Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 AM
gwmbox (Greg)
If you don't ask....

Idiots guide to setting up a telescope :)

Hi all, first post so be nice

I am also VERY new to astronomy and would like to learn more and then teach my young boy to use it as well as he has a fascination with the stars and planets.

I have a relatively new telescope which is a SkyWatcher EQ1 Refracter which I'd like to set-up but need help to know how exactly to set it up, balance it and then use it as best it can be used.

The telescope also comes with a couple of lenses;
Super 25 wide angle Long Eye Relief
Super 10mm
Barlow Lens

What does each lens do?

Plus it has a small mechanical box which has Simple Type EQ1 Precision DC Motor Drive.

How this works I have no idea (yet), help me if you can.

I have the original manual and while it tries to help me work it out it is a little hard to know if I have actually set it up correctly or not... it looks like it is but is it, how can I tell?

I really have no idea of how to balance etc so I am asking is there an idiots guide to setting up the telescope.

Cheers for any and all of your help, advice and suggestions.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmbox View Post
Hi all, first post so be nice

I am also VERY new to astronomy and would like to learn more and then teach my young boy to use it as well as he has a fascination with the stars and planets.

I have a relatively new telescope which is a SkyWatcher EQ1 Refracter which I'd like to set-up but need help to know how exactly to set it up, balance it and then use it as best it can be used.

The telescope also comes with a couple of lenses;
Super 25 wide angle Long Eye Relief
Super 10mm
Barlow Lens

What does each lens do?

Plus it has a small mechanical box which has Simple Type EQ1 Precision DC Motor Drive.

How this works I have no idea (yet), help me if you can.

I have the original manual and while it tries to help me work it out it is a little hard to know if I have actually set it up correctly or not... it looks like it is but is it, how can I tell?

I really have no idea of how to balance etc so I am asking is there an idiots guide to setting up the telescope.

Cheers for any and all of your help, advice and suggestions.
Welcome. I hope you enjoy your new scope. I don't know that specific scope but I assume it is a small refractor ~60 to 90mm in diameter.

The different eyepieces are for different magnification. Magnification is worked out by dividing the focal length of the scope by the focal length of the eyepiece. The scope focal lenght will be written on the front of the lens. Something like 600mm.
The 25mm eyepiece will be the easiest to use. It gives less magnification but this is OK. Small scopes don't cope well with high magnification and you just magnify the blur if you use higher magnification.
The barlow usually acts to halve the focal length of the eyepiece. Using it with the 25 mm is like using a 12.5mm eyepiece thus doubling the magnification. You will use it rarely.

The mount has 2 axis and will have little levers that act as locks to allow the mount to freely move around the 2 axis when released.
Put the scope on its tripod and aim the long axis of the mount at the south celestial pole. This is due south and at a height that is equal to your latitude. I live 30deg south so the pole is 30deg from the horizon due south. For a first attempt this only needs to be relatively roughly aimed.
Put the scope on the mount and release the clutches 1 at a time. Move the counterweight until the scope will balance itself reasonably well in both directions. You may need to slide the scope in its rings to balance it.

This can all be done in daylight (DO NOT AIM IT AT THE SUN AT ALL). Connect the finder scope (the little telescope that attaches to the main one). Put the 25mm eyepiece in the scope and aim it at a distant tree or pole. Then look through the finderscope. There should be a way of adjusting the finder scope to aim it at the same thing that you can see through the main scope. Once this is done, leave it attached to the scope.
You are then ready to try it at night. Try aiming at the moon first and focus it. Currently the moon is nearly full. Just near it is Jupiter and this will look good as well.
Good luck
Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 AM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

Greg,

Welcome to IIS. If you're really stuck, one of my work posts is in Collie. My postings are Collie, Perth and from next year Karratha so if you're really struggling, I might be able to drop down your way in the next week and a half after work.

PM me if you're stuck.

Cheers,
Darrin...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 PM
gwmbox (Greg)
If you don't ask....

Thanks guys for your advice and help, Terry your explanation makes far more sense than the manual so I am sure I can figure that out from what you have described.

Darrin, I will definitely contact you if I get stuck, thanks for the offer of help.

Cheers

Greg
Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

And the motor will probably fit on the "RA" axis It drives the telescope in the direction that counteracts the rotation of the earth. So if your telescope mount is fairly well pointed to the south celestial pole, then with the motor running (and the clutch engaged, not loose) the object in the eyepiece should stay roughly there and not drift out of one side over time.
Old 13-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Jen
Moving to Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight View Post
Greg,

Welcome to IIS. If you're really stuck, one of my work posts is in Collie. My postings are Collie, Perth and from next year Karratha so if you're really struggling, I might be able to drop down your way in the next week and a half after work.

PM me if you're stuck.

Cheers,
Darrin...
Aww that is so nice of you Darrin Greg you should ring him up anyway it will be a great learning curve for you and your son to have someone there to get you going without the frustrations
Oh and welcome to IIS
Also you could try and post a thread asking if there are any other IISers on here that live in your area Good luck with the scope but you have been warned it becomes an addiction
Old 14-11-2011, 12:04 AM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

It wasn't that long ago Jen that I was bumbling around the back yard had no idea how important south was etc etc.

Some nights, I managed to even amuse myself over some of the buggerising in setting up. We've all been there and I'm glad to offer help where I can.

Cheers and all the best from the West!!
Darrin...