Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > DIY Observatories
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-02-2016, 05:21 PM
speach (Simon)

Sky Pod's

Has anyone any experience of 'sky pod' observatories? Would like to know if they are any good.
Old 23-02-2016, 05:42 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I have one:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=35747

I think they are great if you don't want to have to setup and break down your scope all the time. They maybe aren't so good for full automation and remote use, but for the money, I couldn't go past it for my needs.

Al.
Old 18-10-2016, 06:56 PM
speach (Simon)

Well I've bitten the bullet and ordered one
Old 18-10-2016, 08:15 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Congratulations!
Old 18-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Nice it is a much cheaper alternative to getting a Sirius Dome and is great for smaller non-automated backyard setups
Old 18-10-2016, 08:54 PM
spiezzy

I have had one for about 5 years now and they are great and as Colin mentioned a damn site cheaper and Matthew Lovell delivers them to your door him self great to deal with .
there is a guy in WA that sells automation kits for them as well I am going this way next year around $1300 for the kit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIRz9s-VM4c

the only little complaint it the over head view zenith but there is a zenith table you can get to solve this ,
congratulations on your purchase you will love it 5 minuts and your up and running and 10 minutes at the end of your session and your inside ready for bed
cheers Pete
Old 03-11-2016, 04:35 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Hi all,
If I can I'm thinking on getting a Sky Pod ! As I get older I seem to get less bothered to get the the scope out. I had a Observatory in the mid 90's but moved house and left it behind .

I know with a observatory the scope would get a lot more use.

To those who own the Sky Pod Al & Pete and anyone else in Australia that has one I have a few questions if that is ok!

1. How is your Sky Pod going after some years of use? Weather etc?
2. Equipment inside , with our very hot summers here in Australia how hot does your Sky Pod get inside ? And what affect is that having on your equipment?
3. Do you think it's better to have the Pod on a concrete slab or a wooden deck? How do you have yours? And would you change it now after using the Pod ?
4. How has your Sky Pod survived a servere thunder storm?
One more is the ventilation around the dome enough to keep mould away?

Many thanks for any of your responses . I wish you well Simon on your order of the Sky Pod .

Regards,
David.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:05 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc View Post
Hi all,
If I can I'm thinking on getting a Sky Pod ! As I get older I seem to get less bothered to get the the scope out. I had a Observatory in the mid 90's but moved house and left it behind .

I know with a observatory the scope would get a lot more use.

To those who own the Sky Pod Al & Pete and anyone else in Australia that has one I have a few questions if that is ok!

1. How is your Sky Pod going after some years of use? Weather etc?
Perfect!
Quote:
2. Equipment inside , with our very hot summers here in Australia how hot does your Sky Pod get inside ? And what affect is that having on your equipment?
I have a max min thermometer in there to record the maximum and so far its 42°C... BUT... I have painted the inside of the POD with black Fusion Paint which is supposed to help block IR and keep it cooler. I have also fitted a solar ventilation fan from Whitworths in the top of the dome and drilled a grid of ventilation holes into the inside skin of the dome to make it work. Not aware of any possible temperature issues with my gear so far.
Quote:
3. Do you think it's better to have the Pod on a concrete slab or a wooden deck? How do you have yours? And would you change it now after using the Pod ?
On a concrete slab isolated from your pier footing - this is how I have mine, and no, I would not change it.
Quote:
4. How has your Sky Pod survived a servere thunder storm?
Not a problem. If you buy one new, you'll probably get a DVD with it with assembly instructions and it'll also have video of their red-neck wind test where they towed a POD on a trailer behind a pick up truck at more than 70mph - both open and closed. You'll love it!
Quote:
One more is the ventilation around the dome enough to keep mould away?
There is more than enough ventilation! It is amazing how much breeze comes through between the dome and the walls when the dome it closed. The biggest problem I have with my POD is snails. They love it, and they get in between the dome and the walls. So make sure you always put lens caps on! And BTW because it's plastic, I haven't experienced any condensation inside it either.
Quote:

Many thanks for any of your responses . I wish you well Simon on your order of the Sky Pod .

Regards,
David.

Last edited by sheeny; 03-11-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Sky Pod.

Thanks Al,
For your responses great, I'm sold on the Pod many hours researching the net and you tube etc. Also Cloudy nights my biggest concern was our hot summers. With some days hitting 40 c and having week of 30 c + temps
I'm concerned how the telescope holds up in the Sky Pod !

Can I ask how you attached your Pod to your concrete slab? Dynabolts?

I was thinking of a 150 mm slab and a pier to the slab I'm not into imaging .
I just Bino View but my eyes are not so good so in the future I may have to go Electronic assisted Astronomy. For what I'm doing I can't see that being a problem?

If I lived closer I would love to see your Sky Pod, I have seen the pics looks good. I can't drive anymore to check out anyone's pods so I have to rely on what I can see on the net.

Again thanks for your reply.

Regards David
Old 04-11-2016, 02:44 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave47tuc View Post
Thanks Al,
For your responses great, I'm sold on the Pod many hours researching the net and you tube etc. Also Cloudy nights my biggest concern was our hot summers. With some days hitting 40 c and having week of 30 c + temps
I'm concerned how the telescope holds up in the Sky Pod !
Remember I'm in Oberon so maximum temps are probably a little down on everyone else anyway. I haven't looked at the POD site for a while now, but they did have a thermal cover, which might be worth considering.
Quote:

Can I ask how you attached your Pod to your concrete slab? Dynabolts?
Yep. 2 dynabolts per wall/POD bay section.
Quote:

I was thinking of a 150 mm slab and a pier to the slab I'm not into imaging .
I just Bino View but my eyes are not so good so in the future I may have to go Electronic assisted Astronomy. For what I'm doing I can't see that being a problem?
Probably not. Mines on a 100 thick slab, but as I said it's isolated from the pier footing so the slab's just got to support the POD.
Quote:

If I lived closer I would love to see your Sky Pod, I have seen the pics looks good. I can't drive anymore to check out anyone's pods so I have to rely on what I can see on the net.

Again thanks for your reply.

Regards David
Old 04-11-2016, 03:13 PM
Dave47tuc (David)
IIS member 65

Sky Pod.

Many thanks for all your replies Al