chose a reddish cast because the DSS1 data show some extensive red nebulosity surrounding the main region. However, I take the point and will reprocess some time soon.

the binning was not done on the camera, but in software (Nebulosity), after it was all processed. My understanding is that the camera does not do a very good when binned (loses a couple of bits of dynamic range), so I have never used it that way. The image at http://astrob.in/full/289059/0/ shows some non-binned and binned data - I think that the extra SNR and perception of sharpness justifies binning.
Old 29-03-2017, 10:51 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It is a lot better to software bin than hardware bin with this camera. I would argue that it is better to process unbinned (especially for decon as larger stars respond better than smaller) and then reduce resolution later on.

I think what Ray is getting at with the binning on this nebula is that there is no high contrast regions that suffer. Taking Eta Carina as an example, there are a LOT of high contrast regions in and around the Keyhole Nebula that benefit from as much resolution as possible.

NGC 1760 is a lot more whispy with some detail in the nebulosity but virtually no contrast.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Paul Haese

I agree it is a great object. I have imaged it twice in recent year and think it has a lot to offer for imagers. Probably better in full NB I think. Glad to see you tip toeing into the NB waters Ray.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:09 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

This is a very effective image Ray. Well done.

Trevor
Old 02-04-2017, 03:44 PM
Stevec35 (Steve)

You're definitely on a roll Ray. That looks great. The colour is so natural that it's hard to pick it as a NB image. Extremely nice composition too with that little cluster at the bottom

Cheers

Steve
Old 04-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
It is a lot better to software bin than hardware bin with this camera. I would argue that it is better to process unbinned (especially for decon as larger stars respond better than smaller) and then reduce resolution later on.

I think what Ray is getting at with the binning on this nebula is that there is no high contrast regions that suffer. Taking Eta Carina as an example, there are a LOT of high contrast regions in and around the Keyhole Nebula that benefit from as much resolution as possible.

NGC 1760 is a lot more whispy with some detail in the nebulosity but virtually no contrast.
yep, that was what I was getting at - the nebula does not have much fine detail, so full res is not needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
I agree it is a great object. I have imaged it twice in recent year and think it has a lot to offer for imagers. Probably better in full NB I think. Glad to see you tip toeing into the NB waters Ray.
Thanks Paul. Am trying to keep on the edge of the NB waters - they look pretty deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
This is a very effective image Ray. Well done.

Trevor
thanks very much Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
You're definitely on a roll Ray. That looks great. The colour is so natural that it's hard to pick it as a NB image. Extremely nice composition too with that little cluster at the bottom

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve. Appreciate your comment, because I put a lot of time into balancing the colour so that it looked as close as possible to a broadband image that I found.