Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-11-2017, 10:21 PM
luka
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJAH235 View Post
The one small downside because it uses a capacitor & not a battery, is that you have to connect it to yourPC to view & edit etc., the videos. Not a big deal though.
Note that capacitor-powered dash cams are preferable to battery-powered dash cams in Australia. Li-Ion batteries don't last long in the summer heat.
Old 26-11-2017, 02:24 PM
csb (Craig)

Yep, that's what I've also read on the net, Luka.

Marc, are the 3 cameras for 3 cars?

Did you mount cameras so that recording light is in view for the driver? This is my big complaint with plugin dashcams. So easy to dislodge the cigarette lighter/usb connection and so camera does not turn on. Other reasons recording may not happen are due to card or camera glitches.

Having the recording light in view allows the driver to monitor camera operation.

Recording fail glitches can usually be fixed with camera restart or reformat card. If record fail happens again (and not due to heat) then consider replacing memory card. As said before, cards lose stability after many over-write cycles.

Possibly the glitches are due to most cameras are not high-end devices. But many cameras priced from $100 should be decent enough. The Mini 0805, which Marc bought, performs well enough - my mini has glitches twice since installed over 12 months ago. It has never suffered from heat in Adelaide.

Lastly, there are many sites that have dash cam reviews, including aussie sites.
Old 26-11-2017, 06:49 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
Yep, that's what I've also read on the net, Luka.

Marc, are the 3 cameras for 3 cars?

Did you mount cameras so that recording light is in view for the driver? This is my big complaint with plugin dashcams. So easy to dislodge the cigarette lighter/usb connection and so camera does not turn on. Other reasons recording may not happen are due to card or camera glitches.

Having the recording light in view allows the driver to monitor camera operation.
Yes 3 cars.

Yes I can see the recording led flashing and the back screen.

Tucked in all cables away nicely. Better than my astro cable management anyway.
Old 26-11-2017, 09:53 PM
csb (Craig)

Nice n clear videos, Marc. Good promo for that camera.

The bonnet is in view in first section of the video but not the rest. Having the bonnet in view helps for measuring distances if needed (mainly for major crash investigation). But also a matter of personal preference.
Old 27-11-2017, 06:54 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb View Post
Nice n clear videos, Marc. Good promo for that camera.

The bonnet is in view in first section of the video but not the rest. Having the bonnet in view helps for measuring distances if needed (mainly for major crash investigation). But also a matter of personal preference.
Yes I've rectified this after a few runs to see the tip of the bonnet. All good now.
Old 29-11-2017, 10:45 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Well... it didn't take long.

Old 29-11-2017, 02:21 PM
csb (Craig)

It seemed like the dark car was about to stop but then proceeded into the roundabout. Is that what it seemed like to you at the time Marc?

Maybe had a slight brain twist? Happens to the best of us.

Sensible driving on your part. Be alert for other drivers making a mistake or misjudging.

I had my dashcam for about 2 years and got hit by a tow truck who denied responsibility even after he and his company were given the video. Of course, you can't argue very long against clear evidence.
Old 29-11-2017, 04:19 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Elderly chinese lady on her red Ps (there might be a reason for it ). She didn't stop or slow down. She actually didn't see me at all until I pressed the horn. Got done years ago in the exact same situation on the left in a small round about so as you say you learn and the "what if" is always in the back of your mind.