Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Sez

Exclamation Toowoomba - New to the universe

Hello all,

I have recieved my very first telescope. My only knowledge of how to use it comes from the instruction manual.
It may as well be in German. I would like to have someone show me the ropes and also gve me an idea of what to look for etc...

I am keen to learn, so I have been looking for an astronomy club nearby but alas to no avail.

If there are any folks from Toowoomba who have a group or a wanting to start a group then I am more then happy to contribute.

So if anyone can help or is interested then let me know.

Cheers
Old 19-10-2009, 08:40 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Welcome Sez. There are (usually) monthly meet ups out at a private property @ Leyburn. I'm not sure of the address details, but I'm sure others will be able to advise. It's a good place to meet people and learn. Everyones really friendly, and you get the chance to look through others scopes, eyepieces, you name it. Thoroughly worthwhile imho.

Do you know what sort of scope you got? Is it a refractor, reflector, what sort of mount did it come with? Where did you buy it from?

Dave
Old 20-10-2009, 08:38 AM
Sez

Ive always been put of telescopes because of the price so when my father recieved one through some kind of promotion, he gave it to me.

I have a barska 80060 starwatcher - Refracter and its on a Tripod. There is also a whole bunch of other info on the box but I dont know what it all means. I think it may be an older telescope.

That would be good if I could meet a few people in the area. I would like to be shown how to use all the equipment etc.

So if anyone knows of the local group then could you let me know.
Old 20-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

Gday Sez

As David suggested we have an observing group based at my property at Leyburn (about 40 minutes south west of Toowoomba). There are about 10 observatories on the site as well as a heap of people that bring out dobs etc. Actually everyone transports thier gear for security reasons (but you hopefully know what i mean).

We would be happy to get you going if you are interested. Stick the gear in the car and come for a drive out one new moon. I am out there most weekends (this coming weekend but I have to go to funeral in Nambucca Heads so i wont be there).

The next camp is on in 3 weeks time however you are welcome whenever I am out there. If you interested let me know and I will send you via private mail (see the top right hand corner of this page) some information on how to find the site and my mobile phone if you need it.

Mark Bolton
Old 21-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Trido (Justin)

I think Toowoomba could use a group that has nights in town as well as events in dark areas. Toowoombas light pollution isn't too bad (Relatively speaking of course) especially on the south side that is angled away from the brightest areas. I live over near USQ and while you get the usual light from neighbors, it is better then living almost anywhere in Brisbane!

There are a couple of people that will setup a couple of telescopes behind the Toowoomba Education Centre. Their last event was last Saturday. Website is below, although it is down atm. Not sure why. They try to do something every month and they are quite knowledgable, although the event is geared towards people bringing their kids and when I was there no one else setup a scope.

I would definitely be up for getting a group going in Toowoomba!

http://www.ournightsky.com/
Old 21-10-2009, 07:52 PM
PeterM

Careful, they are a strange bunch that lot at Leyburn. Red lights only, some walk slowly around in the dark always asking "and what are you looking at" (cheeky buggers) Strange glows from 10 little "rooms" that have roofs that come off, and there hasn't been the slightest wind! They have dull red lights in their hands (phazers?) and strange machinery that goes brrrr grind rrrr, well the ones they call Meeeeed. They keep talking about GOTO but never seem to go anywhere. Many have what look like cameras attached to this strange machinery and they then spend hours just pressing keys on computers until eventually they have this strange multicoloured painting like thing they call an image. I think it must be where they came from, 'cause they say things like "The Horsehead Nebula", "Pleiades Star Cluster" They are always looking upwards and every now and then screaming look, look, wow, wow, but I turn and see nothing. Sheep have disappeared (completely) and every now and then you see a cows skull, now if that's not sus then I don't know what is. They seem to have some control over the weather because it hasn't rained in ages and they talk about "seeing and transparency" being great, so I assume they all have good eyesight and have xray vision that lets them move around in the dark. Many stay up all night, not moving an inch from their machines and when you see them the next day, especially if its before noon they look like walking dead, zombies and they say wasn't last night great, cant wait until it gets dark, weird eh? Some drink from red filled bottles with PORT written on them and before you know it the contents have disappeared. It just gets nuttier as they talk of more equipment while near parity? But they dare not speak a word to the other half of their species for fear of immediate death! And then on Sunday afternoon they all vanish, gone, nothing, no machinery no nothing. I don't think they are from around Leyburn..... they could be made from the same stuff as the stars above them. Oh yes, I am one of THEM!

Mark is right Toowoomba amateur astronomers have a great facility at their doorstep calling them, that many others drive 100s of kms to get to. Great people, great knowledge and very, very friendly.
PeterM.

Last edited by PeterM; 21-10-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 21-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Bolts_Tweed (Mark)

And as you can gather from the previous post we dont even discriminate against weirdos.

The 70s did a lot of damage didnt they.
Old 23-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Rainingstar (Lorraine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trido View Post
I think Toowoomba could use a group that has nights in town as well as events in dark areas. Toowoombas light pollution isn't too bad (Relatively speaking of course) especially on the south side that is angled away from the brightest areas. I live over near USQ and while you get the usual light from neighbors, it is better then living almost anywhere in Brisbane!

There are a couple of people that will setup a couple of telescopes behind the Toowoomba Education Centre. Their last event was last Saturday. Website is below, although it is down atm. Not sure why. They try to do something every month and they are quite knowledgable, although the event is geared towards people bringing their kids and when I was there no one else setup a scope.

I would definitely be up for getting a group going in Toowoomba!

http://www.ournightsky.com/
I also think Toowomba could well do with an astronomy group, I know I would be interested. The USQ has a great facility at Mt Kent near Allora, it would be great if the could host some public viewing for interested amateurs.
Lorraine
Old 23-10-2009, 12:13 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts_Tweed View Post
And as you can gather from the previous post we dont even discriminate against weirdos.

The 70s did a lot of damage didnt they.
Pete's fine, so long as he takes his meds on time.
Old 24-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Sez

Well, I am looking forward to it.

If your not busy I will come up next saturday. I want to get to know how to use my telescope before your next meet.

When is it? is it the first week in November?
Old 24-10-2009, 07:48 AM
CoombellKid

Jeeeezz... sounds like there has been a bit of construction going on out
there over the last couple of years. Was thinking of heading up there
again in a month or two.

Cheers,CS