Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-05-2023, 02:39 PM
Todo43 (Lachlan)

10 Hours of Data, Very Little to see?

Hi all,

I'm sure this all comes down to light pollution but I thought it would be worth asking. I have 10 hours 50mins of data on NGC5367 which is a reflection nebula alongside a Cometary Globule. These were taken over 2 nights, and have 130x5mins exposures. I was also imaging at around Bortle 4/5.

When I put them into Pixinsights WPBB, I selected to drizzle (only 1x) because I have heard that it creates a better SNR. It all went well and produced images. When I was processing the drizzled image, I was getting very little of the nebula, and a lot of the noise. I was hoping that 10 nearly 11 hours would at least begin to drown out a lot of the noise that I often experience.

Attached is the best image that I could create out of the drizzled data, but I'm really not happy with it considering all the images on Astrobin about this nebula.

When I went back and got the linear images of the drizzled and undrizzled images, it sort of appeared that the undrizzeled image had less noise in it that the other. Why is this the case?
I would also love it if someone could have a quick glance at the images and have a little process of them as I just can't get anything that I am happy with.

Here is a link to a Wetransfer for you to download both the drizzled and undrizzled images.

Many thanks in advance

Lachlan

Oh and gear I used
Sharpstar 90mm triplet
ZWO ASI533MC Pro
130x5mins
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 5367 V3.jpg)
179.1 KB89 views