Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 18-07-2014, 12:27 PM
chellaxy (Chelle)

Howdy from Perth WA

Hi everyone,

Firstly, apologies for what is kind of a long post.

I'm new here and have been eagerly lurking and learning!
As recommended on these forums I've been reading Nightwatch but unfortunately I ended up with the third edition which doesn't include southern sky charts! (oops) ...
There is still a wealth of information in there though and I'm about to begin Turn Left at Orion also - I'm thoroughly enjoying the reading.

I've started with some 10 x 50 porro prism Celestron binoculars, which have been great apart from my shaking which I have minimised by leaning on various things. I did get a secondhand (but unused) Bushnell 4.5" reflector on an AZ mount for $30 as well, but I was aware that I wasn't getting a quality scope - I just wanted it because it is super light so that I can easily haul it up to the carpark to watch the moon at leisure without having to use binoculars. Also one that I can take out if I've had a few wines without the worry of damage

Although I'm incredibly green at stargazing, I just bought a secondhand Sky Watcher 8" Dobsonian telescope - which will definitely not be used after a few wines!!
The seller is moving overseas next week and needed a quick sale, so I scored it for $300 (was originally listed for $380). I took a much more knowledgeable friend with me to look over it and he confirmed the excellent condition (the seller never had enough time to use it much and it had been stored carefully inside a spare bedroom).
It came with the standard 10mm and 25mm eyepieces and also an Optex 31.5mm/1.25" 2x Barlow lens.
Although I'm not really ready to be using a full scope (I'm still learning with my binoculars, sky charts and various online resources/books), I just couldn't go past the opportunity to nab what I understand to be a good value beginner amateur scope in excellent condition for around half the retail price!
It's easily transported in my wee Starlet, which is important as I'm 3km from the city centre so of course I have to travel to escape the city lights. I'm buzzing to get out there and have a look through it from home though - I'm sure the view of tonight's almost-quarter moon is going to be something to marvel at in comparison to my binos!

I also really want to thank the users of this site - the advice I have read on here thus far has been excellent and reminds me just what an awesome tool the internet can be for sharing knowledge, hobbies and passions. Spending time reading these threads in detail has saved me from myself - I would definitely have ended up with a "department store trash scope" and become quickly frustrated had I been left to my own devices (The Bushnell doesn't count because I knew what I was getting and $30 is negligible)!!

I look forward to many many more hours of enjoyment here at IceInSpace and also of course under the stars.
Also if anyone here is from Perth WA and can offer any local info/great viewing spots/public star viewings, I'd love to know about it!

Cheers,
Chelle
Old 18-07-2014, 06:30 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Chelle , there are quite a few of us here and when the weather warms up a bit there are a group of us head out to a very dark sky site for an over night camp and star gaze not far out of Brunton .
You are most welcome to come along with your 8 inch , it will perform excellently out there and we will be more than willing to help any way we can , a friendly bunch we are , like all amateur astronomers and like every amateur world wide we love showing off our gear , as I would love to check out your scope , especially out there .

Let me know and I will send you a PM detailing the site , etc.

Brian.

Last edited by brian nordstrom; 18-07-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 18-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Welcome to an endlessly fascinating hobby (part science, part philosophy, part art), Chelle.
Old 18-07-2014, 07:46 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellaxy View Post
Although I'm incredibly green at stargazing, I just bought a secondhand Sky Watcher 8" Dobsonian telescope - which will definitely not be used after a few wines!!
Yes, well, not only would it be a waste of good wine if you spilt it, it won't do the scope any good at all either, so best to keep the two separate. There is usually a "this is where we eat and drink" area and a "this is where we use the scopes" area for good reason.That said, I have seen quite a bit of alcohol consumed on observing jaunts over the years, especially a warming port or two, but usually not around the scopes.

The 8" dob is a great start, although there is no shame in having the 4" as well. You might be surprised at how many people started out with something similar and have since gone on to much bigger and better things!

Enjoy the journey!
Old 18-07-2014, 09:52 PM
MrB (Simon)
Old Man Yells at Cloud

Hi Chelle, the 8" dob is a great scope, best compromise on size/portability for a small car, you will love it. You don't need to drive too far out of the city centre for the light pollution to reduce considerably, but heading further out(a couple of hours) to truly dark skies makes for a stunning night at the scope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom
... not far out of Brunton .
Do you mean Brookton?
Old 18-07-2014, 11:31 PM
sn1987a (Barry)

ASWA have viewing nights and get togethers at Bakers Hill and one is penciled in at Serpentine for next weekend, just go to their website and click on diary. I've been meaning to go along myself one day.
Old 19-07-2014, 07:00 AM

OOPs . yes Brookton , yes . Thanks MrB .
Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
Hi Chelle, the 8" dob is a great scope, best compromise on size/portability for a small car, you will love it. You don't need to drive too far out of the city centre for the light pollution to reduce considerably, but heading further out(a couple of hours) to truly dark skies makes for a stunning night at the scope.

Do you mean Brookton?
Old 19-07-2014, 10:34 AM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Yes, well, not only would it be a waste of good wine if you spilt it, it won't do the scope any good at all either, so best to keep the two separate. There is usually a "this is where we eat and drink" area and a "this is where we use the scopes" area for good reason.That said, I have seen quite a bit of alcohol consumed on observing jaunts over the years, especially a warming port or two, but usually not around the scopes.

The 8" dob is a great start, although there is no shame in having the 4" as well. You might be surprised at how many people started out with something similar and have since gone on to much bigger and better things!

Enjoy the journey!
I'm probably one of the worst offenders here! But welcome to the hobby, and there's plenty of us over here in WA. On the topic of wines/whisky etc, if you're trying to squeeze the last 0.1 mag out of the field of view while hunting faint fuzzies right on the theoretical threshold of your scope alcohol is actually quite bad for night vision. But it still tastes good in the dark.
My solution was to get a bigger telescope, but an unexpected consequence was having to pull off a 'Jackie Chan' ladder stunt 6 ft off the deck because my balance may have been slightly affected by the Shiraz. So there's probably a few good reasons to lay off it under the stars, but remember we're all out there to have fun!!
cheers,
Andrew.
Old 20-07-2014, 08:10 PM
chellaxy (Chelle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian nordstrom View Post
Chelle , there are quite a few of us here and when the weather warms up a bit there are a group of us head out to a very dark sky site for an over night camp and star gaze not far out of Brunton .
You are most welcome to come along with your 8 inch , it will perform excellently out there and we will be more than willing to help any way we can , a friendly bunch we are , like all amateur astronomers and like every amateur world wide we love showing off our gear , as I would love to check out your scope , especially out there .

Let me know and I will send you a PM detailing the site , etc.

Brian.
Hi Brian, that sounds fantastic and I'd love it if you could send me that info! It will be great to get out there with a more experienced bunch that can give me some guidance

Simon kudos for your avatar - one of the best Simpsons images!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes! I will most definitely check out the ASWA diary as well - I have the site bookmarked and was planning on waiting until I had a bit more knowledge/experience before showing up and making a silly noob out of myself, but jumping straight into it is going to be the best way - we all start somewhere!!!
Old 21-07-2014, 06:35 AM

Sweet Chelle , I will PM you on where we meet so we can all drive out together , just be ready for it as we have to be ready at a moments notice ,, weather as you know has the last word even over work , families etc.
Welcome to amateur astronomy .

ps. I'm a Kiwi as well .

Brian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellaxy View Post
Hi Brian, that sounds fantastic and I'd love it if you could send me that info! It will be great to get out there with a more experienced bunch that can give me some guidance

Simon kudos for your avatar - one of the best Simpsons images!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes! I will most definitely check out the ASWA diary as well - I have the site bookmarked and was planning on waiting until I had a bit more knowledge/experience before showing up and making a silly noob out of myself, but jumping straight into it is going to be the best way - we all start somewhere!!!