Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:28 AM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
always learning something coming in here .
I sure have. A redesign and a visit to the brass supplier are in order for my project....it was all going so well. Actually the slip clutch works very well.
This is a picture before I added the worm gear. I'll need to replace the aluminium with brass. It's back to the brass supplier and Metro Bolts! Anyone have a couple of 4" x1/2" Brass discs needing a new home?
All this is totally reversible too, just in case anyone has any concerns about my way of bringing this mount back to life. Comments thoughts etc send them in! I am an ASV member so I should join the ATM section...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_4164.jpg)
116.3 KB23 views
Old 12-09-2014, 03:30 PM
DIYman (Doug)

Thanks Guys for the comments about my experience. I went and brushed up on galvanic corrosion and Roger you are right. I should not be using stainless steel with aluminum. It looks like zinc will be OK so this weekend I will replace the SS set bolts with zinc coated ones. Cheers
Old 12-09-2014, 04:05 PM
MattT
Reflecting on Refracting

Thanks JohnB for the knife link, looked up how to do it. More to this than I thought...learning along the way. Good top know aluminium and galvanised bolts play happily together too.