Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2023, 11:46 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

A question about using a DSLR

I've got a nice 18MP Canon EOS1200D currently having a Baader mod done. (Remove LPF2 and replace with a Baader filter but keeping LPF1). I also have an Astronomik 6nm Ha filter (clip-in variety) suited to this camera.

It may turn out to be a bit of a dud experiment but I'm curious to learn how well (or not) one can combine the two. I understand exposure times will be lengthened considerably with the Ha filter in place but my question (asked entirely out of ignorance I assure you all) is what the impact is on the Bayer matrix - are the green/blue channels essentially neutered?

And how does one get a monochrome Ha image out of this combination?
Old 01-03-2023, 01:50 PM
glend (Glen)

Peter, i have extensively modded a number of Canons, mostly 450Ds. yes you are correct with your assumptions. A camera which retains a Bayer matrix will not have the same capability as one which has had the matrix removed. Removing the Bayer matrix is a very difficult job, but it can be done, the usual most successful way is to rub it off by hand. In my experience, my success rate was one In three, meaning I would try three and get one that was useful. I used to buy replacement sensors from China and the USA. The technique is published online so I won't go over it here. But some tools would be required, a good circular magnifier light is essential in my opinion.
As to shooting Ha with the matrix still in place, yes, it will take a longer time, but do some trials on a heavy Ha target to get a reference.
Have fun.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:32 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Yeah you’d be better off with one of those multi band filters so you collect data I’m the other narrow bands at the same time.

The challenge is as much getting signal out of the noise, which will be horrendous on a warm summer night. Perfectly manageable in winter though.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:44 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post
Yeah you’d be better off with one of those multi band filters so you collect data I’m the other narrow bands at the same time.

The challenge is as much getting signal out of the noise, which will be horrendous on a warm summer night. Perfectly manageable in winter though.
Of course you can cool some DSLRs but we would need a whole new thread to get into that. There are a few threads here on IIS on cooling, a couple documenting my experience. If you learn to use the search function they are still there in the archives.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:13 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post

Yeah. I have a couple of Optalong L* filters and no doubt I could mount them in the imaging train. As for cooling a DSLR, I’ve had a couple of tries at this and decided the DSLR will only be a winter camera. The current ASI line of cooled ccds do it much more efficiently anyway.
Old 03-03-2023, 11:13 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

As glend says, that’s not to say there’s not fun to be had with a DSLR, especially an inexpensive one, as a little daytime project