Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Stillaway (Kayne)

Just starting

Hi All,

I am keen to get started and buy a telescope but the more i read the more confused i am getting. Also is there anyone on the Sunshine Coast QLD that could meet with me to give me a crash course?

Cheers,
Kayne.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:55 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Welcome to IIS Kayne.
Personally, I'd advise buying a Dobsonian mounted telescope. They are relatively cheap, simple to use and give fantastic views of the night sky.
An 8" or 10" Dob is light enough to handle and will fit across the back seat of most sedans, with the base going into the boot.
Did you know that one of the best star parties on the globe is held this month, at Camp Duckadang, near Linville? You might consider at least getting a day pass so you can see all the different types of scopes and have a chat to their owners.
http://www.qldastrofest.org.au/
Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 PM
ianB (Ian)

What are you wanting to view? Planets od Deep sky objects?
Also are you wanting to do astrophotography?

In answering those questions you may have a better idea as to what type of telescope you should buy.

I am new to this myself so i will let others more knowledgeable than myself lead you in the right direction, but first answer the above questions.

Welcome.

ian
Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Stillaway (Kayne)

i picked up a celestron powerseeker 76 AZ D=76mm F1=700mm F/9.... whatever that means. but i got it for $40 so at least i have something to get started
Old 08-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Stillaway (Kayne)

off to a bad start..... cant even find the moon
Old 08-07-2014, 08:30 PM
omegacrux (David)

D70mm = diameter of the lens
Fl 700mm = length of the scope
f= 700 divided by 70 = f9
Take your scope out tomorrow and sight a target in the distance and line up the finder scope
Much easier in daylight

And welcome David
Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

You'll need to align your finder scope with your main scope first.
Something best done in the day time, but with the Moon up there, that should be easy enough.
Once you've done that, you can then turn your scope to Saturn, which is that bright star close to the Moon.
Have fun.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

David
Well done on getting the scope. Couple of points with the advice given here. Number one, if taking it out in daylight to align the finder, never point it anywhere near the sun!!!. If you do and you are lucky you will only damage an eyepiece, if you are unlucky you will damage or destroy your eyes.
Secondly, when trying to find a target, use your lowest power eyepiece first (assuming you have a choice of eyepieces). Each will have a focal length on it, often these class of scopes will come with a 25mm and a 10mm ( or thereabouts), the higher that number, the lower power the view.

Malcolm
Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillaway View Post
Hi All,

I am keen to get started and buy a telescope but the more i read the more confused i am getting. Also is there anyone on the Sunshine Coast QLD that could meet with me to give me a crash course?

Cheers,
Kayne.
Hi Kayne,are you home during the day.
Give me a PM with some information,such as a phone number
and maybe I can help you with that crash course.
Cheers
Old 08-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Stillaway (Kayne)

thanks for that guys... and cheers Ron ill do that if possible
Old 09-07-2014, 11:19 AM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

Hi Kayne...and welcome to IIS!
Mate, I started viewing with a 76mm Celestron First-Scope, for which I paid $150! Your Powerseeker would be better than that and for $40, you're a winner! Don't worry about not finding anything, you will definitely get used to things quite quickly if you give it some time and practise!
I upgraded about a year ago to an 8" Dobsonian; after sorting yourself out with the Powerseeker, it would be well worth considering an 8 or 10" Dob - Dobs are VERY easy to use and provide smashing views of just about anything up there!
The only reason folks generally tell beginners not to buy a 12" Dob is that they are very heavy and bulky BUT I must say that by the time I bought my 8", I could have just as easily handled the bulk of a 12" and found it about as easy to use.
Anyway mate, don't want to confuse you - just enjoy the new hobby and savour those first moon views...awesome!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Stillaway (Kayne)

Thanks for the tips Shaun.Yeah i think ill go for the 12" Dob. Im not to worried about the size. Although i do like the idea of the GOTO
Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 PM
PSALM19.1 (Shaun)

No worries Kayne! Yes, GOTO is very appealing, BUT (and I may get into trouble with some on this!) I personally enjoy trying to find stuff without it...you certainly learn better that way. When you start, it is very difficult to navigate, but in time it makes you more confident! Also, GOTO will cost ALOT more, especially with larger aperture. Don't forget either that there are GOTO Dobs: Bintel have Orion Goto Dobs;, a 12" version is quite pricey compared with a manual Dob (check out their website).

Anyway, take your time and learn with the Powerseeker, plenty to see! And others will give you far more experienced advice than I can give...! Enjoy!