Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13-03-2023, 07:11 AM
Cunjurongkid (Jodie)

Meade Stella vs SkyFi3

Hi all, hope this is ok to post.
I have a couple of questions about the Meade Stella Wi-Fi adapter vs SkyFi3.
Does anyone use either device?
Pros/Cons of one over the other.
I got interested in looking for something that I can use an iPad for viewing rather then the eyepiece as both Mum & I have a lot of trouble looking through the eyepiece.
It will be going on a 2001 Meade 8” LX90EMC that’s currently getting tidied up after a long hibernation.
From what I’ve been able to find from my own investigation is that the Meade Stella appears to be a rebadged SkyFi & also that the app to run the Meade Stella is no longer available in the App Store.
Any info greatly appreciated
Old 13-03-2023, 03:03 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

I use the SkyFi3 on a Takahashi mount controlling the pointing using Sky Safari on my iPad. I haven't used the Stella so I can't give you a comparison.

Pro's
Once you work out all the settings, it's pretty smooth. You select the object in the app, press goto and it lands there.

Con's
Sky Safari only has a one star alignment so your scope (if the EQ model) handset needs to have a handset with a two star or three star alignment routine in the handset. If the scope is an equatorial, then good polar alignment and a one star calibration in Sky Safari is all that's required.

SkyFi is a wireless pointing controller, you can't use it to transfer images from the scope to your iPad.

To do that, you probably want to put an astrocamera at the telescope focus and then use one of the wireless camera controllers like the ASI air to send the picture to your iPad.

Good luck

Joe

Last edited by OzEclipse; 13-03-2023 at 11:52 PM.
Old 14-03-2023, 01:33 PM
Cunjurongkid (Jodie)

Thankyou for your reply Joe,

I didn’t realize that it was just a “pointing tool” I assumed (wrongly) that seeing it was connecting via an app that it would have a visual on the screen, good to know that that’s not the case.
It wouldn’t be of benefit to me then seeing I’m getting the AudioStar controller as I have to replace my og AutoStar controller

Would connecting to a laptop via the controller & using AutoStar Suite do what I’m trying to achieve or is using an Astrocamera the only way?
Old 15-03-2023, 09:52 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Hi Jodie,

> Would connecting to a laptop via the controller
>& using AutoStar Suite do what I’m trying to
>achieve or is using an Astrocamera the only way?

I haven't ever used the Autostar so, I can't say for sure. There is a web page
https://autostar-suite.software.informer.com/
that states it is for remote control operation so presumably there must be some live imaging capability. You will need to keep trying to find someone who can tell you what it can do and importantly that it has drivers for the camera you want to use.

The ASI Air has live wireless viewing and live image stacking to iPad among other devices. It is compatible with the full range of ASI cameras and a large swathe of Nikon and Canon DSLR & mirrorless cameras.

Sorry that's as much as I can tell you.