Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23-05-2007, 02:58 PM
mwill76

Telescope for child?

Hi all,

My first post, I'm researching for my son who is turning 7 next month and desperately wants a telescope.

He's a keen learner and is 'bright' for his age and picks up anything to do with technology very quickly. He's already got an astonomy book and studies the stars and moon and recalls info about them so I think he will grasp a telescope quite easily.

I have no idea where to start or what to look for when it comes to these things (he will work it out how to use it before I do no doubt) and was after some opinions as to what brand and model to buy for a first timer.

I don't want to get him anything 'too' basic and want to get him a proper scope not a 'toy' one.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Old 23-05-2007, 03:35 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi there! Welcome to IIS!

You've made the right decision by seeking advice first, and not just getting him a cheap ebay refractor, which ultimately he would be disappointed with.

The best scope for a child would have to be a 6" or 8" dob. They're easy to use, easy to setup, require no batteries or power to use, and are great value for money.

Check out shops like Bintel, MyAstroShop and Andrews Communications, who all sell versions of the 6" and 8" dobs.

An example one is here: 6" dob at MyAstroShop

Make sure you keep asking questions!
Old 23-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Miaplacidus (Brian)
He used to cut the grass.

Hello and welcome,

My suggestion would be first to get along to a local astro club viewing night. That way you can try out some scopes and pick a few brains at the same time.

If you haven't got binoculars, then a pair or 7x50s or 10x50s are often a very good starting tool, and useful at other times too if the interest in astronomy wanes. (That and "Australian Astronomy 2007" or a magazine subscription. These have almanacs of astro events.)

Good luck,

Brian.
Old 23-05-2007, 04:13 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

My two sons, now 8 and 10, have been pushing my 8" dob around for a few years now. Its amazing just how quickly they pick it up.

So I would second Mike's suggestion of a 6 or 8" dob.

Cheers
Old 23-05-2007, 05:06 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

4.5" Dob would be great for a little one. 6 or 8" for bigger kids. I'd say 4.5" for a 7 y.o. but they seem to be hard to get for reasonable cost. AZ3 mounted refractor, e.g. 80mm from http://www.aoe.com.au/refractors.html , is not too shabby either.
Old 23-05-2007, 06:26 PM
mwill76

Thanks for all the replys!

Ok so I take it from the posts so far that 'refractors' are the better option (at least in this case) over 'reflectors'?

Thanks for the links also, good to have a look at prices etc, I couldn't find many sites when I googled this afternoon!

M
Old 23-05-2007, 07:05 PM
taminga16 (Greg)

The "dobs" that people are referring to are actually reflector telescopes and the "dob" part is in reference to the type of mount, named after John Dobson the designer. An 8" dobsonian mounted reflector would be a great start and whilst you may feel it a little tall initially, an adjustable height observers chair would overcome any problems that your son may have. Regards Greg.
PM me when you get sorted and I will send some simple chair plans. G.
Old 23-05-2007, 08:26 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

A 6" or 8" Dob is an excellent choice for a Family Telescope.
They have a low centre of gravity so it won't get knocked over easily by enthusiatic children and the mount is simple to operate.

I love my Dob.
So do my kids.
Old 23-05-2007, 09:24 PM
wavelandscott (Scott)
Plays well with others!

Okay, first things first...if possible you should get to a viewing night with a local club so that you and your child can see a few different scopes and some of their strengths and weaknesses...

I did not notice your location but there are IIS people all over and I'm sure that it would be easy to find a volunteer(s) to show you some gear if a veiwing night or club is not easy to find.

My boys are 6 and 9 and both "participate" in the hobby more or less...sometimes more, sometimes less...so I understand some of which you are going through.

There are a few different levels of telescopes...your seriousness and budget will determine at what level you should spend.

Although bemoaned and ridiculed by most of us at some time or other...for just little bit of money you can buy a "telescope" at Duck Smith's or AUS Geographic...these are basically "toys"...they are cheap but they can show you the moon...generally they are cheaply made (plastic bits etc.) but they will work...I do not recommend them...

However, for a 7 year old that is uncertain about interest or if you are on a really tight budget it is an option...that said, I would avoid them if possible.

Alternatively, you can go to a "specialized" store...again there are several scattered around the country...they will stock good "value" based gear and also some fabulous "budget busting" stuff too. Some shops are better with service/advice than others but that is a different question which you can ask about later...everyone who has ever purcahsed gear will have an opinion on this topic.

Again, a well stocked shop is a great place to see all the different makes and models and ask some questions of generally knowledgable staff. Like all "retail" shops the world over, prices for the same (or similar) gear can and do vary store to store so do look around.

What type of scope?...Until you see a few yourself (assuming from your post that you are new to all of this too) it is hard to offer much advice that is meaningful to you...Learning the terminology is a good place to start. If you search the web for articles on "Buying your first telescope" you will get some good basics. I also would recommend a subscription to Australian Sky and Telescope and/or Sky and Space (both "local" magazines available as subscription and at "better" news agents) would be a good place to start.

My brief synopsis (don't crucify me for over simplifying):

refractor - looks like a telescope...Good day or night...easy to set up and use...but, a good one costs lots of money. Small ones are good on moon and most planets but not of much use for other deep sky stuff...uses lenses

reflector-does not look like a telescope...Good at night (not day) best "value" in that you get the most "viewing power" for your money...will do plantes, moon and heaps of deep sky stuff well...Dobsonians are dead simple to use...but you need to learn how to "collimate" (it only sounds scary)...uses mirrors

SCT (and others) - looks like a mutant telescope (shorter and fatter)...can be used day or night...it is a bit of a cross between refractors and reflectors and can use lenses and mirrors (and correctors)...it is in my opinion a "compromise" scope...I've not had a lot of experience with them...probably too complicated for a 7 year old...

Hope some of this rambling makes sense...good luck and enjoy the hobby!
Old 23-05-2007, 11:28 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

The best advice has been given. 6" - 8" Dob.

Yep, if you can get to a local Astro club, all the better.

My boys, now 11 & 14 have been using my 12" dob for 2 years and find it easy to use. They own their own 8".

Our Clubs lending sope is an 8" Dob and none of the kids have trouble using it.
Harry (11 y.o.) is in charge of it when all the kids are using it. There is even a 5 y.o. who likes looking thru it and has no difficulty. It definately isn't a toy! It shows many fine Deep Space Objects as well as the Moon and Planets.
Old 24-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Blue Skies (Jacquie)
It's about time

I'll back up the 6" or 8" dob - although I have seen a kid grab a 17.5" and push it around! A 6" would be easier to handle by himself but then he could grow into the 8", you'd just have to be prepared to give him a hand getting it outside to start with.
Old 25-05-2007, 11:52 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

A 7 y.o. will be able to use a 6 or 8" Dob no probs but might struggle to move it or set it up themselves. The Dob will give better views and with some minimal assistance the best choice. But if the child will want to really own the scope and take charge of it (keep it in bedroom, take it out when they feel like it, take it over to show neighbours' kids etc) then it will need to be something smaller IMO like e.g. an AZ mounted refractor. Or if you really want to spoil them, a 5" Newt on a Vixen Porta mount - like Starklers setup - provided you are willing to (teach how to) collimate it.
Old 25-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Uchtungbaby

A pair of adjustable binoculars can be a good start. They have to be adjustable or they won't fit the half hand span of the forehead.

The Hugo Telescope at the National Geographic Shop is pretty good as well, but he will have to stand on something. I have a Hugo telescope myself. I think it includes some valuable lessons for parent and child. It is fantastic. The mirror is good. Perhaps a little too good for young eyes. The planets will probably be too bright for him, and he will find it difficult to distinguish features amidst the light.

You may notice how you see a doubling of the moon when you view it with the naked eye. Your son does not see a doubling of vision produced through the aging of the eye. He sees it crisp and clear without blur. This will not hinder his view of the moon through a telescope. However, he will find more distant objects too bright to distinguish features. This is why it is better for a child to view celestial objects during periods of atmospheric disturbance (.i.e.,smog).
Old 30-05-2007, 10:56 AM
mwill76

Thanks so much for all the detail you lot are putting into your post, it is very much appreciated.

I've been looking, and wondering what you actually put the dobs on? Just sit them on a table or something when in use I presume?

What about this for a first timer?

SkyWatcher SW450 Reflector EQ1/2 w/drive

114mm (4.5-inch) Newtonian on equatorial mount

Normally $399.00 - On Special: $295.00

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/produc...asp?id=MAS-060

M
Old 30-05-2007, 11:07 AM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

First question first, you just put the dob on the ground and use it there. You will need a chair/stool for when the eyepiece is low but the eyepiece will always be easy to get to.

Second question, I would not go for a GEM for a kid. It has to be aligned, the eyepiece can end up in some really awful positions as the scope tracks objects, they are much more complicated than a simple dob mount.

For the same money have a look at the 6" dob here. Simpler to use and MUCH more light gathering ability.

Cheers
Old 30-05-2007, 11:32 AM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Last thing I'd buy is an EQ mounted scope. The light ones are way to wobbly, the sturdy ones too heavy. And they are cumbersome to set up and operate.

The only sensible choices for a child's scope are Dob mounted Newt or Alt-Az mounted refractor, small (<=5") Newt or Cassegrain IMO. The Dob will give the best views per dollar.
Old 30-05-2007, 01:54 PM
mwill76

OK I am sold on the dob now....found a store that has them for $379 on sale in Melbourne, so am happy with that price.

Now I need start up book ideas for him.

I have already purchased 'The Night Sky' by Steve Massey, although it seems a bit in depth even for my son who is an avid reader.

So where to start with basic info for him?
Old 30-05-2007, 02:00 PM
mwill76

Along with the mag subsciption AST, would the book 'Astronomy 2007- Australia' be a good starting point?

Michelle
Old 30-05-2007, 03:15 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Not for a 7 y.o. Too technical. There are astronomy guide books aimed at kids. Some members with kids should be able to point you in the right direction. Wombat_in_space?

btw. Planisphere is a must have.
Old 30-05-2007, 03:23 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

My boys like borrowing Astronomy books from the library. Even though there are plenty of Astro books at home and at the club, they like to flick thru the pages at the library and if they like the book, they borrow it. I'd rather they choose an Astro book they are interested in rather than one I suggest.

Our library (Mobile library on Tuesday arvo's) has many Astro books aimed at kids.

If there are any he is very interested in, then you know which ones to buy