Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-03-2005, 09:14 AM
josh (Luke)
luke

Thumbs up my new dob

Thanks all for the good advice. Got my 10 " Dob from Bintel a few days ago. A good deal and very fast delivery. Had beautiful views of Saturn and Jupiter {all four moons were very bright and the spot was easy to see}on the first night and also the moon was looken very clear.
Whats the go with all the clouds and rain. We havent had weather like this for months! I got one good night when it arrived then it rolled on in for four days.Bugger. I guess the best way to break a dry spell is for someone to buy a new scope.

Clearing up now, when that full moon takes off it should be fun.
Old 27-03-2005, 09:24 AM
toetoe (Peter)
Always Trying

This is the time when all good things come to those who wait.
Old 27-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Congrats on the new arrival. The cloudy nights etc are typical for new scope buyers, I have also learned if you buy anything for a telescope the clouds will roll in.

I think the formula is, Anything you buy Astronomical wise is directly proportional to the amount of cloud cover for the next month. So no buying those huge light buckets there will be no end to the cloudy days/night.

Old 27-03-2005, 11:02 AM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

its called "the astronomers curse".

on ya fer getting the dob. you should get years of pleasure from it
Old 27-03-2005, 01:08 PM
thomo
Meh

Congrats on the purchase Josh. I also got a 10" Dob (Premium Edition) from Bintel. Mine arrived on Thursday arvo after being shipped that morning.

The scope came with fully multicoated 9mm and 15mm GSO Plossls, a 2" 32mm GSO Super Plossl, inbuilt cooling fan, crayford focuser and really easy to understand instructions. It was also supposed to include a moon filter but it was nowhere to be seen - I already had one in a Celestron filter pack I bought a few months ago so I wasn't too fussed about that.

Unfortunately one mate after the other dropped in on Thursday evening and the beer, bourbon, vodka, etc flowed freely until about 10am the next morning.

I have then worked the last 2 nights and again tonight, so apart from a quick 20 minutes of moon polluted viewing before the mates came over on Thursday I haven't been able to use it. Hopefully tomorrow night is clear (and I am not too plastered after going to watch the Mighty Rabbitohs destroy the Canberra Raiders) so that I can get in some decent viewing time.
Old 29-03-2005, 08:51 PM
frogman (Anthony Lord)
Host to the Stars

Good to see im not the only one.
Took me nearly 2 weeks of clouds and rain before i got two hours of clear sky. Then it rained again.

A week later it cleared up again.

When you get the next day off it seems to be clear skies till it starts to get dark then it clouds over again.

I think the weather is being co-ordinated by our little green alien friends to strike when anyone pulls out an object that could spot them turning cows inside out ! sorry got a little carried away !