Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Jemmo (Adrian)

Tips for cleaning eye pieces

Hey guys I got a second hand ep and Barlow they haven't been used in ages so some has dust etc. How should I clean it
Old 23-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

If the dust is caked-on, then I suggest soaking some cotton wool in clean water and with the EP upright, apply it to the surface and let it sit a while (an hour or so? ). Most or all should come away when you remove the cotton.
If you have really stubborn dust, repeat, or if its all come away, then simply wet some more cotton and gently clean as you would a small window.
If you use distilled and / or filtered water, you don't need to worry about secret formulas or incantations.
There's so much carp written about cleaning optical surfaces that it might as well be classed as a religion.
Use clean water. Soft cloth or cotton. Don't scrub.
Err...that doesn't apply to optical mirrors. They're a different ballgame.

If you have somehow got the surface greasy, then a 50:1 mixture of Ammonia to H2o will do just fine. So will a 100:1 mixture of dishwashing liquid.
So will almost any commercial lens cleaner, though without rinsing they tend to leave a small residue.
Old 23-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Jemmo (Adrian)

Thanks Peter. I've cleaned my primary mirror before wasn't sure if I hat to be as careful for Barlow's etc
Old 23-02-2015, 09:57 PM
traveller (Bo)
Not enough time and money

If the EPs are smudged, try 100% isopropyl alcohol, you can get it as a 125ml spray bottle from Bunnings.
Bo
Old 24-02-2015, 11:47 AM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

My question is; can you use methylated spirits? I use it on my eye glasses. Its effective and when wiped with soft paper towel leaves no residue.
Old 24-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller View Post
If the EPs are smudged, try 100% isopropyl alcohol, you can get it as a 125ml spray bottle from Bunnings.
Bo
Also excellent, but they refuse to sell it to me anymore!

I'm not sure about "Meths". It's pretty strong stuff. You go first.
Old 24-02-2015, 02:32 PM
leon

Those small spray bottles of cleaner that you get when you pick up your new glasses dose a great job as well, also the little cleaning cloth that comes with it is excellent, not a smudge to be seen.

I agree with Peter there is so rubbish out there about cleaning optics and camera glass the coatings are much tougher than made out to be.

I clean my Canon 5D filter sensor filter with a good lens pen, have done so for years, never an issue.

Leon
Old 25-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

For cleaning eyepieces and camera lenses, I use,
a. A big blower to blow as much dust off as possible in the first instance, and
b. a camera lens cleaning kit consisting of cleaning fluid and a packet of stapled paper or tissues, which are supposed to be clear of anything that scratches(which is not necessarily the case with regular tissues).

I also bought eyepiece cleaning fluid and packets of stapled tissues from Orion, which was their answer to cleaning eyepieces, which in the end worked the same as the camera lens cleaning kits I'd bought locally.

After blowing, apply the tiniest drop to the eyepiece (don't flood it) then using a new tissue gently wipe from centre out to edges. Then using another part of the paper, fold it over to make an edge and get into the edges of the eyepiece and wipe that dried fluid off.

Alternatively, apply the drop of cleaning fluid to the paper and use that to clean less dirty eyepieces.

Isopropyl alcohol is the recommended cleaner for the front element of my 8" SCT, but it's the chemical version one has to get, not the rubbing alcohol type. And I use lots of those little tissues to achieve that.

I am very wary of using lens cleaning cloths. They should be okay initially, but will eventually accumulate particles that can scratch, which is why I always favour one use lens cleaning paper.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited by Renato1; 25-02-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 27-02-2015, 03:28 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

I bought the cleaning solution Bintel sells for about $15. Pour a bit off and use good quality tissues to "dab on" and "dab off". Any residual liquid evaporates without any streaks. Worked an absolute treat on a refractor obj and eyepieces. Worry free for me.

Naturally, don't put any spare back in the bottle.
Old 27-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

An optometrist advised me that soft paper towel and metho was fine. I also agree with:
I am very wary of using lens cleaning cloths. They should be okay initially, but will eventually accumulate particles that can scratch, which is why I always favour one use lens cleaning paper.
Regards,
Renato
Optical coatings are quite tough.

Cheers