Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-08-2015, 06:03 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

TV Antenna Extension

Hi

I have an amplified tv spliter with spare outlet which provides good tv reception.
I want to extend it to another room in the house but extension via cable would be very difficult. The internal house structure is gyprock covered
wooden studs (ie no brickwork to pass through).

Can extension be achieved by wireless adaptors or perhaps over the ac mains? Any suggestions?

Cheers Peter
Old 27-08-2015, 10:17 AM
KISSMAD (Bruce)

Have you thought about putting the cable through the floor?
Old 27-08-2015, 11:14 AM
Baddad (Marty)
Teknition

Check with Jaycar. They have audio/video transmitters/receivers that will do the job. I have used them. They have a remote control to change channels.

Cheers
Old 28-08-2015, 03:57 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately no underfloor access is possible at all Marty.

Bruce - I have had a look at my old 2012 JayCar catalogue and see there may be some possibilities and perhaps some new ones are available.

I would prefer a method that would transmit/receive the complete TV uhf band and then permit individual channel selection in the normal way by the TV. Is this possible? Alternatively if individual channel selection was available at the receiving end then presumably the TV could be connected
to it via one of its AV inputs and channel selection done at the extension receiver. I would appreciate more advice on what is possible and perhaps you may be able to direct me to a suitable JayCar device.

Cheers Peter
Old 28-08-2015, 04:00 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Oops - I see I got your names around the wrong way - sorry! Peter
Old 30-08-2015, 09:15 AM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
The internal house structure is gyprock covered
wooden studs (ie no brickwork to pass through).
Extending the cabling is the easiest way, it's really not that difficult.

Either in the roof or under the floor is the way to go, you say the floor's out so hopefully you have roof access. If you have plaster covered stud walls there's no reason you can't get a cable through. Find the top or bottom plate and drill a decent sized hole. Unless your house is very old you will have noggins in the wall, you can drill through these with a spade bit and a couple of extensions. Sometimes you can get the cable down through existing routes used for telephone or power.

Craftech extension bits are available from Bunnings, 3 will get to the middle of even a 9 ft wall. http://www.bunnings.com.au/craftrigh...n-bit_p6320509. You'll also need a locking spade bit, I use a 32mm size so that when I drill the plate I can visually check the drill path.

Last edited by acropolite; 30-08-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 30-08-2015, 04:44 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Thanks Phil - I will look into this method. Cheers Peter
Old 30-08-2015, 06:58 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I went a totally different way. I have a networked TV tuner and management software running on a NAS. From there TV can be streamed to any PC or similar device in the house. I use a plugin for Kodi (XBMC) to access and manage recordings, but you can watch live FTA TV through it as well (With PVR functionality like pausing and rewinding live TV)

Funny enough, I went through a lot of iterations to make something work to a point I was happy with it and then have progressively lost interest in FTA TV in any case. We pretty much only used to watch F1 Grand Prix on it and with the new TV deal that split out half of the races to pay TV where I have to spend enough per year to put the yearly brakes on my race car, the result has been me loosing interest and not bothering at all. I have thought about removing the tuner and deleting the software off my NAS to free up resources.
Old 31-08-2015, 02:24 PM
pjphilli (Peter)

Thanks Paul
This is an interesting solution. However, I had to read up on NAS to understand it. I may consider going this way too. Yes FTA tv is becoming dismal by the week and you wonder what its future is. I too am inclined to enjoy fixing up something more than actually using it! Must be the "constructor's syndrome" or some such.
Cheers Peter
Old 31-08-2015, 04:12 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

That said, there is software available for most types of computer to do the same job as I am using the NAS for. I went with the NAS solution after a lot of iterations as it is switched on 24/7 anyway and when we were recording from a home theater PC, the recordings were stored on the NAS in any case, to keep from having noisy hard drives next to the TV.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Kunama

Do you need the antenna point in an internal wall? If the house is brick veneer you can drop cables in down the external wall easily. If you need it on an internal wall, a spade bit welded onto the end of a 1.5m reo rod does the job for me, then I use a strip of plastic from the edge of yellow tongue flooring to get through noggins and pull cables through. I have a splitter close to the aerial in the roof cavity and run four coaxials from it to the four TVs.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:36 AM
GUS.K (Ivan)

The easiest option would be to call an antenna installer or an electrician who would have all the tools necessary, can do it properly and can check the quality and strength of the signal. And you can't run comms or TV cable in the same hole as power. Price should be around the $150 mark, at least it will be done properly.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:56 AM
gts055 (Mark)

Hii Peter, Plaster walls are very easy to drill through, just find the studs and noggins with a stud finder or use your knuckles and listen for the change in sound. BUT, be very aware that plumbing and house wiring is hidden in the walls, so, drill very slowly just through the first plaster wall and make sure its clear before pushing through to the next wall. Mark
Old 01-09-2015, 11:16 AM
pjphilli (Peter)

Thanks for the additional suggestions - I should be able to find a solution from these. What I am surprised about is apparently a broadband TV band UHF transmitter/receiver wireless pair is not available so that you could simply plug the antenna into the transmit end and plug the TV antenna input into the receiver. I should imagine there would be a market for such a device as long as the price was reasonable. Cheers Peter
Old 01-09-2015, 05:25 PM
ozjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjphilli View Post
Thanks for the additional suggestions - I should be able to find a solution from these. What I am surprised about is apparently a broadband TV band UHF transmitter/receiver wireless pair is not available so that you could simply plug the antenna into the transmit end and plug the TV antenna input into the receiver. I should imagine there would be a market for such a device as long as the price was reasonable. Cheers Peter
Hi Peter, please pm me ,I may have a solution for you.
thanks Joe