still easily visible tonite (24th Aug)

estimate M 6 - 6.5 yellowish colour

cheers
Dave
Old 25-08-2013, 08:51 PM
StephenM (Stephen)

A light curve for Nova Del 2013

Hi all,

My son and I have been putting together a light curve for Nova Delphinus, as a grade 6 science project. Rather than doing visual estimates, we have been taking an image using my 50D dSLR and 70-200mm telephoto lens using an exposure that is short enough to avoid saturating the star images (typically 1 sec at f/4 and 800 iso). After converting the RAW files to monochrome using Lightroom3, we have then taken the average of the 4 brightest pixels in the image of the nova and a reference star (HIP100754, just below the nova and mag 5.7), and subtracted the background level from a region without stars. We have then expressed the brightness of the nova as a percentage relative to the reference star. This means that we are using a linear scale, rather then the commonly used logarithmic scale for stellar magnitudes.

We missed the brightest phase of the nova on August 16th, but have made an observation each night from the 18th. Here's the results so far. You can see that its brightness has roughly halved during this period. As expected for these events, the initial drop in brightness was quite rapid, but it seems to have levelled out a bit over the last couple of days. We plan to keep the observations going for at least two more weeks, just in case the nova flares up again .

Cheers,
Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Light curve.jpg)
33.4 KB46 views

Last edited by StephenM; 25-08-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 25-08-2013, 11:42 PM
DannyV (Danny)

Hi Folks,
Can anyone please advise me how to get the Nova Delphinus 2013 into "The Sky X" datbase?
My telescope is still off line, but I would like to add the Nova ready for when I go online soon.
Many Thanks
Old 26-08-2013, 02:36 AM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
Just observed it through 5" reflector.

Colour was hard to distinguish, but after staring at it for a while the overall impression for me was a pale aqua green.

What colour are other visual observers seeing it as.
Orestis, it's a yellow colour.
View thru binoculars (flip for newt. scope):
There is a largish "H" shaped asterism sitting right next to the nova on the right. Below the nova is two fainter stars, making a triangle shape. The nova marks the tip of the triangle & is the brighter of the other stars in triangle.

Jeanette's image is an excellent guide:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nova in Delphinus Taken by Jeanette.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	146282

Tom Harradine's pic here is another excellent guide.
Line up gamma Sagittae and make a line to Sualocin Delphini. The nova sits pretty much in the middle.
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/a...e.php?a=145862
Old 26-08-2013, 05:22 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

I will certainly have a look for this tonight.
I have a friend who claims he saw a couple of faint stars flare up and disapear in Crux a few weeks back ! So I would like to show him what a real Nova looks like :-)
Old 28-08-2013, 06:36 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

I observed Nova Delphini 2013 last night in my 16" scope.
Eyepieces used 17mm,13mm nagler. and 9mm nagler, 6mm radian
The best view was with the 9mm nagler.
I had difficulty at first as the seeing any colour as the seeing was not very good,but determined that it had a Pink Hue. I spent some time on it but was not confident of my obs. I observed it again at 22:45 when the scope was really cool and the seeing had improved and it was definitely a pinkish colour,not bright pink but a soft pink around the edge of the star. It will probably be shown up better in photo's than by eye,but the pink colour was surely there.
Cheers
Old 28-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Jon (Jonathan)

I quite agree, Ron. My camera is off for repairs so I'm rediscovering visual. I spent 30 mins on Nova Delphini on Sunday night. Definitely a soft pink hue; not a colour I've seen in a star before.
Old 28-08-2013, 07:03 PM
rmuhlack (Richard)
Professional Nerd

I tried out my SA100 for the first time last night, and after calibrating on Fomulhaut I attempted to collect spectra of Nova Del 2013. Even accounting for my newbie spectroscopy skills, I think the attached would confirm the overall "pink" hue that you've just been describing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (nova del 2013 280813 crop SA100 QHY5 ref fomulhaut.jpg)
34.2 KB31 views
Old 28-08-2013, 07:21 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuhlack View Post
I tried out my SA100 for the first time last night, and after calibrating on Fomulhaut I attempted to collect spectra of Nova Del 2013. Even accounting for my newbie spectroscopy skills, I think the attached would confirm the overall "pink" hue that you've just been describing.
Well done on your Spectra
Thanks for your confirmation
Cheers
Old 29-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Jon (Jonathan)

Cheers Richard, I got an SA100 too at the beginning of the month. Great time to get into spectroscopy!

Here's a link to Arne Henden's (president of the AAVSO) explanation of why we see yellowish through to pink colours in the nova: http://astrobob.areavoices.com/2013/...ial-chameleon/

Interestingly, the H-alpha line was initially bright, faded through 18 August, then brightened again. I'm following the complex explanations for this over on a spectroscopy forum on Yahoo. But it would account for the varying colour descriptions of the star, broadly by date, in the observations in the posts above. It probably should have been more white-yellow rather than pink a week or so ago. I have an image from then that I haven't processed yet - I'll have a look.
Old 30-08-2013, 02:29 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I could be seeing things, but...

I was out last night using my MN190 Mak-Newt for the first time, playing with it visually. Happened to look towards Altair, and notice in the vicinity of Nov Delphinus a sudden, yet gradual magnitude decrease, becoming quite bright, before dimming again, slowly.

Seems too rapid to be an outgasing, unless it was a threshold event?

It most assuredly was NOT a point meteor - this took a while to brighten and then recede.

Hoping somene else may have seen it.
Old 30-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
Hi Folks,
Can anyone please advise me how to get the Nova Delphinus 2013 into "The Sky X" datbase?
My telescope is still off line, but I would like to add the Nova ready for when I go online soon.
Many Thanks
This is not easy to do.
I find it easier just to enter the coordinates in and centre the frame on the coordinates.
I then pick a nearby bright star and add it to the observation list and then use that star name to go to the nova.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:38 PM
von Tom (Tom)

Pretty in Pink

Comparison of the nova last night (10th September) and 16th August when it was brightest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4308a copy.jpg)
157.4 KB61 views
Old 11-09-2013, 11:50 PM
Suzy

Tom, Thank you!
Now I know I wasn't seeing things!
I observed it with my 10" dob on 5th September.

This is what I wrote in my observation notes:
Oh my gosh that nova is wearing a red cap!
Observed first at 120x and noticeable pink hue on half of it. Then upped the power to 240x and strike me down, a thicker and redder cap on half of it.

I'm going to print out your image and stick with my notes in my obs book.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Liz

Excellent comparison Tom, thank you
Old 13-09-2013, 12:37 AM
DigitalNightOwl (Peter)

Excellent sight through my my 14" dob.
Old 13-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Suzy

doh!

I've been doing some digging around regarding the red cap I observed on the nova which looked just like it did in Tom's pic just above. I took it up with Bob King who's been a long time member with AAVSO & writes for Universe Today, so I thought if anyone would know he would.

Nope. No red cap. He did say it has "a distinct reddish colour" which I did observe as a pink hue. He said he was puzzled about the red cap I saw as it's so far away that it'll only appear as a point of light.
So I'll put it down to the seeing conditions which weren't great that night. But it puzzled me why I didn't get aberration on the other yellow stars in the area as I was trying to deduce that. Maybe because it's got a pink hue, the seeing affects it more?

Oh well... seeing the pink hue was a thrill in itself.
And I didn't imagine that.
Old 13-09-2013, 09:25 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
doh!

I've been doing some digging around regarding the red cap I observed on the nova which looked just like it did in Tom's pic just above. I took it up with Bob King who's been a long time member with AAVSO & writes for Universe Today, so I thought if anyone would know he would.

Nope. No red cap. He did say it has "a distinct reddish colour" which I did observe as a pink hue. He said he was puzzled about the red cap I saw as it's so far away that it'll only appear as a point of light.
So I'll put it down to the seeing conditions which weren't great that night. But it puzzled me why I didn't get aberration on the other yellow stars in the area as I was trying to deduce that. Maybe because it's got a pink hue, the seeing affects it more?

Oh well... seeing the pink hue was a thrill in itself.
And I didn't imagine that.
So I am Vindicated as to what I said to you Suzy
Cheers
Old 13-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Draco (Draco)

Hi Guys and Gals

Any chance of getting the RA and Dec for the nova delphinus? I have a meade lx90 and I think I can enter the values to get it to go there
Old 13-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Lee
Colour is over-rated

RA 20h 23m 30.73s
Dec +20 deg 46m 04.1s

enjoy