Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18-03-2014, 11:05 AM
taninster (Amnon)

Smile Looking for a Telescope in Sydney (Manly)

Hi,

I have a group of science-loving kids and I'd LOVE to show them Mars with a proper telescope.

I've done a full-moon event a couple of months ago and it was spectacular - lots of clever kids (mostly aged 7-9) with their families, great questions and answers and lots of approachable science which I'm happy to do myself. However unfortunately my telescope is very basic and is not good enough to look at Mars.

I was hoping to find someone with a reasonable telescope in the Manly area that will be willing to join such an event and bring his telescope for an evening. It shouldn't be more than an hour or so with some nice local science-loving families. I'm happy to pay if I must although this is mainly just for the love of science and so my budget isn't huge. Happy to give any further information.

PLEASE PEOPLE! SCIENCE NEEDS YOUR HELP! :-)
Old 20-03-2014, 06:41 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Come on somebody from Sydney - cannot our forum offer something for this member? Or do I have to drive 3 hours from the country?
Old 20-03-2014, 08:18 PM
linstar88 (Linda and Guy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taninster View Post
Hi,

I have a group of science-loving kids and I'd LOVE to show them Mars with a proper telescope.

I've done a full-moon event a couple of months ago and it was spectacular - lots of clever kids (mostly aged 7-9) with their families, great questions and answers and lots of approachable science which I'm happy to do myself. However unfortunately my telescope is very basic and is not good enough to look at Mars.

I was hoping to find someone with a reasonable telescope in the Manly area that will be willing to join such an event and bring his telescope for an evening. It shouldn't be more than an hour or so with some nice local science-loving families. I'm happy to pay if I must although this is mainly just for the love of science and so my budget isn't huge. Happy to give any further information.

PLEASE PEOPLE! SCIENCE NEEDS YOUR HELP! :-)
Hi Amnon,
We have an 80mm skywatcher on alt-azimuth mount.
10" Dobsonian & 12" Dobsonian.
With some half decent eyepieces and accessories for better chances at nice views.
You could use all 3 scopes at once or pick which one(s) you prefer. There should be enough eyepieces and accessories to operate all at once to go around.

Note; Mars is not an extremely eventful object, there is not a great amount of detail can be seen in any of these scopes, especially under light polluted skies in or near the city. Though given a clear enough night these scopes will put on quite a good show. The 2 Dobsonians will give the best views and are the easiest to use.

We are situated at Beacon Hill. Let us know if these scopes are of any use to you. Where and when you wish to set them up. No fees or charges are necessary, we are happy offering the use of equipment for free

Clear skies,
Guy and Linda
Old 20-03-2014, 08:22 PM
Kunama

To Linda & Guy,

The kids are sure to love your generous offer !!!
Old 20-03-2014, 08:32 PM
FlashDrive (Poppy)
Senior Citizen

Very Generous Offer.....
Good on you ...Linda & Guy.

Old 24-03-2014, 11:41 AM
taninster (Amnon)

Dear Linda & Guy!

Thank you SO MUCH for this offer! It's great and warms my heart! :-)

I take your point that Mars probably isn't the best choice. Will Jupiter or Saturn be a better one? I think Saturn with it's beautiful rings could be majestic for kids to look at. Do you think the details will be sufficient for young kids (7-9)?

I would very much appreciate your kind offer and grab a group of kids at a convenient time and place for you guys. Will it be possible to discuss the details over email / phone? I'll send you a private message with my details.

Thanks again in the name of Science!
:-)

Amnon
Old 24-03-2014, 01:39 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Saturn is pretty, but it might come up a bit too late for kids at the moment. Jupiter is also beautiful and comes up bit earlier (although still not very early). Until what time are the kids allowed to stay up?
Old 24-03-2014, 02:17 PM
taninster (Amnon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
Saturn is pretty, but it might come up a bit too late for kids at the moment. Jupiter is also beautiful and comes up bit earlier (although still not very early). Until what time are the kids allowed to stay up?
Thanks,
These are quite young kids ages 6-9. I'm hoping to wrap this up no later than 9:00 - 9:30pm. Is that too early?
Old 24-03-2014, 02:44 PM
niko

what about some deep space objects that will be easy to see?

Jewel Box, Orion, Eta Carinae....? Maybe even resolving stras as doubles ie. Crux?
Old 24-03-2014, 02:56 PM
taninster (Amnon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
what about some deep space objects that will be easy to see?

Jewel Box, Orion, Eta Carinae....? Maybe even resolving stras as doubles ie. Crux?
They could be cool but:
1. I'm not sure the kids will relate to them as much as they would to familiar planets.

2. I'm not sure whether these could be viewed with sufficient magnification to clearly see it properly.

I want the kids to see something that will blow them away and make them in love with astronomy. Eta Carinae with good resolution is great. Jewel box with low magnification will just look like some dots in the sky...
Old 24-03-2014, 04:10 PM
niko

all good points but I think Mars falls into the same category

Saturn would be the real crowd favourite because no-one forgets seeing the rings for the first time but I suspect it'll be a good position too late for the littlies.

The moon really is the id3eal candidate for kids of that age I reckon but it sounds like you've done that.
Old 24-03-2014, 04:33 PM
taninster (Amnon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
Saturn would be the real crowd favourite because no-one forgets seeing the rings for the first time but I suspect it'll be a good position too late for the littlies.
What time will Saturn be in a good position? If I wait some months, what time of year is best for this?

This is exactly it - I'm looking for the WOW factor! I want the kids to get an experience they will never forget!
I only brought up Mars because it's close to us and I have lots to say about it, but I'm open to any other ideas though - is there a really clear and beautiful galaxy we can watch or maybe something else that is interesting?
I did do a session with the moon and it's cool but I'm looking for something new and exciting for them.

Thanks.
Old 24-03-2014, 04:48 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taninster View Post
What time will Saturn be in a good position? If I wait some months, what time of year is best for this?
Best time to view it for the kids is around May-June because it will already be high in the sky around 8pm.

Right now you wont really get a decent view of Saturn till past midnight.

Id offer my services too but im scopeless at the moment.

Last edited by killswitch; 24-03-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 24-03-2014, 07:19 PM
deanm (Dean)

Try this

Taninster - you mentioned that you had done a 'full moon' session.

It's a popular misconception that astronomers like the full moon: we don't - it washes out other things in the sky & is poor viewing itself because of lack of contrast.

A 1/2 or less moon is *much* better viewing - lunar surface shadows are long & contrast (particularly on the terminator) much higher.

In the absence of Saturnian bling & the like, it could be good to show your students how light incidence changes viewing.

And Jupiter & moons are fab, anytime!

Coming up: 1st total lunar eclipse in 2.5 years visible from Oz April 15:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...01#post1067601

Dean
Old 25-03-2014, 08:14 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Yes, the total lunar eclipse should be very exciting for the kids. Maybe the total lunar eclipse now and Saturn in a couple of months?
Old 25-03-2014, 02:28 PM
acarleton (Aidan)

No galaxy will look that great through a telescope and will not wow the kids. the objects that stick in my mind as being awe inspiring are (in order)
  • Saturn
  • the moon
  • Jupiter
  • the crescent on venus, you can use this to tell them how we know that the earth orbits the sun
  • omega centauri
  • the orion nebula

i would suggest that you schedule it for late April or May, that way Saturn will be up a littler earlier and you can show them everything listed above apart from Venus.

Let me know if you are short on scopes, i have a 10" newtonian which does a nice job. Manly is a bit of a trek but i would be happy to help, it is great to let kids (and the big 40 something kids) see these objects for the first time.