Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 AM
orions eyes

set me up Doc

I am new to all of this star gazeing and would like a little help with getting setup.I have turned away from asking meade,celestron,televue or anybody that sells equipment questions all they want is my money,they don't seem to have the knowledge to help.I now own 6g of stuff that I can't get figured out.I have the celestron C10-N telescope but can't get it properly aligned.It is always a few degrees off.I have read the instructions a dozen times I have bought a polar alignment scope a flip mirror system luminated eye pieces,ccd imager.I get the mount perfectly level.I have had it go to a few things right off the bat but they don't stay in there very long or at least not long enough.I Have to be skipping a step somewhere.but DUH I just can't figure out where.I realy love the things out there I look at and would love to be able to get photos of them.Any thoughts??
Old 12-05-2005, 07:43 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi there.

Exactly what telescope have you got? Is it on equatorial mount?
Where abouts do you live?

I'm certain that with a bit more information there'll be some people here who will be able to help you or point you in the right direction!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:18 AM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

Hi there:

hang in there dont give up it will all become second nature soon

I have the C8 NGT which I think is the same mount as yours just a smaller optical tube.

To get the GoTo working , you dont even need to be properly polar aligned, and dont dont need polar alignment scope accuracy

It sounds to me that it could be worth checking a few things -sorry if you have already done these things:

1 Have you set tracking to EQ South

2 have you set the Latitude and Longitude correctly.and also date and time -as accurately as possible

3 what power supply are you using-the Celestron AS forum reports that a huge percentage of problems are caused by power supplies

4 Try reversing your DEC cable-for some strange reason this sometimes helps

5 Most importantly register at the Celestron yahoo group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Celestron_AS/

and even if you do nothing else read the FAQ in the files section

and dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions
Old 12-05-2005, 12:46 PM
orions eyes

Yes it is the exact same manual as the c8 with the same mount.Thanks for the links I just joined the dsi group they are helpfull to.I think it might be the because the one thing I haven't bought is a gsp system for it.I live in the usa but my mind is focused on getting to learn the summer hemispheres sky.I don't know my exact the location where the telescope sits.I hope ya'll don't mind me joining being from here and all.Thanks again for the help.I wish I can get down there soon because all the star gazer books I gotten show that the northern skys have little to compare to the souther skys..
Old 12-05-2005, 01:40 PM
rmcpb (Rob)
Compulsive Tinkerer

You are welcome no matter where you come from.

As for your latitude and longtitude have you tried entering your location onto the Heavens Above ( http://www.heavens-above.com/ ) web site?

Keep looking up, no matter where you stand
Old 12-05-2005, 04:12 PM
seeker372011 (Narayan)
6EQUJ5

if you live in the USA, you need to make sure that you have set the tracking to EQ North

and you MUST get the latidude and longitude as accurate as possible

You dont need a GPS system at all ! you can manage perfectly well without it

do read the FAQ at the yahoo group you will find it very helpful
Old 12-05-2005, 11:45 PM
orions eyes

cool that heavens above site is mighty handy.I did much better last night it stayed on jupiter for almost 30 minutes.I even got my first picture of anything.I was so happy.I will go out to the and get the laptop later and show ya,ll my first photo of jupiter.I even got one of the moon but couldn't get it focused real good.I haven't got the flip mirror figured out yet,I can't get the imager to focuus threw it,my 12mm pulsed guide eye piece will focus threw it.Anyone here have any good picures of the large magellanic clouds I think they they have to be the most beautiful objects out there.I like that cumpulsive tinkerer saying that sounds like me no matter how good it works I always think it can work better.I am glad I came across this site Thank you eveybody for letting me join.

Last edited by orions eyes; 13-05-2005 at 02:22 AM.
Old 13-05-2005, 01:27 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

You are very very welcome!

Sounds like you have all the right gear for this hobby.

Where is Bossier? Is it in Rhode Island?
Old 13-05-2005, 02:44 AM
orions eyes

I live in the northwestern corner of Louisiana 32n93w.I has just out there looking at todays sun spot and wanted to try to get a photo of it but the imager gets in on it to close,How can I get it to show the whole thing???I still need to get me one more thing and that would be a good refractor telescope.Most everyone I talk to says get a cassegrain but I think I would be happier with a telescope that I can sit down behind and just look for hours.This big reflector I can't find a good comfortable way to look for long periods at a time.Good day all.....
Old 13-05-2005, 09:55 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

G'day O.E.

There is a viewing chair designed for reflector users. Laurie (RAJAH235) may be able to post a pic of it here for you. It has adjustable height! He made it himself and apparently many have copied it and enjoy the comfort.
Old 13-05-2005, 11:30 PM
RAJAH235
A very 'Senior' member.

Hi Orions eyes, welcome to our hemisphere. Have dug out the pic of my adj.chair for you. L.
It's 36" high & adjusts down to 18".
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (the chair small.jpg)
38.2 KB66 views

Last edited by RAJAH235; 13-05-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 13-05-2005, 11:46 PM
orions eyes

That does look like a comfortable chair.Thanks it even looks pretty simple to build.I was out last night and was just stolling threw the milky way it looks like a silver mine in some places "MAN" what a hobbyHow"s the weather down under?Here in my erea I think there must be a umbrella that keeps us under clear skies our weather channel has said for two days we are going to get rain but thank god for the umbrella .Good day all.
Old 14-05-2005, 01:58 AM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Getting COLD!

Wait until you get a chance to come down here to the Sthn Hemi and see the Milky Way, Saggitarius, LMC, SMC, Globulars etc, etc. Spectacular stuff!!

There was a group from U.S. here a month or so ago doing the outback viewing trip. They loved it. Their report is buried in this forum somewhere.
Old 14-05-2005, 05:49 AM
orions eyes

That is my goal to get down there I have wanted to go to australia since I was a young boy.I keep telling the family that when I get my lawsuit over with that is where I plan on moveing but they all think I am just talking.They'll seeI have seen pictures of the sky there and can't wait to see for myself,especialy the magellanic clouds they have had my attention since I started reading books on astronomy.
Old 14-05-2005, 03:56 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

You will certainly be welcome. Plenty of room down here. This is a BIG country with lots of wide open spaces. (and great sky)