Old 14-02-2016, 06:06 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauler View Post
Just thought I'd say Hi to all. I'm a brand new, wet behind the ears budding astronomer. I don't yet know enough to ask any questions - have just bought a 6" Dobson + 15mm eyepiece for the daughter and I to use. After we unwrap it on Xmas Day I'm sure we'll be back here asking plenty of questions.

Mike.
Welcome Mike; that's probably the best scope to start on, and you can always sell it easily later on, if and when you wish to upgrade.

bigjoe.
Old 14-02-2016, 06:13 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Hi everybody, I am Loki. Looking to get into astrophotography using dslr camera and I have no idea what to get all im reading seems to be fan boy posts of Nikon vs Canon. I have a budget of just over $1100 Aussie dollars. I will need a lens with it like a rockmax or what ever they are called, with high iso. Any help is very much appreciated as i really want to research everything now and not be disappointed when I get them.

Loki

Welcome also Loki; were all here to have fun and help.

bigjoe.
Old 14-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Loki

Ok so I have narrowed down 2 suspects, 1. Canon 1200D for the fact its a Canon and good price, 2. Nikon D3300 for the price and ease of use and higher ISO. The price is similar for both. just need some advice if one has features i will need and does not have
Old 14-02-2016, 08:05 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Ok so I have narrowed down 2 suspects, 1. Canon 1200D for the fact its a Canon and good price, 2. Nikon D3300 for the price and ease of use and higher ISO. The price is similar for both. just need some advice if one has features i will need and does not have

My advice is to get the canon as many more have them in astro and thus more can help you, esp regarding software that you can use.

bigjoe
Old 15-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Loki

Thanks Big Joe, and everybody else who gave me advice
Old 02-03-2016, 12:53 AM
poncho (Poncho)
Learning

How do i make the threads start from the first post by OP ? Rather than newest first?

Cant figure it out!!
Old 02-03-2016, 03:50 AM
Zane (Zane)

Hey poncho just click on the user cp tab and go to edit options and select thread display option to linear oldest first
Old 11-03-2016, 09:43 PM
poncho (Poncho)
Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane View Post
Hey poncho just click on the user cp tab and go to edit options and select thread display option to linear oldest first
Seriously so helpful thanks!!
Would not have figured that out, ever!!!
So much easier now!
Old 17-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Tsan (Kerrin)

Hello

Hi everyone! After many years of enjoying looking up, I finally took the plunge and read through the "what to buy for newbs" sections of many sites and decided on a 6 inch dob for portability, and price.

The Financial Controller works at a high school with an astronomy subject, so she had a chat with the teacher for some advice on what we should get. Next day he contacts us with a second hand 10 inch dob for sale from an ex-student. Perfect timing. Going to be all set up for under $500!

We are off to the Perth Observatory tomorrow night (booked a while back), hoping it will be OK weather-wise, it is looking like rain and storms for the next week - the curse is still strong!
Old 17-03-2016, 10:29 AM
Somnium (Aidan)
Aidan

Great stuff Kerrin, that would have been the recommendation you would have gotten from this forum too, hope you get some clear skies and report back
Old 19-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Tsan (Kerrin)

Picked up the 10 inch Dob. It has a 30mm, 10mm, and a 2x Barlow. This will keep me busy for a while.

Financial Control loved looking at the moon last night during the brief time there was no cloud while we were at the observatory. She is as exited as I am with having the telescope, and does not mind getting a moon filter so she can look at it more.

There might be some clear bits of sky tonight, what to look at first!
Old 14-06-2016, 10:49 PM
wodanx (Manuel)

Hi everyone

Hi, I´m new to Perth, moving from Chile and a few months before moving I got my first scope, a Nextstar 6se (just the OTA) and a HEQ5pro. I´ve been testing on taking some pictures with the Nikon that I already had. Results don´t look so bad. Any recommendation about some dark places close to Perth?

I`m sorry about my bad english!

Manuel
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG - 1 (1).jpg)
49.6 KB110 views
Old 15-06-2016, 07:23 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Hi Manuel.
Nice photo!
I am not into astrophotography, so I can't give any advice there.
And being from Sydney, I am not up to date on Perth dark sites...
But Welcome to IceInSpace

You may find more responses if you start a new thread with those questions (in the appropriate forums). Or do a search for dark sites Perth.
I know we have a few very helpful IIS'ers over there.

Clear Skies!
Old 15-06-2016, 03:57 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodanx View Post
Hi, I´m new to Perth, moving from Chile and a few months before moving I got my first scope, a Nextstar 6se (just the OTA) and a HEQ5pro. I´ve been testing on taking some pictures with the Nikon that I already had. Results don´t look so bad. Any recommendation about some dark places close to Perth?

I`m sorry about my bad english!

Manuel
Welcome to IIS and to Australia, Manuel! I only ever met great people from Chile and one of my best friends is a Chilean native. Your country hosts some of the best telescopes in the world, optical as well as radio.

I've never been to WA so cannot recommend specific sites but if you search for light pollution maps (online or here on IIS), they should give you a good idea where to go. Your photo is fantastic; very much an anomaly in the "beginners" forum!

Your English is very good btw.

Old 20-06-2016, 01:27 PM
nessmulqueeney (Vanessa)

I'm new here! Heard about the forum through my local astro equipment store!
Old 20-06-2016, 01:52 PM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Vanessa!

Lots to learn and plenty of willing people to help. Check out the Star parties thread for meets near you.
Old 21-06-2016, 05:04 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

Manuel, regarding Perth.... It is known as "The City of Lights," as you are by now no doubt aware.

To the north towards Lancelin is the Gin Gin Observatory. I have only seen the place during the day though, but I would expect that it is a dark site.

It is about 40 minutes to the north of Wanneroo.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I don't have a lot. The WA Government is obsessed with Phosphor lights, and that bright orange glow gets into everything!

Best of luck though, that image looks really nice.
Old 27-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Cp75 (Craig)

Joined 3 years ago to buy a s/h EQ6 Pro.

Have never posted in the forums though.

Never to late to start I guess.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:05 PM
jonesalice34 (Alice Jones)

Hello everyone!
Old 07-07-2016, 08:17 AM
sharptrack2 (Kevin)

Welcome

Hi Alice,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly people here, don't be afraid to ask any question you want, astronomy related... or not!

Switzerland is a long way from Australia, and the skies will be different, but there's a lot of experience here, so ask away.