Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-09-2016, 08:46 PM
Greenswale (Wren)

A very tough call, and you certainly have my support in making it.

Is it October yet?
Old 26-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

noooooooo
What happened to this sentence right here 😱😱😱😥😥😥
"Please note: The camp will be proceeding regardless of rain, wind, snow or cloud. When booking in, please consider that refunds will not be given if pulling out due to the weather forecast. "

Dam stupid weather I hate you 😡😡

Arrrrhhhhh 😢😢😢 so does this mean the postponed camp is only 2days instead of 4 also 😱
Old 26-09-2016, 09:30 PM
byronpaul (Paul)

Hi Jen

Yes I'm sure we'll all be somewhat disappointed that we had to take this action, but nobody could have predicted the record rainfall in the Ballarat area.

Detailes of the deferred camp are still being finalised, but we would target at least 3 nights .... perhaps 4.

It's the Melbourne Cup long week for a lot of the city folk, but not for those attending from the country or interstate.

More details to follow shortly.

Paul
Old 26-09-2016, 09:38 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Maybe this is all still a consequence of my DDM60, my fault for all the rain
Old 26-09-2016, 09:39 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

ok I don't mind if it's being postponed as long as I still get my four days hehe 😜😜 is it October yet 😬😬
Oohh yes it's another long weekend Yayyy
Bring on four nights of clear skies 🤗🤗
Old 26-09-2016, 09:51 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Jen
I put that sentence in to make it clear that bookings would not be refunded if someone pulled out because the weather was looking a bit dodgy.
This situation is a bit different in that the deciding factor is the condition of the ground combined with weather.

As regards the number of nights, I hope 4 can be done. If we go for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, I would only be able to attend the last 2.

I had visions of you throwing things at your computer screen when you read my message!!

Anyway, fingers crossed!!

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 26-09-2016, 09:54 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Hi guys
Just to be clear, my reference to the 29th was only to make sure it was clear which weekend we are talking about. I did not mean to give the impression that the camp would be only 1 night!!
Planning at this stage is for 3 or 4 nights, just have to work out the logistics!!

Malcolm
Old 26-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I run my own business so I can take time off when I want
Old 26-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Jen
I put that sentence in to make it clear that bookings would not be refunded if someone pulled out because the weather was looking a bit dodgy.
This situation is a bit different in that the deciding factor is the condition of the ground combined with weather.

As regards the number of nights, I hope 4 can be done. If we go for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, I would only be able to attend the last 2.

I had visions of you throwing things at your computer screen when you read my message!!

Anyway, fingers crossed!!

Cheers

Malcolm
Ummm yes I did kind of have a bit of a hissy fit 😜😜 but I have calmed down now hahaha fair enough the weather is looking terrible I only just handed in my holiday requests for this camp and for Nhill for the first time mmmm now I think they will clash again arrrhhh oh well let's hope the weather is going to be awesome in a months time 🔭🔭🔭👍👍👍😎😎😎
Old 26-09-2016, 10:14 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

The clash with VicSouth was one of the things that made this a hard decision. I know of some who are heading there. No easy path unfortunately, with the full moon falling on the Saturday, the weekends either side are going to have some degree of moon issues.

One thing I would like to do is look at setting up a way for those SV regulars who are going to VicSouth to touch base with us over the weekend. Some Skyping or similar would be fun!!

Malcolm
Old 27-09-2016, 08:10 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

I would be in that. I am sure we can manage something, posts to the SVAC facebook group maybe?

Typical that this is the first year I have decided to go to Nhill, otherwise I would have been at the later date with bells on.
Old 28-09-2016, 08:36 AM
astro_nutt

Hi Malcom. You made a just call. Here's hoping for good weather in October!
Old 28-09-2016, 09:14 AM
04Stefan07 (Stefan)
Make it so! - Capt.Picard

I think the call was sensible and the best option.

I am good for the proposed weekend, I can move my annual to that time. My dad will be able to attend now as he will be back from his holiday
Old 28-09-2016, 10:14 AM
rcheshire (Rowland)

I don't think we can avoid event conflicts on every occasion. Seasonal factors dictate the most probable opportunity for clear skies. A narrow window at this time of the year.
Old 28-09-2016, 01:48 PM
leon

Hi,Guys I do hope that, that bad weather coming from the west is not going to affect you.
But, as being there a few times myself before, I'm sure you will entertain yourselves
Have a great camp to all.

Leon
Old 28-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Hi,Guys I do hope that, that bad weather coming from the west is not going to affect you.
But, as being there a few times myself before, I'm sure you will entertain yourselves
Have a great camp to all.

Leon
Hey gday Leon
Due to the crappy weather we have moved the dates to next new moon so hopefully the dates will be updated on this thread soon 😜😜
Old 29-09-2016, 12:56 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

It was a good call if last night is any guide. we had another 22mm overnight and we are awash again, I imagine the ground will be similar at Snake Valley.
Old 29-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

It looks like Saturday night is going to be good BUT that is of no consequence if the ground is too saturated to set up a scope to take advantage of it!
Old 29-09-2016, 02:56 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am hoping to set up at home on Saturday night now but I have a single roughly 20 square meter spot on the entire 44 acres that is firm enough! My usual haunt is better protected from passing headlights but is a quagmire.
Old 29-09-2016, 04:39 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

I am an hours south of SV, but usually SV get more rain than us when it is wet, and we are getting a lot here. Yes Saturday is still looking OK, so hoping everyone that was going will be able to get out then.
Having said that, when I say "better" it still shows "mostly cloudy" on the detailed Ballarat forecast here http://www.eldersweather.com.au/vic/...ailed-forecast

Malcolm