Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2019, 03:20 AM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Jupiter 05 May 19

Some image captures from last night/this morning..

GRS coming into view on one of the images together with a couple of moons.

First image was 2 minutes of video with ZWO ASI224MC IR/UV cut filter in place, 8"SCT Alt/Az mount, stacked in AS3, sharpened in Registax 6 & final processing in Affinity Photo

Second image was 2 minutes of video with ZWO ASI224MC No IR/UV cut filter, same scope & processing

Sharpest images of Jupiter I have managed yet... I only wish they were a little bigger.. might try 2.5x powermate next time to see how that goes

Please feel free to comment, critique, suggest changes...

I also tried to capture some IR data for the first time but, that didn't work out so well, image is a bit dark, featureless and blurry.. obviously I need to do some reading on IR captures & put in more work with IR imagery.

Thanks for looking...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Jupiter IR Cut after Wavelets.jpg)
25.4 KB59 views
Click for full-size image (Jupiter No IR cut after Wavelets.jpg)
22.7 KB63 views
Old 06-05-2019, 10:55 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

Saw your post earlier this morning after I'd come in from an observing session on Jupiter. Seeing was pretty good for the few hours I was a the eyepiece, crisp views at 200X in an 150mm f8 newt. Should have gotten the camera gear out but was enjoying the visual too much.
The 2 moons in your 1st image were almost above each other at 3:00 am and the Red Spot was prominent.
Did you stack all the video frames or select a best percentage from the video file. Get much better results if you select something like a best 20% after viewing the video stream and finding a best image for the reference frame for AS3 to use.
Fine attempt, keep it going.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:16 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Hey Jeff,

I had a great visual session on some galaxies for about 4 hours waiting for Jupiter to rise above the trees behind my place.

Ummm, I stacked like 75% of the whole video....

Perhaps I should try that again....

How do I find & select best image for a reference frame?

Processing is one area I am really struggling with to be honest...

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
Saw your post earlier this morning after I'd come in from an observing session on Jupiter. Seeing was pretty good for the few hours I was a the eyepiece, crisp views at 200X in an 150mm f8 newt. Should have gotten the camera gear out but was enjoying the visual too much.
The 2 moons in your 1st image were almost above each other at 3:00 am and the Red Spot was prominent.
Did you stack all the video frames or select a best percentage from the video file. Get much better results if you select something like a best 20% after viewing the video stream and finding a best image for the reference frame for AS3 to use.
Fine attempt, keep it going.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I'm not familiar with AS and no expert but in Registax there is a button / counter near the bottom left of the image frame, that lets you scroll through the frames one by one until you find the sharpest frame of the video file and select that as the sample frame. Just above that is another counter that lets you select how many frames for Reg. to stack together.
If the seeing has been really good, then it may be possible to stack 40 or 50% of the best of the file but if the seeing has been average or worse then it is possible to find a smaller % of images that are still reasonably sharp to stack together.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:21 PM
Outcast (Carlton)

Cheers Jeff,

I still have the original video in .Ser format & I have registax... might try some things to see if I can get it better..

Thanks