Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27-09-2014, 06:21 AM
Chippy3476 (Danial)

binocular objects

Hi all,
I was out observing with my 10*50 binoculars the other night and managed to see a few clusters and what im pretty sure was the lagoon nebula or trifid nebula, im not sure but they appeared as very faint smudges and my star gazing app told me that this is exactly where they were located. Anyway my question is does anyone know what other objects would be observable with these binoculars??
Thanks
Dan
Old 27-09-2014, 09:35 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Danial,

Binos allow for something that a scope doesn't - give objects context within the patch of sky they sit in.

Another is they can show things that can be invisible to a scope, either because the object is too big, or the the extended object is too faint for a scope! Yes, a 10X50 set of binos can actually show things an 8", 10", even a 17.5" scope struggle with.

if you understand that binos are a set of rich field scopes (RFT's is an astro term for scopes with a focal ratio faster than f/5), then you can exploit this to concentrate the patch of light of an extended object to a smaller spot there by making it visible when in a larger aperture scope it just won't.

Two examples are the Rosette nebula & the open cluster M7.

The Rosette's surrounds a bright cluster. It forms a huge ring around it. The nebula's aggregate magnitude is bright, but because of its size it is actually very dim (the listed 'magnitude' of an object is given by the aggregate of all of its light from its whole surface area, so a 'bright' object can actually appear dim as its light is dispersed over a large area). Most scopes actually won't see it without conditions being exceptional & the use of filters. It can be a real task in my 17.5" at a dark site. But binos will show it without breaking a sweat.

The cluster M7 is an easy naked eye object. It is enormous, larger than the full Moon. Yes a scope can fit the whole thing in its FOV. But that's all. What you miss out on is the surrounding mottled glow of the Milky Way & the fabulous complex of dark nebulae around and criss crossing it. This is something ONLY binos can show.

So don't think that binos are just for picking out individual objects. They are for a whole lot more. And this time of the year with the heart of the Milky Way over head is a great time to scan the sky for the big picture. When do pick out an individual object, spend time looking around it. You will find a whole lot more.

When you looked at M8 & M20, did you spot M21 next to M20? Or glimpse the intense star cloud between M8 & M20? Or see the very opaque finger-like dark nebula reaching out to touch M8? Or how much the background glow of the Milky Way varies here? It is a very busy place & all ONLY visible in binos.

Please don't see this as a brow bash. It is just to open your eyes to the immense power of binos,

Last edited by mental4astro; 27-09-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 27-09-2014, 09:56 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Now, objects you might like to chase down:

* I've mentioned the heart of the Milky Way which is centered around the Cloud of Sagittarius. This is the densest star cloud in the whole sky, and the core of the Milky Way lies behind it 30,000 light years away. We don't get to see the core as one of the Milky Way's arms cuts in between us and the core! Look in and around the Cloud. There are many DSO's within it and around it, including M8 & M20.

* Within Scorpio is the Table of Scorpio. This is the area around the base of its 'tail'. There are some five open clusters all jammed in, some small and intense, others big loose and made up of dimmer stars. There is also a huge complex of bright and dark nebulosity. This is one of my favourite parts of the sky.

* Swing back to Sagittarius and you will spot several globular clusters, including the giant M22. Spotting the many, many GC's here will keep you busy for some time. They can be spotted because they remain as fuzzy dots, not coming to point focus like stars. With binos you'll be able to spot at least 10 GC's in Sagittarius.

* Just outside Sagittarius there is M16 & M17, the Swan & Eagle nebulae. While small, they are bright and stand out like the proverbial doggie's from the surrounding Milky Way.

* The Magellanic Clouds. Binos are perfect tools for these. There are literally thousands of DSOs within each of these dwarf galaxies. Binos will concentrate the light of these two galaxies, giving a fantastic view. Right next to the SMC is the giant globular cluster 47Tuc, and another smaller 'normal' GC, NGC 362. And within the LMC is the colossus Tarantula Nebula.

You can also just spend some time SLOWLY scanning the length of the Milky Way. You'll see fantastic details. One of my favourite things here is spotting the very opaque finger like dark nebulae that riddle the whole Milky Way.

I'm sure other people will add their own special bino objects.

Mental,
Old 27-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Renato1 (Renato)

An old book "Astronomy With Binoculars" by James Muirden kept me quite happy for years chasing down all the relatively straightforward objects he had listed in the small maps at the back of the book.

Crossen's Binocular Astronomy book claims that with 10X50s at a dark site, one can spot around 50 galaxies (though I've never tried the exercise). It contains Bright Star Atlas in the back, many of the objects of which are visible in binoculars.

One easy object to spot at the moment is the Andromeda galaxy. Galaxy NGC 253 in Sculptor I've often seen with 10X50s, but is a bit tricky to locate.

Regards,
Renato
Old 27-09-2014, 12:47 PM
Robh (Rob)

Hi Dan,

There are 2 dozen globular clusters brighter than visual magnitude 7.
Most of them (but not all) are observable at this time of year.

In order of decreasing brightness:
Omega Centauri (Cen), 47 Tuc (Tuc), M22 (Sgr), NGC 6752 (Pav), M4 (Sco), M5 (Ser), NGC 6397 (Ara), M13 (Her), M3 (CVn), M15 (Peg), NGC 2808 (Car), NGC 6541 (CrA), M55 (Sgr), NGC 362 (Tuc), M92 (Her), M62 (Oph), M2 (Aqr), M10 (Oph), M12 (Oph), NGC 6388 (Sco), NGC 3201 (Vel), M19 (Oph), M28 (Sgr), NGC 4833 (Mus).

Regards, Rob
Old 28-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Chippy3476 (Danial)

Thanks alot everyone, this is great info, i went out again tonight and had a real blast! I cant think of anything better than sitting back in my recliner and scanning the sky with my binoculars, I love my telescopes but there I juSt something about binoculars that I really enjoy, maybe its the relaxing on the recliner, no setup time and ease of use or maybe that I have seen way more in these binoculars than I have with my scopes! I dont know but I sure will be out every clear night possible observing!
Thanks again for all the info, i now have a list of objects to seek out
Dan
Old 29-09-2014, 07:46 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I prefer using my 80 mm binnos to my 12 inch dob
Cruise the Milky Way but take your time as it is easy to rush past stuff.
Make it a discovery tour.
I uses to love finding something and later working out what it was..sort of backwards .
Folk underestimate the joy of binnos and want a bigger and bigger scope..enjoy the binno experience
Old 30-09-2014, 05:04 AM
Chippy3476 (Danial)

Thanks mate, do you have a tripod for your 80mm binoculars or hold by hand? I want a bigger pair than my 50mm but dont want a tripod setup as I like the idea of sitting back in my recliner,
Thanks
Dan
Old 30-09-2014, 08:54 AM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

I hand hold my 20x80s and lie on a lounge.
With 50mm binos you should be able to see objects brighter than magnitude 9 or 10.
Old 30-09-2014, 10:04 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy3476 View Post
Thanks mate, do you have a tripod for your 80mm binoculars or hold by hand? I want a bigger pair than my 50mm but dont want a tripod setup as I like the idea of sitting back in my recliner,
Thanks
Dan
I use a tripod on some occasions but mostly without...they are heavy so I find some way of support. I throw down a gym mat and lay on my back mostly
Old 30-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Chippy3476 (Danial)

What would be the best pair of 80mm binoculars? As in zoom power? will not using a tripod at all. Thanks for all your replies so far.
Dan
Old 30-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Chippy3476 (Danial)

I have seen some 20 by 80 and 30 by 80 binoculars I am going to get a pair but would like some advice on which pair, im thinking the 30 might be too shaky to hand hold??
Thanks
Dan
Old 30-09-2014, 06:35 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I can,t give an answer but I paid only 200 for mine from andrews communications many years ago. And they are the only 80 mm binnos I have looked thru ..no experienceto offer real help.
Don't be in a rush 50mm are great
Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hey buddy,

I've had a couple of pairs of those big beasties, and I can say that almost certainly any binos that size will be too heavy to hold without shaking, and also too heavy fullstop for it to be enjoyable for more than a few seconds at a time.

Don't get me wrong, I like big bins, but get a stand with an easily adjustable height to put them on whilst viewing.

That way you can take your time viewing, which is what it's all about really hey?

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy3476 View Post
I have seen some 20 by 80 and 30 by 80 binoculars I am going to get a pair but would like some advice on which pair, im thinking the 30 might be too shaky to hand hold??
Thanks
Dan
Old 01-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Chippy3476 (Danial)

Thanks mate, I have decided to go with a pair of 15*70. Whats your thoughts on them?
Thanks again
Dan
Old 01-10-2014, 04:25 PM
killswitch (Edison)

10x magnification is about my limit for comfortable handheld viewing and i have fairly steady hands. Anything higher and a proper bino mount, tripod mount or recliner chair is needed.

Im happy with my cheapo 15x70's. While the optics are great value for money, they dont seem to hold the initial collimation very well.

I eventually saw double stars on mine. I learnt how to collimate them (2 screws) and i havent had an issue since.