Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah definitely do some research and plan a trip over multiple days to enjoy what the countryside has to offer. It's not all endless km after km, even if there is a lot of that

Just don't believe all the pretty pictures we see in books and on the internet...Australia isn't always warm
Old 26-05-2015, 01:17 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Yes, they drive on the right side we drive on the correct side. Of course the blame for the whole side-of-the-road schemozzle comes down to Napoleon and America's hatred of the English after the War of Independence. Otherwise we'd all drive on the left just like they did in antiquity. [Well at least in Europe; did they have a system in China or India?]

The main problem I've seen over the years with overseas visitors (and plenty of Ozzies too) is that they underestimate travel times. Distances are huge and not all highways are suited to very high speeds. For a start the roads are often unfenced and stock will wander. You will soon enough know the sight and smell!! of dead cattle. You will also learn just how slow eagles are at taking off. I've had an emu step out from behind a bush when I was doing 100kmh. I couldn't have stopped but the acceleration of an alarmed emu is remarkable. Still, if I had been doing 120kmh I would have had drumsticks for dinner.

There is a lot of bumpf talked about the dangers of outback travel. It's true that there are vast areas where you should only venture if you are well equipped and know what you are doing. The main road to Uluru isn't one of them. My guess is that you will see another car every 5-10 minutes on the Sturt Highway and maybe every 15-20 minutes on the road to Uluru. Naturally you should be in a reliable vehicle but apart from I'd say the only thing to carry is some spare water and enough warm clothes, just in case you are stranded overnight. Oh yes ... perhaps a lighter so you can entertain yourself with a fire .

The name of a road is not necessarily a good indication of how well trafficked it is. Roads like the Sturt Hwy, Barrier Hwy and Barkley Hwy carry a lot of traffic but the Plenty Hwy and Sandover Hwy are considerably remote and the Gunbarrel Hwy ..... well, look it up!

Mobile phone coverage is basically pretty scant outside of towns but I've been surprised at times where I have got reception, and disappointed at other times with where I haven't got reception. Telstra has the best coverage but an Aldi prepaid (which uses the Telstra network), rather than a plan, might be the best bet for your needs. The Telstra phone coverage map is a work of fiction.

Have fun while you are here and remember to spend lots of money - we need it!
I live in a pretty remote region of Texas and I do allot of solo long distance traveling, so no problem. I read a book recently that someone recommended to me about traveling through Australia. It was called: "In a Sunburned Country" By Bill Bryson. If I go solo that may end up being my "guide." Phone coverage here is spotty to none at all. The only moblle phone that I have is old flip phone that I just use on trips. It is ancient by today's standards and I would not trust it. I have done some research into phones that I could use, one called a blu jenny looks promising but I will look into the Aldi.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 27-05-2015, 02:09 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

I have decided that if I have to go solo, I will. The only snag may be whether or not I have to get an international drivers license, it may be too late. Some of the information I have read about this is contradictory but I will find out.
Old 27-05-2015, 08:00 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Joe
Here is a link to the Govt website that deals with drivers licences for OS driver. Rules are different various states so there are links to the various State Govt websites.
http://www.australia.gov.au/content/...erseas-licence

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 27-05-2015, 09:44 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Joe
Here is a link to the Govt website that deals with drivers licences for OS driver. Rules are different various states so there are links to the various State Govt websites.
http://www.australia.gov.au/content/...erseas-licence

Cheers

Malcolm
Thanks!
Old 27-05-2015, 10:21 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

The other standard warning for outback travel is 'watch out for road trains'. I believe you have multiple-trailer trucks in Texas so they won't be a complete surprise but Australia has the biggest and longest trucks in the world. They can be an impressive sight but also require (nay, demand!) consideration from other motorists. Obviously they don't stop or turn quickly and they fill up the road. The more modern designs that use 'B' couplings track very well, and B-doubles are used on a lot of roads throughout Australia, but the old dog-trailer type can wander about a fair bit. The standard triple train used to move cattle has 5 pivot points and is 50m long. I've followed one and the rear trailer was moving a full trailer width to the left and to the right so that the truck was occupying three truck widths. This was on a road (the Sturt Hwy before it was upgraded) that had one lane of tar so the rear trailer was wandering into the dirt and throwing up stones. The shoulders were narrow and steep so I sat 100m behind the road train for an hour doing 80kmh before it pulled into a rest area. On the tar give them plenty of room. If you meet one coming the other way on dirt pull over and stop; you won't be able to see for a minute ot two anyway.

http://www.outback-australia-travel-...ad-trains.html
http://www.shangralafamilyfun.com/roadtrain.html
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...in_-_Tambo.JPG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Australia.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
.... Rules are different various states ...
Wonderful isn't it?
Old 27-05-2015, 03:31 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheel69 View Post
Thanks! I am still thinking about it. it will be a challenge driving on the "wrong" side of the road. I have been reading up on it though!

Joe W.
Mate, I did it stateside and after 10 minutes, not an issue. I used to freak people out by driving Aussie style in Nevada. What a hoot. Dont sweat it!
Old 28-05-2015, 12:08 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_draco View Post
Mate, I did it stateside and after 10 minutes, not an issue. I used to freak people out by driving Aussie style in Nevada. What a hoot. Dont sweat it!
If you see a car looking lost down under in Aug. That will be me. Just a confused Yank!
Old 28-05-2015, 01:33 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

I have been trying to send a question regarding the Queensland Astrofest on their website but I keep getting an error message. Does anyone have some contact info for them other than the form on their site? Here is form that I am having trouble with:

http://www.qldastrofest.org.au/index...iew=alfcontact

Maybe they are having connection issues at the moment, I will try again later.

Joe
Old 28-05-2015, 08:38 AM
MichaelSW (Michael)

Joe,

Sent you a PM with e-mail contact for the Registra.

Any official e-mail from the Registrar comes from registrar@qldastrofest.org.au

Last edited by MichaelSW; 28-05-2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Further info.
Old 29-05-2015, 11:02 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

I got my visa approved today and I am looking into booking flights and hiring a car. I do have a question though. All of the car hiring companies offer unlimited km but they have restrictions on where I can drive. I really do want to see Uluru, and also Siding Spring Observatory, but it may be above the "snow line." I am going to talk to a travel agent but if anyone would have any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
Old 29-05-2015, 11:54 AM
clive milne

Joe, if it was me, I would skip Uluru and visit the Flinders ranges (and Arkaroola) instead. Uluru may be iconic, but the Flinders are more spectacular (and closer) The view from the top of St Mary's peak just needs to be seen to be believed. The observatory at Arkaroola resort has arguably the best skies in the country.

regards,
c
Old 29-05-2015, 12:39 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Nice one Joe

It's true the Warrumbungles can get some snow in winter, but at least by my definition of snow line then you should be OK for Siding Springs. Obviously wait for a response from an expert, or contact the rental company directly. I'd be really surprised if they described anything that far north as having a snow line. In Australia, I'd draw that line around the Australian Alps down on the border of NSW and Victoria.

There are certainly parts of the route from Brisbane to Coonabarabran that have some altitude (around 1000m or so) but it's all major roads, which in Australia means single carriageway, one lane each way, sealed (paved), but little in the way of highways once you get away from the state capitals

Depending on how much time you have, and how much of it you want to spend driving, you could always drive round in a loop taking in both Uluru and the Flinders. It's not like there's a direct road anyway
Old 30-05-2015, 12:29 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

Thanks for all of the help everyone!
Old 30-05-2015, 12:44 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

Also I am going to be in country for almost a month and I will have plenty of time!
Old 30-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Sounds awesome
Old 31-05-2015, 04:35 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Sounds awesome
I want to see and do as much as I can. I have never used a roundabout before so that will be a challenge!
Old 31-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Joe,

There's some serious good advice been offered, even if some of it seems a little "tongue in cheek", etc. The following link is for the New South Wales driving handbook and although rules may (slightly) vary in other states it should give you a bit of an idea of what to expect........especially regarding roundabouts, etc. .........http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ok-english.pdf

I don't know where you're planning to land in Aust., or which direction you may wish to head but my thought is that learning to adapt to LH side of the road driving isn't something to attempt in an unfamiliar major city, especially if you're getting over the flight across the pond. You could either book into accommodation for a day or two and get the feel of things before venturing further afield or book a connecting domestic flight to a regional city (ie: smaller, less busy) and start from there......for example, if you're arriving in Sydney, have a "connecting" flight booked to Newcastle (approx., 100 miles north), in Sydney, you'd just have to allow time to get from the international terminal to the domestic terminal. The N'cle airport is on a major RAAF base and the city and/or the major North-South highway are only about 20 minutes drive away (in different directions). If you're landing in Brisbane then all I can say as someone from south of the border is God help you .

I hope you enjoy your time here and don't be surprised if at the end of it, you are regretting not having two or three months available.

All the best.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 AM
jwheel69 (Joe Wheelock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrock View Post
Joe,

There's some serious good advice been offered, even if some of it seems a little "tongue in cheek", etc. The following link is for the New South Wales driving handbook and although rules may (slightly) vary in other states it should give you a bit of an idea of what to expect........especially regarding roundabouts, etc. .........http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...ok-english.pdf

I don't know where you're planning to land in Aust., or which direction you may wish to head but my thought is that learning to adapt to LH side of the road driving isn't something to attempt in an unfamiliar major city, especially if you're getting over the flight across the pond. You could either book into accommodation for a day or two and get the feel of things before venturing further afield or book a connecting domestic flight to a regional city (ie: smaller, less busy) and start from there......for example, if you're arriving in Sydney, have a "connecting" flight booked to Newcastle (approx., 100 miles north), in Sydney, you'd just have to allow time to get from the international terminal to the domestic terminal. The N'cle airport is on a major RAAF base and the city and/or the major North-South highway are only about 20 minutes drive away (in different directions). If you're landing in Brisbane then all I can say as someone from south of the border is God help you .

I hope you enjoy your time here and don't be surprised if at the end of it, you are regretting not having two or three months available.

All the best.
I am landing in Brisbane and I have been thinking about some of the things that you mentioned. I may book another flight from Brisbane to maybe, Townsville, stay for a day to acclimated, check out some sites there, then head south to Astrofest and go from there. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:43 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Be careful of distances.
Townsville is about 1,000 miles north and would be looking at 15 hours driving for the return trip.

Sunshine Coast Airport is a lot closer to your destination (IMHO)

One place I would recommend while in the area to visit would be Maidenwell. (Maidenwell Astronomical Observatory might be an hours drive from where Astrofest will be held, and has some seriously dark skies.