Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-10-2009, 09:18 PM
timmo567 (Tim)

Having Trouble Deciding!

Hi everyone, I'd like to say I've been looking around the site for the past week and it looks really good. I hope that my question doesn't seem too repetitive for some of you

So I'm looking to purchase my first scope in the upcoming weeks (Used a department store scope a about 5 years ago my dad got me to look at the moon and not much else). I've been doing research for a few weeks now and have decided on a 8" or 10" dob which seems to be the recommended choice by most. I'm fairly sure if I got a 8" I would wish I had got a 10" two weeks later so I'm trying to go for the 10" at the moment. I also should mention I live in a small town near Cairns so pickup is not really an option anywhere and I have to pay shipping.

Some of my year is spent at home where I live on a 5 acre property and I will be using the scope outside and the other part of the year I'm at college where I would have to drive somewhere to use it (so there is some importance to portability). The two main candidates I have found at the moment are the Skywatcher 10"(e.g. http://www.ozscopes.com.au/skywatche...pe-10inch.html) and the Zhummel Z10(e.g. http://www.binoculars.com/zhumellz10...pjn&subid=3656). The latter would be bought from the US but from what I can gather total prices from the skywatcher would be around $860-$930 and the zhummel $1000-$1100.

The thing I like about the zhummel is that it comes with a collimator and a 2" eye piece and would give the appearance of being higher quality although I'm not in a position to tell. I definitely don't want to go higher than the $1000ish range. Could I have some recommendations over the two, or perhaps an alternative? I wouldn't be too disappointed to drop down to an 8" (I think!) also. You might notice the lack of an exact question but I'm just looking for some general advice to help me feel a bit more reassured and anything would be greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to mention I'm a 2nd year physics student taking some astrophysics courses so I don't see myself losing interest anytime soon.

Thanks!
Old 29-10-2009, 09:36 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

I don't much about the Zhummel, is it available in OZ. But couple of things I noticed is feather touch focuser and RA Focuser which which are not on the Skywatcher. These are the 2 main items on my SW scope I would like to change (already changed the focuser)

One thing I selected based on portablity is the collapsable DOB this allowed me to get a 12" which fits in my Staion Wagon and Van, but would be difficult in a Sedan.

My 2 bobs worth.
Old 29-10-2009, 09:40 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

Are you sure they have a Feather touch focuser?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
I don't much about the Zhummel, is it available in OZ. But couple of things I noticed is feather touch focuser and RA Focuser which which are not on the Skywatcher. These are the 2 main items on my SW scope I would like to change (already changed the focuser)

One thing I selected based on portablity is the collapsable DOB this allowed me to get a 12" which fits in my Staion Wagon and Van, but would be difficult in a Sedan.

My 2 bobs worth.
Old 29-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

HI Tim,

Welcome to Ice in Space.

Sounds like 10" is the go. Skywatcher have a good name and there is a lot to be said for getting something locally in case you need warranty back up. I don't know the other brand, but I wouldn't get too caught up with eyepieces that come with the scope. Often they are quite good enough to get you going, but you are likely at some stage if you're really into it to upgrade anyway, so I wouldn't make eyepieces the basis of my choice of scope. But, as I say, Idon't know the other brand of which you speak.

I'm sure that whatever you choose, you are going to have a good time, especially since you're already familiar with what your likely to see.
Old 29-10-2009, 09:49 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidU View Post
Are you sure they have a Feather touch focuser?
Description say "Includes RA Focuser"
Old 29-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Batfink (Peter)

Hi Tim,
Ive got the 8" collapsable SW and just love it, although Ive never looked through a 10' so not sure it there would be a big difference, the two EP's that came with it seem good as well.
Peter.
Old 29-10-2009, 10:17 PM
timmo567 (Tim)

Thanks for the replies everyone. So far my mood is to go for either the 10" or 8" skywatcher and see how I go from there w.r.t. getting accessories and EP's later on.

As a sort of side question.. I've noticed at most local sites (at least the ones that have instant shipping calculators) that shipping to my address comes out over $300. Is this to be expected? I've shipped large items in the past myself so I can easily see how that is justifiable, but at http://www.ozscopes.com.au the final quoted shipping price for the 10" skywatcher is only $78(plus another $70 or so for insurance). The only problem there is that they are sold out for the next few weeks. Does $78 seem too low?
Old 29-10-2009, 10:26 PM
DavidU (Dave)
Like to learn

$78 seems good. Go for the 10" if possible.
Old 29-10-2009, 10:28 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfink View Post
Hi Tim,
Ive got the 8" collapsable SW and just love it, although Ive never looked through a 10' so not sure it there would be a big difference, the two EP's that came with it seem good as well.
Peter.
I wear glasses as well and I can't use the eyepieces. Blurred images. I need long eye relief lenses which I have tried and expecting to arrive soon.
Old 29-10-2009, 10:43 PM
JethroB76 (Jeff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
Description say "Includes RA Focuser"
Wouldnt that be RA finderscope? How does RA focuser = feathertouch?
Old 29-10-2009, 11:25 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Hi Tim and welcome!

Go for either a Skywatcher 10" or a GSO 10" Dob.

Sorry, but that Zhummel looks suspiciously like a re-badged GSO Dob. Look at the azimuth bearings, the focuser and finder - a perfect match. In fact, the previous models of Zhummel Dobs are called the "Classic" range and had the old tension spring on the azimuth bearing. Again they are definately GSO Dobs. http://www.greatredspot.com/zhumell_telescopes.htm

Tim, for your information, all that the above means is that I suspect the Zhummel brand is a rebadge GSO (Guan Sheng Optical) Dobsonian, which are a popular choice for Dobs and generally very well regarded. BinTel sell their own brand in Australia, which are simply rebadged GSO Dobs, just like Zhummel does overseas. Andrews Communications sells GSO Dobs (original, not rebadged), but their all the same.

I hope that helps and does not confuse things.

Regards,
Stephen.

Last edited by stephenb; 29-10-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 30-10-2009, 12:01 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroB76 View Post
Wouldnt that be RA finderscope? How does RA focuser = feathertouch?
OOPS my bad
Old 30-10-2009, 12:18 AM
timmo567 (Tim)

Glad I made this thread, has made everything so clear. It looks like I'm gonna go for the GSO or skywatcher 10", depending on the shipping price for the GSO from andrews. I'll give him a call tomorrow and find out. Thanks everyone who replied.
Old 30-10-2009, 12:06 PM
shane.mcneil

Hi

The only thing I would say is make sure it will fit in the car. I bought the GSO 10" thinking it would fit in my car. It does length wise but it is bulkier than I thought. I can still fit it in but it has to go on the back seat rather than the boot which means the family wont fit. The base is bulky too.

Not that I would change anything (maybe a collapsible) but you really can't tell how big they are from a photo.

All the best.
Old 30-10-2009, 12:19 PM
33South (Chris)

Here are some SkyWatcher prices from a Queensland retailer for comparison.

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/skywatcher.asp

As I recall the large item freight charge is $25

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmo567 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. So far my mood is to go for either the 10" or 8" skywatcher and see how I go from there w.r.t. getting accessories and EP's later on.

As a sort of side question.. I've noticed at most local sites (at least the ones that have instant shipping calculators) that shipping to my address comes out over $300. Is this to be expected? I've shipped large items in the past myself so I can easily see how that is justifiable, but at http://www.ozscopes.com.au the final quoted shipping price for the 10" skywatcher is only $78(plus another $70 or so for insurance). The only problem there is that they are sold out for the next few weeks. Does $78 seem too low?
Old 30-10-2009, 01:01 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

being a physics student. are you likely to want to take photos with this telescope if so go the SW, if not go the GSO.
Old 30-10-2009, 06:44 PM
timmo567 (Tim)

I'm trying to not take the photo part of things into it as I'm already making it a lot harder than it has to be for myself . Though I'm sure I will try capturing the planets and moon at some stage. Thanks for the link, shipping is only $30 which gives me another good option.

I think I remember reading somewhere that with the dob's 10:1 fine focusing is important? If someone can tell me I'll be happy with the standard 1.25" focuser I'll be much less inclined to go for the upgrade (I figure I can always look for one second hand at a later time here if I feel the need to get one). Also I noticed the 12" super-deluxe version is $999 at andrews, implying that the basic version is $799... more options. I love how when I first started looking I started out around 6" and has gradually moved up to 10", now I'm contemplating 12" but practicality is telling me not to push my luck. Either way I'm going to wait at least a week as I seem to be changing my mind everyday. Also if it helps I have a feeling I'd have a interest in galaxies (one reason why the 2" upgrade seems reasonable, as possibly even the 12").

Last edited by timmo567; 30-10-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 30-10-2009, 07:15 PM
shane.mcneil

Tim

Are you able to see one in action. If you can it is a really good idea. This link here gives you a simulation of what to expect to see with 10" & 12".

Also while bigger is better, it is also harder to move. As they say the best telescope is the one you will use.

Regards
Old 30-10-2009, 08:08 PM
stephenb (Stephen)

Tim, I wouldn't stress out if the telescope you choose does not come with a 10:1 focuser, but if it does, bonus! All it means is that the focuser has both a fine and course adjustment.

for a reference, a 12" GSO Dob will just fit across the back of a VT Commodore, resting on the door arm rest. I know you may not have this vehicle, but I always use this as a reference. A 12" is starting to get in the "not so portable" range of scopes. I would recommend a Telrad, however. In my opinion, the best telescope invention of all time.
Old 30-10-2009, 08:23 PM
timmo567 (Tim)

I've decided that the 10" is the best mix between power and practicality for now.

My preliminary shopping list!

SkyWatcher 10-inch (http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-041C) - $795 (one 2" 28mm eye piece included)
Quick Collimation Tool (http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...sp?id=MAS-050A) - $40
Planisphere - $15
Guan Sheng 2x barlow, 2" (with 1.25" adaptor) - $49 (or $79 for ED, worth it?) http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-co...tm#accessories
Long Perng Wide angle eyepiece, 1.25", 10mm - $39 on special http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

Shipping ~ $50

That comes out to around $990. Leaves me with a 2" 28mm, a 1.25" 10mm and a 2x barlow which fits both the 2" and 1.25". Seems reasonable to me?