Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-02-2010, 03:37 PM
Laurie Meintjes

Moving on and up!

Hi

Although I joined the IceinSpace community a year or so ago, I am still very much a beginner when it comes to astronomy. I purchased a pair of Gerber 12x50 binoculars several months ago and enjoy using it for what I would call general sky gazing. However, I would like to purchase a telescope (it will be my first) that has sufficient magnification and light-gathering ability for me to view the planets and also deep space objects (if the two can be 'wrapped' in a single telescope, so to speak). I notice that Astro-optical has a sale on at the moment and one telescope that interests me is the Vixen Viper MC90L because it is relatively light weight and easy to use in different locations. Also, my reading tells me that Vixen has a good name.

I wonder whether anyone out there has had any experience with this particular scope, and would care to comment on its suitability for a new chum like myself. Thanks in anticipation.

Laurie Meintjes
Old 18-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Davros (Lauren)
stumblebum

Cant offer advice of that scope but i can highly recommend a 10 inch Dobsonian mounted Newt. I picked mine up second hand (there is a few floating about) for a very reasonable price and i have had a ball with it. I have in no way truly plumbed the abilities of this light bucket yet.
Old 18-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Hi Laurie,

AS this is a 90 mm scope and you have 2x50 mm objectives on your binoculars, I don't' think you'd collect that much more light - if any. I'd go for a decent size dobsonian. Very easy to use. An 8" which is very transportable will collect about 5x the amount of light that a 90mm scope will. 10'" will collect 60% more light than an 8" and a 12" more than double the light of an 8".

An 8" is as I said very portable and unless you have a bad back, a 10" is quite portable as well and lots of people are quite happy to move a 12" especially if it's a truss dob like a lightbridge. The GSO dobs are very good and reasonably priced. If you have good dark skies where you live, you may not need to move the scope at all. I just used a trolley from Bunnings to wheel my 12" GSO out of the shed, a quick collimation and off I went. If you're happy to use it like this, go 12". If you're going to move to different sites and are at all worried, a 10" scope will show you heaps.
Old 18-02-2010, 09:28 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

I agree with Paddy, anything over 8" will be a better option as an addition to your binoculars.

The only thing I'd add is, before you buy, try to get to a star party, either listed here in IIS, or from a local astro club to you. It will give you the opportunity to see different scopes. If you explain that you are 'in the market', I'm sure many of the participants would let you have a go with their scope. It will allow you to actually experience how they handle and what best suits you.

Even better, attend two parties. The first will leave you starry eyed and confused, the second will be more 'realistic' shall we say. The novelty will have worn off a little and any decision you make will be more true to your situation.

Mental.
Old 19-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Lismore Bloke (Paul)
Ad astra per aspera

I tend to agree with the other guys. If the majority of your astronomy is going to be visual, then a Dobsonian is the cheapest and simplest telescope. The largest one you can comfortably manage. If you have to transport it frequently, then anything over 10" might be a burden. If imaging is going to be your main interest, then an ED80 or similar refractor on a HEQ5 or EQ6 mount is a good start. Trying before you buy at an astronomy club is always good. Nothing like hands-on.
Old 19-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Laurie Meintjes

Moving on and up!

Thank you all for your feedback. It is good advice and I will organise myself into a star party some time soon so that I can get some hands-on experience with scope options. However, I must admit to one aspect about reflector telescopes that gives me 'cause for pause', and it is this business of collimation. I understand the concept, but the thought of fiddling with the optics of these sensitive instruments makes me a tad nervous. So I guess I need some reassurance that the process is quite straightforward (no hit or miss) and simple to carry out. Are there any devices/aids to ensure that the result is spot on?

Thanks again.

Laurie M
Old 19-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Collimation is not difficult. Your scope should arrive with the secondary mirror in the right position, but it's worth checking and not hard to adjust. Mostly you will just need to adjust the tilt of the secondary and primary mirrors and this is quite straightforward with laser collimator. It sounds hard when you read the articles about it, but it's not. If you do get to an observing night, I'm sure someone can show you the basics. The extra aperture that you'll get with a reflector is well worth it.