Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30-03-2023, 12:33 PM
PRejto (Peter)

N.I.N.A. Hocus Focus?

Hello,
I’m trying out NINA because I want to use Hocus Focus to analyse back focus and tilt. I’m unsure how to setup and run the program initially. I can’t find any sort of instructions on the NINA forum. Obviously one first enters the required step size, etc in the program. What isn’t clear to me is whether it is necessary to first create focus curves (i.e., as in using FocusMax) or does HF run more like @F3 in TheSkyX? Yes, I can just try, but would rather not waste time getting nowhere on these precious few clear nights!

Thanks
Peter
Old 30-03-2023, 02:21 PM
Stephane

Hi Peter, this video from Chad (PatriotAstro) should have all the info you’re looking for.
Old 30-03-2023, 03:08 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Once you've got it working it's great. I shared in a different post the results :-

https://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/...31&postcount=2
Old 02-04-2023, 02:00 PM
Martin Pugh

Peter
HP certainly gave me better star detection having followed the process discussed in the video. This was particularly true at the further most position of the focusser (largest HFR). Stars were detected and framed extremely well compared to NINA default.

As for resultant R2, the differences were almost incomparable, but there again the seeing where my CDK24 is located is excellent and often sub-arc.

Martin
Old 03-04-2023, 07:00 AM
PRejto (Peter)

Sorry for my silence. I’ve been away and got distracted. I appreciate all the input and responses and I will study them in depth. Many thanks!

Peter