Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2012, 08:36 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Well first light is happening. Its a pretty average night, very windy but I'm having fun.

I've set up the argo, I wasn't convinced I did a good alt reference, but I did centre the two star alignment well. And everything I've searched for since has been well within an 8mm EP; usually about 1/3 off centre. And this is all over the sky, I'm stoked! The balance is working well and overall its a pleasure to use!

One happy camper
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM
gary

Great to hear first light is happening and you are finding stuff.

Congratulations!

With cloud and rain forecast for most of the country tomorrow, it is undoubtedly testimony
to what a good mount it is. Enjoy it tonight whilst you can!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

I love it Dave !
I have a Circa 10yo dob and the chipboard base is looking pretty shabby !
I was going to just trace out the old base once disassembled and do in Ply.
However your setup has inspired me to go that one step further for a very tidy customized finish. What was the all up cost ?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Larryp (Laurie)

That is one nice-looking dob!
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Thanks Gary, your Argo has helped me find objects I never could from my back yard. The skyglow tonight was really bad; I managed to find the Saturn nebula for the first time, I couldn't see it in the 25mm EP, but once I had the 8mm EP in, there it was, just off centre! I think I tested the pointing quite well, at all points of the compass and near zenith all objects were in the 8mm EP. It's performing great, I couldn't be happier with it. And I honestly just plonked it down, the base was certainly not 100% level, and did the basic alignment.

Thanks Ian, I'm glad you like it! I'd certainly recommend designing your own base to suit your needs. Its a very satisfying process. Not to mention it looks better, is lighter, and functions SO much better. I think all up the cost was about $300 total materials. But this includes more than enough ply to make another base, and enough ebony star and teflon for another 4 bases! So I would guess the actual "used materials" to cost about $150 or less. Obviously this doesn't include the Argo. This was using top quality marine ply, a base could be made much cheaper and still function better than a cheap factory base.

I also found some sailkote dry teflon lubricant at my local marine shop. This stuff is amazing and has made the azimuth motion incredibly smooth, highly recommended!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:18 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Marine grade ply also isn't necessary to be used. Common everyday exterior grade pine plywood will perform just as well. All that hardwood ply's do is resist dings a lot more than the softer pine. Mechanically they offer nothing more than extra weight. Not my thoughts - this is stated in the Kreige book "The dobsonian telescope". Better water resistance with hardwood or marine grade ply - nope! That's what the varnish is for.

The benefit from pine ply is reduced weight and cost. Some people may not like the look of it or its tendancy to yellow with age, but I make the most of the knots to make a highlight of the timber when I make dobbie mounts.

Ebony star is expensive stuff - though Dave found the bargain of the century (I hate you, Dave ). But there are also cheaper alternative laminates that can be used. You'll find these noted in post No. 14 of the ATM non-astro sources sticky, along with many other material and source alternatives.

Careful consideration of materials and you'll be able to make a dobbie mount for half what Dave quoted for his, and work equally well.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 AM
lacad01 (Adam)
The sky is Messier here!

Nice work Dave, very elegant looking base
Old 11-10-2012, 02:16 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Thanks Adam

Yep Alex you're right. Maine ply isn't nessecary, I only chose it as it was the nicest quality and my particular sample wasn't much heavier than pine ply. Also the $150 I quote includes buying sand paper, exterior varnish, glue and stainless steel screws. I reckon a good 10" base could be made for closer to $50 if you wanted.

But I never do things by halves
Old 11-10-2012, 08:07 PM
AG Hybrid (Adrian)
A Friendly Nyctophiliac

A very pretty base indeed. Clearly too good for the blue tube sitting on it. Next project is converting that 10" tube into a fine truss structure.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Hybrid View Post
A very pretty base indeed. Clearly too good for the blue tube sitting on it. Next project is converting that 10" tube into a fine truss structure.

Yep, the scope is next on the list. Not going truss just yet, I think it will just get powder coated and I'll be installing my FT focuser. No idea what colour yet, open to ideas! I quite like the maroon or red.... but the electric green is a great juxtaposition to the nice antique wood look
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (blue.jpg)
164.9 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (green.jpg)
167.0 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (maroon.jpg)
162.3 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (orange.jpg)
168.8 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (red.jpg)
164.8 KB31 views
Old 12-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Looks great. You and Mental have got me thinking about upgrading my dob's factory mount.

If it is going to be a close call between maroon and green why not go for the paint that changes colour depending on what angle it is veiwed from (with a metallic fleck).

I like the orange against the dark wood finish.

Any chance of a photo with the Argo Navis in place?

Last edited by Shark Bait; 12-10-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Thanks Stu,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Any chance of a photo with the Argo Navis in place?
Here you go, This is a temp install, I've just strapped it to the alt disc, but I plan to mount a removable ball joint to the disc to allow articulation of the argo mount. I was using it set up like this the other night and it works well. Because its on the alt disc it moves with the scope and always points towards the EP.

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (argo.jpg)
138.6 KB63 views
Old 13-10-2012, 01:51 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewaldo View Post
Thanks Gary, your Argo has helped me find objects I never could from my back yard. The skyglow tonight was really bad; I managed to find the Saturn nebula for the first time, I couldn't see it in the 25mm EP, but once I had the 8mm EP in, there it was, just off centre! I think I tested the pointing quite well, at all points of the compass and near zenith all objects were in the 8mm EP. It's performing great, I couldn't be happier with it. And I honestly just plonked it down, the base was certainly not 100% level, and did the basic alignment.

Thanks Ian, I'm glad you like it! I'd certainly recommend designing your own base to suit your needs. Its a very satisfying process. Not to mention it looks better, is lighter, and functions SO much better. I think all up the cost was about $300 total materials. But this includes more than enough ply to make another base, and enough ebony star and teflon for another 4 bases! So I would guess the actual "used materials" to cost about $150 or less. Obviously this doesn't include the Argo. This was using top quality marine ply, a base could be made much cheaper and still function better than a cheap factory base.

I also found some sailkote dry teflon lubricant at my local marine shop. This stuff is amazing and has made the azimuth motion incredibly smooth, highly recommended!

Great advise Dave
I am amazed my base has lasted so long, it has been in planes, carted along rough bush tracks, been peeed on by camp dogs in aboriginal communities & endured muliple dewy nights.
I imagine a base like yours would last a lifetime.
Sounds like a project to do with a few other Dob owners who need a new base. Might make a good club project
Cheers
Ian
Old 14-10-2012, 01:26 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Thanks Ian, I hope my base will last a long time, I'm sure it'll need a new coast of varnish every few years.

Totally agree that dob base making would be a great group project and would be a much more efficient process. With a few templates, quality bases could be knocked out quickly. Fun times...

Dave.
Old 16-10-2012, 12:06 AM
gary

Hi Dave,

I hope you don't mind, but below are a couple of artistic treatments of your scope.
Not as beautiful as the real thing though!

Best Regards

Gary Kopff
Wildcard Innovations Pty Ltd
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (sketch1.jpg)
187.9 KB49 views
Click for full-size image (sketch2.jpg)
157.0 KB45 views
Old 16-10-2012, 11:01 AM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Wow Gary, I never thought my base would be immortalised in art! Thanks Gary, these are very cool! Can you send me hi-res to my email?
Old 16-10-2012, 12:40 PM
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewaldo View Post
Wow Gary, I never thought my base would be immortalised in art! Thanks Gary, these are very cool! Can you send me hi-res to my email?
Thanks David,

Emailed.

Best regards

Gary
Old 17-10-2012, 12:22 PM
gary

Hi Dave,

... and just for fun, here is a raytraced artistic interpretation. OTA rendered in a metallic maroon.

Best regards

Gary Kopff
Wildcard Innovations Pty Ltd
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (gravel_pit.jpg)
198.0 KB51 views
Old 17-10-2012, 05:56 PM
davewaldo
Tasmania

Wow Gary you're going all out! Looks very cool, at this stage I am leaning towards a metallic maroon for the tube.

So here is my final set of pics, these show the little mount I've put together for the Argo Navis. Its based on a tiny Slik tripod ball head that I've mounted to a homemade dovetail for a finder bracket. I've mounted the finder bracket to one of the tube rings as I'm still very reluctant to drill or screw anything into the beautiful wood. To attach the quick release plate to the argo holder I made a ply mounting plate stained to match the base.

Total cost: $29 (I had all parts except the ball head). The ball head is 100% aluminium, and I think its a bargain at $29.

This mount allows me to easily point the argo where it is best viewed, quickly and easily clamping it into place. Once clamped the unit is VERY solid. But it also allows me to both quickly release the argo for storage and leave the ball head behind; or remove the ball head too just leaving a finder bracket. The finder bracket also aims just between the focuser and existing finder so I can mount my laser or other finder on there if desired.

All up I'm happy, I don't really like the pole type argo mounts for small dobs, they just seem to take up much more space than needed and interrupt the smooth lines of the base. This mount allows me to easily hide it all away if I'm not using the argo, and its only one small piece to store.

Here are some dodgy iphone pics

Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (AG01.jpg)
142.6 KB48 views
Click for full-size image (AG02.jpg)
153.5 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (AG03.jpg)
105.1 KB64 views
Click for full-size image (AG04.jpg)
162.3 KB56 views
Click for full-size image (AG05.jpg)