Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2023, 12:33 PM
middy

Light pollutiom help

Hi everyone. I'm after some suggestions on how to deal with this monstrosity (ideas not involving vandalism preferred ). The new house that has just been built on the other side of my back fence has this ridiculously bright floodlight mounted ridiculously high up. The only places that need lights this high and this bright are shopping centre car parks and prison yards. It basically lights up my backyard as well. That is my observatory roof in the foreground.
Anyway, I was thinking of constructing some poles with black cloth that I can put up while imaging, to shade the light, but I also suspect it will contribute to the light glow in general. Would some kind of light pollution filter help at all with this problem? I am assuming that it is an LED floodlight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (LightPollution_small.jpg)
139.5 KB112 views
Old 08-05-2023, 05:52 AM
glend (Glen)

Many folks have had to deal with inconsiderate neighbors and similiar light intrusion, just ask Allan Meehan about his near identical problem.
1. Brisbane is probably the worse light polluted place in Australia. There is no policy that respects a residents rights in relation to light intrusion. Have a look at the global light pollution map to see the extent of the problem in your area.
2. Attempts to block that light, with tarps, black cloth etc can result in little more than a neighbourhood eyesore and bring conflicts. Most people see lights at night as equating to security. Trees such as Leighton Green conifer hedges can help alot, I have a high hedge of seven of them and they work, but it has taken seven years to get to the stage where they are highly effective ( but in my case the only light is a street light a couple of hundred metres away).
3. Hedges, blocking tarps, etc do not stop light scatter, and reflection, as you can see on the colorblind shed roof in your photo.
4. Two suggestions: ask the neighbor to put a timer on that light, or a sensor to activate it if an intruder is detected in there yard (not yours). Some people may respond well, others go feral and see a chance to destroy your dreams and put up more or just ignore you.
5. Most successful strategy, switch to narrowband imaging, specifically Ha band, it maybe the only part of the spectrum unaffected.
6. Move. Don't laugh, I know of one person in Newcastle who did exactly that. Moving is a valid option for some people, if you love astronomy, and if you do move, get out of Brisbane all together if possible. Buy an acerage west of the range, or a weekend retreat if you can. Alternative might be to simply be satisfied with dark site trips away from Brisbane, an that includes the entire corridor from the Sunshine coast to Tweed river.
Good luck
Old 08-05-2023, 06:12 AM
leon

Wow that is bright, does that thing just burn all night?
As suggested maybe a meeting with your neighbor, you maybe surprised with the outcome if you explain what you do.
Other than that your only solution could be some decent PL filters.

Leon
Old 08-05-2023, 11:57 AM
glend (Glen)

I am attaching a photo of my "Light Blockage" solution. As you can see by the sunslight and shadows on the observatory side, it works pretty well. It does stop neighbor yard lights (rarely on anyway), and importantly a pesky street light up the hill on the left side. However, this sort of solution takes a long time to be effective (in my case 7 years), but once established there are no further concerns. Of course if your renting this is not an option I would imagine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (trees.jpg)
197.3 KB65 views
Old 08-05-2023, 02:27 PM
Startrek (Martin)

How’s this for an illuminated backyard !!
It’s my backyard in Sydney under Bortle 8 Skies on most nights
My neighbours leave their exterior and flood lights on until late and no one is in the yard ??
My backyard is like daylight , Las Vegas by night !!!
I resorted to using Polytarps from Bunnings to screen my Astro rig on 2 sides
Oh and narrowband filters are the order of the day

Cheers
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (09E177D1-40EC-435E-9DDF-806899840880.jpg)
204.5 KB92 views
Click for full-size image (102CAAD4-B66C-4F19-BE54-D0D120A8C5A2.jpg)
225.8 KB70 views
Old 08-05-2023, 02:55 PM
leon

Martin that is just crazy, that seems pretty close to light abuse, why would they want to burn so much power when no one is around.

Leon
Old 08-05-2023, 05:41 PM
bojan
amateur

There must be some regulation applicable to those extremes...
Yes, a chat with a neighbor may help.

Get to know them, invite them to viewing a Saturn or Moon or some nebula.. .. and gently mention that view would be much better if that light is not so intrusive ;-)
Old 08-05-2023, 09:15 PM
middy

Thanks for the input guys. Wow Martin, my light pollution problem suddenly seems insignificant compared to yours.
I should add that the house has only recently been completed and is still empty yet. It is on the market if anybody has a lazy $1.6m. Maybe you could buy it and remove the light for me.
My garden is quite small so there is not a lot of options for trees/hedges behind the observatory. I'll probably resort to something like Martin has done with a screen that can be quickly put up and taken down.

I'm more of a galaxy guy than a nebula guy. I was under the impression that narrow band filters, like the Optolong L-Enhance, were only really good for nebulae. It would cut out most of the signal from the galaxy blowing out the acquisition times. What narrow band filters do you use, Martin?
Old 08-05-2023, 09:45 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by middy View Post
Thanks for the input guys. Wow Martin, my light pollution problem suddenly seems insignificant compared to yours.
I should add that the house has only recently been completed and is still empty yet. It is on the market if anybody has a lazy $1.6m. Maybe you could buy it and remove the light for me.
My garden is quite small so there is not a lot of options for trees/hedges behind the observatory. I'll probably resort to something like Martin has done with a screen that can be quickly put up and taken down.

I'm more of a galaxy guy than a nebula guy. I was under the impression that narrow band filters, like the Optolong L-Enhance, were only really good for nebulae. It would cut out most of the signal from the galaxy blowing out the acquisition times. What narrow band filters do you use, Martin?
I don’t use filters for galaxies, they mess with colour
The 2600MC has an internal UV/IR cut filter as it’s protective window which is all you need
Sydney Bortle 8 , I’m limited to 60 to 90 sec subs for Galaxies
South Coast Bortle 3, I usually use 180 to 300 sec subs for Galaxies
I use the Antlia ALPT 5nm Dualband filter for all emission nebula, it’s the best OSC narrowband dualband filter I’ve used so far. Far superior to my old ZWO and better than my recent L Extreme too.

Cheers
Martin
Old 08-05-2023, 10:11 PM
glend (Glen)

Middy, if that house is unoccupied, an air rifle would solve the problem. Not that I condone violence.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:28 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

Get a large mirror and reflect the light back to them. Especially if you can direct it to their windows.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:38 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
How’s this for an illuminated backyard !!
It’s my backyard in Sydney under Bortle 8 Skies on most nights
My neighbours leave their exterior and flood lights on until late and no one is in the yard ??
My backyard is like daylight , Las Vegas by night !!!
I resorted to using Polytarps from Bunnings to screen my Astro rig on 2 sides
Oh and narrowband filters are the order of the day

Cheers
Martin
Time to buy an air rifle (kidding... or am I)
Old 10-05-2023, 08:39 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

I feel your pain. My neighbour has installed floodlights that point up to light his 30m Sydney Red Gum. The thing is on a timer, so it shines regardless of whether they're home or not.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:51 AM
bojan
amateur

AS/NZS 4282:2019
Specifies requirements for the control of the obtrusive effects of outdoor lighting
Also here.

A bit more here.