Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Astrophotography and Imaging Equipment and Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28-09-2023, 08:19 AM
BeardFace (Nial)

Flats applying wrong in PixInsight WBPP

Hey all, I've run into a bit of a weird issue here. I've taken a bunch of photos of the Helix nebula over 3 nights, done my flats/dark flats at the end (I know I should be doing it each night but the observatory flat panel is on the fritz), used some darks from my dark library, and processed with wbpp.

However it looks like the flat is getting applied twice, as well as being flipped? I've attached an image of the master light vs the master flat. It looks like the one big dust mote is getting applied twice and flipped, creating a weird artefact with the dust mote. In addition the general noise of the image is WAY off what I had with the Cats Paw (also image attached). I haven't changed any settings in the WBPP since capturing them both.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (helix_flat_problem.jpg)
110.4 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (helixvs_cats_paw.jpg)
194.3 KB23 views
Old 28-09-2023, 11:09 AM
BeardFace (Nial)

So, on further investigation it seems like having the double dust motes on the master light would make sense. As the image would be upside on the camera but the dust mote in the same spot relative to the sensor. I'm just not sure why it looks so weird...