Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2024, 06:39 PM
tornado33

Seagull Nebula with 8 inch f4 scope

A good mate kindly gave me a Bintel 8 inch f4 Newtonian and rings to go with it. Goes great on my ancient AOS Sampson mount. Has a really nice 2 inch focuser too. Put the EOS Ra on it with Baader MPCC and Baader UHCS filter to test it out on the Seagull Nebula. I think the old MPCC is meant to work best at f4.5 but happy with it at f4 with a full frame sensor. Only very slight coma at the corners.

Full size image available here
https://www.astrobin.com/qq5gcw/

Had to wait ages to use the scope as we've had so much cloudy weather. Not done much imagingbthis summer as a result.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (15x5miniso1600rauhcs8inf4fins.jpg)
154.7 KB59 views
Old 08-03-2024, 09:58 AM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

Selling yourself short. IIS compression murders the image but the hi res astrobin picture is amazing. Well done.
Old 08-03-2024, 08:10 PM
alan meehan (Alan)

nice shot Scott well done
Old 09-03-2024, 11:19 AM
Dave882 (David)

Nice work mate the stars and field are great! If you have a dual narrow band filter could help boost the nebula contrast
Old 09-03-2024, 04:33 PM
tornado33

Thanks all, yes I do have a clip in duo narrowband filter will have to try that.
Old 09-03-2024, 05:34 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Nicely framed and captured
Well done !!
The Baader UHC-S is actually a Visual filter ( not an imaging filter )
I use an Astronomik UHC visual filter for my 12” Goto dob to view emission nebula which works quite well ( although it does produce a greenish hue or cast in your eye piece view.
For emission nebula your better to use a dualband imaging filter to capture Ha and Oiii signal which will produce excellent results ( even under light polluted skies and moon glare )
Some good dualband filters are L Extreme , L Ultimate , Antlia ALP T
I’m sure the 2” will fit your Canon EOS Ra
Alternatively if you want to image emission nebula in Broadband ( during new moon period or the dark ) then just use a luminance filter ( the EOS Ra may already have a UV/IR cut protective window or Lum filter ?? If your skies are City / Suburban Bortle 6 + and higher light pollution, I’d recommend go Narrowband for emission nebula , Broadband is really tough in LP skies with emission nebula.

Clear Skies
Martin
Old 11-03-2024, 02:45 PM
tornado33

Thanks. Yes the Eos Ra has an IR cut filter, it extends into the H Alpha band like a modded DSLR but has a white balance to give normal daylight colours, making it suitable for non astro photography as well.
The duo narrowband filter works OK, though I wish I could get one that does S2 and H beta as well. I don't think such 4 band filters are available as a clip in filter. I cannot use the 2 inch screw on type as it is ahead of the guider pick off prism, and it would make guide stars impossible to find.
Old 11-03-2024, 04:41 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
Thanks. Yes the Eos Ra has an IR cut filter, it extends into the H Alpha band like a modded DSLR but has a white balance to give normal daylight colours, making it suitable for non astro photography as well.
The duo narrowband filter works OK, though I wish I could get one that does S2 and H beta as well. I don't think such 4 band filters are available as a clip in filter. I cannot use the 2 inch screw on type as it is ahead of the guider pick off prism, and it would make guide stars impossible to find.
Maybe a guide scope in lieu of OAG might allow some more flexibility with filters especially in Narrowband for emission nebula
I use guide scopes with my 8” and 10” Newts CF with no issue at all
8” guides around 0.40 to 0.50 total ( FL 1050mm ) on stable nights
10” guides around 0.50 to 0.60 total ( FL 1280mm ) on stable nights
2600MC camera use a 2” filter drawer
2600MM camera uses a 7x2” filter wheel
Options galore for both cameras
Cheers
M