Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 08:22 AM
Crash Nebula

From Andrews -
High Contrast 11 X 70 Binoculars
$149.00 AUD

Sharp, high contrast viewing in a large aperture binocular.

* BAK4 prisms and fully coated optics
* Rubberised body weighs only 1.6kg
* Right ocular diopter adjustment
* Soft nylon case included.

That sounds awesome to me, but thats just me
Does it sound good to every one else?
I'll pick up the LED bulb/Torch somewhere and the planisphere - Is that that thing that comes free with AS&T when you subscribe? How much do big ones usually cost? how much to the bulbs and torches cost?
Crash
Old 13-04-2005, 04:00 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

Hey Crash,

Great choice but you might want to look at the 15x70's instead as they offer more magnification for those DSO's and hence more detail (they are both the same price from memory). Plus the exit pupil is smaller so they are better if you do most of your observing from the suburbs. They can be used braced for short observing stints but you should expect to mount them on a photo tripod for longer sessions. I have one of these and they are the perfect travel scope....

Cheers,
Darren
Old 13-04-2005, 04:11 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

LED (light emitting diode) torches don't need bulbs and the diodes last for ever. The batteries also last many times longer than in torches that use filtered incandescent bulbs. I use a $5 bike light with 3 LEDs and that works very well.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:30 PM
simon
Fresh Blood

crash its a shame you dont live in sydney, i just gave away my old 4.5" refector, it would have got you started(and you wouldnt have dropped it like my friend's daughter did!!!)iv'e just bought a celestron nexstar 76 ,not a brilliant scope for colour but great for the solar system and imo clearer than the big scope at the dickson observatory in canberra, iv'e also seen the orion nebula and the horsehead nebula ,but not in colour but impressive all the same. i chose this scope for "learning the sky " i like the idea of a big dob but imo not much good if you dont know where to point it ,although theres plenty of expierienced astronomers on this forum who im sure would help you, but im enjoying the learning process. the only advice i can give from my own limited expierience is to buy or make a tripod/stand for your binoculars a much better view and easier on the arms!! good luck with your skywatching
Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

Hi Simon,

Nexstar 76 and the horsehead nebula...am I hearing it right? This one has been eluding me even in my Celestron/Vixen C6 and I have tried with a 10" and failed. BTW is this a 76mm chinese f/9 newtonian right? Could you have seen the flame/tanktracks nebula near the belt stars and mistook this for the horsehead????

Anyway...

Darren
Old 10-05-2005, 03:32 PM
simon
Fresh Blood

darren, i possibly could have mistook it ,i get a bright star with a bank of darker matter underneath about 5 degrees left of the top belt star,i must say though i have an excellent view of the orion area from my backyard ,between trees with no lights, the orion nebula is crystal clear with the 4 small stars in the centre, the omega cluster and the jewel box are also very good to the south but the sombrero galaxy in the north eludes me! although only small ive learnt so many locations with this scope im really quite keen now and go out most clear nights,btw do you know the ngc or m number for the flame/ tanktracks nebula?
simon
Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
atalas

Hello Simon, NGC 2024 the Flame neb,goto scopes are not perfect mate but generally get you in the eyepeice. Also Simon, Ive seen the horsehead neb in an 18in with H beta filter from a dark site and only just, very difficult object.

Louie

Last edited by atalas; 10-05-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:56 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

crash, before you get the planisphere... or maybe at the same time... you should download the free sky atlas from cloudynights. theres a thread on it in the equipment forum i think it is
Old 10-05-2005, 05:05 PM
silvinator
Lady Post-a-holic

Hello crash and welcome to the family
Binoculars are a great way in starting out with astronomy and learning the night sky. I own a pair of 7x50 binoculars that I bought used for $15 at the local markets and it serves its purpose extremely well. I do notice a bit of false colour (namely blue-violet) surrounding the moon and the brightest stars though as these binos are not optically perfect. But they are so wonderful to whip out at a moments notice and just scan the skies without the trouble of setting up a mammoth scope. However, even with these smaller sized binoculars, I find that my arms get tired of holding up the binos for too long so that is something else to think about when you look at higher magnification binos. A tripod would be a must, or at least something to lean on would help steady the binos. It can get really shaky at times.
From reading this whole thread, I'm sure you've noticed that astronomy is a very expensive hobby. You don't always need the most expensive equipment in order to enjoy the night sky, just buy what you need and start enjoying the stars as soon as you can.
With regards to the red LED/torch, I just wrap a bit of red cellophane over my dad's mag light or my small torch and tie a rubber band around it and voila! Instant red light torch with minimum cost.
Also, something to think about when you do eventually purchase your scope: I own an astronomik UHC filter which I bought because I live in a very light polluted area. I find that I haven't really been using it very much. But I will have to observe with it a bit more and observe more objects with it to see the benefits of it.
Oh and yes the planisphere is what comes free with the AS&T subscription from what I remember.
Good luck with your purchase mate and clear skies to you! I hope you can start enjoying the night sky soon
Old 11-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Crash Nebula

well evereyone wil be happy to know i have my binos. I have bushmaster 10x30~50 binos. thye are good, but they do have a little bit of red and blue around the edge of the moon when i look at it.
unfortunatley, its no scope for about a year as i am savung to pay off a computer i bought off my brother, and i am going to germany next year!!! (hopefully) on the exchange.
cheers
crash
Old 13-05-2005, 04:13 PM
dhumpie
Planetary neb & glob nut

Hey Crash,

Do get it mounted on a tripod if you can (there should be a plastic screw-on cap at the center where the hinges meet. You will need a tripod adaptor to mount your binocs on a tripod). You will be amazed at how deep you can go this way (and I think the views you will be getting will be much better than any plastic 60mm departmental store refractor!!!!!). With my 15x70's mounted, I can see the disc of Jupiter (nope can't see the equatorial bands) and its 4 moons and Saturn's rings (yup I can see them as rings away from the planet disc). Since yours can go up to 30x, I expect that you will see them better than in my 15x binocs. And you will see a lot more in DSO's as well. Phil (Harrington) once said that with using binocs and seeing with two eyes, there will be a brightness increment of up to 40% on dim diffused objects (I have tested this and it is true....for instance I find viewing sprawling diffuse spirals like M83 in Hydra and M33 in Triangulum much easier from my mag 5.5 suburban site than in my 80ST and 6"f/5 scoppe!!!!!!) . That means your tripod mounted binocs will perform like a 70mm refractor!!!!!

Go for it! the universe is your backyard!!!!!

Darren