Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26-02-2018, 09:45 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Takahashi MT-160 Review

Hi all!
I thought i would put together a review of my telescope, the Takahashi MT-160.

Here it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPbn...ature=youtu.be

Old 26-02-2018, 09:57 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
Hi all!

Here it is!

Enjoyed your sensible review Logan.

bigjoe.
Old 27-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Thanks Joe! This is my first time doing a review so i hope it's ok
Old 27-02-2018, 12:13 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I'll buy you brand new GSO 6" Newt Logan and trade you for the MT-160. Deal? DEAL!
Old 27-02-2018, 01:45 PM
Kunama

Well done Logan, nice scope, thanks for posting this.
Old 27-02-2018, 03:33 PM
batema (Mark)

Yes congratulations on a great review. Well done Logan. As soon as it started I thought here is a young kid who is passionate about this hobby. I hope you keep enjoying it and sharing your knowledge on you tube to both kids and adults alike.

Mark.
Old 27-02-2018, 04:11 PM
fsphotography (Frank)

Tak mt-160 reveiw

You gave the MT-160 7/10, i'll give you a 10/10 for a great review.
Very well done.
Frank.
Old 27-02-2018, 04:57 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Great effort there Logan.
You should keep the scope because when you are older I suspect no money will buy it.
For example I sold my first good guitar when around your age because I could only see I needed money for something else...and today selling that guitar is one of my few regrets and if I could buy it back I would pay whatever it cost.
My point is your scope is really something one could keep as one of those prized possessions till the end of your days.
And I bet if you do sell it you may recall my words when you look back.
I dont know what you have earmarked the cash for but a smart fella like you will come up with an alternate solution.
What surprises me is that a certain member has not taken it of your hands...I suspect however its only a matter of time that he will present as a buyer.
I mean if you are into the brand your scope is a must have for anyone who loves quality.
Good luck.
And I must say I was extremely impressed with your photos I only hope I can one day do as well as you.
Alex
Old 27-02-2018, 09:02 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
I'll buy you brand new GSO 6" Newt Logan and trade you for the MT-160. Deal? DEAL!
No thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunama View Post
Well done Logan, nice scope, thanks for posting this.
Thanks! hopefully you know more about the scope now

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
Yes congratulations on a great review. Well done Logan. As soon as it started I thought here is a young kid who is passionate about this hobby. I hope you keep enjoying it and sharing your knowledge on you tube to both kids and adults alike.

Mark.
Thanks Mark, hopefully i can inspire people my age (and any age really) to get more interested in astronomy with these videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsphotography View Post
You gave the MT-160 7/10, i'll give you a 10/10 for a great review.
Very well done.
Frank.
Thank you very much Frank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
Great effort there Logan.
You should keep the scope because when you are older I suspect no money will buy it.
For example I sold my first good guitar when around your age because I could only see I needed money for something else...and today selling that guitar is one of my few regrets and if I could buy it back I would pay whatever it cost.
My point is your scope is really something one could keep as one of those prized possessions till the end of your days.
And I bet if you do sell it you may recall my words when you look back.
I dont know what you have earmarked the cash for but a smart fella like you will come up with an alternate solution.
What surprises me is that a certain member has not taken it of your hands...I suspect however its only a matter of time that he will present as a buyer.
I mean if you are into the brand your scope is a must have for anyone who loves quality.
Good luck.
And I must say I was extremely impressed with your photos I only hope I can one day do as well as you.
Alex
Thanks for the very wise advice Alex. You might have convinced me to keep the scope for a while You are right, i can always save up instead of selling it which i might regret later.

Quote:
Yep!
Time after time, offer after offer, each more and more tempting...
Old 27-02-2018, 11:28 PM
Waxing_Gibbous (Peter)
Grumpy Old Man-Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
Hi all!

Here it is!

Great review Logan. Very concise. Unfortunately you have been seduced by the Takahashi succubus and are now doomed to a life of penury spending all your cash on extension tubes and adapters.
Well, there are worse ways to go...
Old 28-02-2018, 10:03 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxing_Gibbous View Post
Great review Logan. Very concise. Unfortunately you have been seduced by the Takahashi succubus and are now doomed to a life of penury spending all your cash on extension tubes and adapters.
Well, there are worse ways to go...
Thanks Peter! Unfortunately, yep
Old 28-02-2018, 10:34 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Well done, Logan. Perhaps you should ask Tak to give you some free gear in return for reviews. I'm sure they could spare a FSQ130
Old 28-02-2018, 10:40 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Well done, Logan. Perhaps you should ask Tak to give you some free gear in return for reviews. I'm sure they could spare a FSQ130
Thanks Rick!

mmm, fsq130

Edit: now that i think about it, thats what Astrobackyard has done with William optics

Last edited by Lognic04; 28-02-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 28-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
How about trade the MT for an FSQ130. Deal? DEAL!

Old 01-03-2018, 04:36 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Seeing I have 2 FSQ-130's, I guess I won't miss one. You send the MT-160 first...I PROMISE I'll send you the FSQ...
Old 01-03-2018, 04:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

If I were Logan I would not trade it for a FSQ...I mean everyone has a FSQ but man if you have a MT-160 well you have arrived.
Like anyone can have a new Ferrari but some of those old classics will stay in family treasure troves until the end of time...along with their rare MT-160 scope.
I bet if the Queen of England had a scope well it would be a MT-160.

How many were built and sold?
You just dont see them offerred these days because well they are jealously horded with the classic Ferrais.
And now that Logan has come to his senses and no doubt planning a large garage for his scope and classic ferrari any buyer will have lost probably the only opportunity in a life time to join the club of exclusive ownership of such an exceptional instrument.
Maybe a few of us could get together give Logan his money and donate the scope to a museum rather than see it fall into private ownership and disappear into some billionaires treasure trove.
Alex
Old 01-03-2018, 05:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

And clearly in the review Logan has exaggerated the cons to diswade tyre kickers from calling and wasting his time.

Clearly the mass of the scope is a major advantage for imaging as he no doubt realises when he examines the superb images aquired with this exceptional scope. ..there is nothing better than high mass to dampen vibration which is always present in lesser scopes.

And Logan presenting cost as a con shows clearly that he realises this scope is not for anyone who puts price first and quality and performance second.

Very clever to head off that kind of person from wasting his precious time.

And as to accesories similar stratagy particularly when you realise that supurb quality accessories are even avaiable for such a classic scope.

How I wish my scopes had such a robust and accurate approach to the fabrication of their focuser.

This scope of course does not need a unnecessarily complex dual focuser because it works so precisely where as cheaper scopes must resort to lesser methods in an attempt to emulate the precision of this scientific instrument.

The makers saw the folly of adding too much to this scope via trivial piggy back cameras but still provided a solid sensible non flexing auxiliary mount facility that surpasses those who seek to add a plethora of un necessary unproductive items.

The absence of a fan reflects the dedication to purpose the designer demanded with this scope and clearly has left the attaching of an accessory fan to an accessory manufacturer or a owner who can fabricate a removable unit...

Having a permanent built in fan is like putting air conditioning in a ferari...

Because this scope is designed with perfection in mind and the only consideration and if one is happy to image in less than ideal conditions perhaps choose a scope that includes gum boots and an umbrella.

For this is the scope that one takes to those locations where perfection justifies the journey.

The culmination method is the ultimate system not overly complex but designed for owners that like to know that when culminated this scope is exceptionally solid and has none of the issues the owners of cheap less well designed scopes must accept if they insist on putting price before superb quality.

I am surprised Lewis has not tried to actually buy this scope but perhaps its exceptional quality has him thinking that such an exceptionally perfect instrument is perhaps too much scope even for him.
This just isnt any ordinary scope and I cant imagine anyone talking Logan into parting with it...at any price because really this is what we think about when we say priceless...such craftmanship just doesnot exist in this era of compromise.

Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 01-03-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
Seeing I have 2 FSQ-130's, I guess I won't miss one. You send the MT-160 first...I PROMISE I'll send you the FSQ...
Old 01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
If I were Logan I would not trade it for a FSQ...I mean everyone has a FSQ but man if you have a MT-160 well you have arrived.
Like anyone can have a new Ferrari but some of those old classics will stay in family treasure troves until the end of time...along with their rare MT-160 scope.
I bet if the Queen of England had a scope well it would be a MT-160.

How many were built and sold?
You just dont see them offerred these days because well they are jealously horded with the classic Ferrais.
And now that Logan has come to his senses and no doubt planning a large garage for his scope and classic ferrari any buyer will have lost probably the only opportunity in a life time to join the club of exclusive ownership of such an exceptional instrument.
Maybe a few of us could get together give Logan his money and donate the scope to a museum rather than see it fall into private ownership and disappear into some billionaires treasure trove.
Alex
Well spoken alex.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Lognic04 (Logan)

Quote:
And clearly in the review Logan has exaggerated the cons to diswade tyre kickers from calling and wasting his time.

Clearly the mass of the scope is a major advantage for imaging as he no doubt realises when he examines the superb images aquired with this exceptional scope. ..there is nothing better than high mass to dampen vibration which is always present in lesser scopes.

And Logan presenting cost as a con shows clearly that he realises this scope is not for anyone who puts price first and quality and performance second.

Very clever to head off that kind of person from wasting his precious time.

And as to accesories similar stratagy particularly when you realise that supurb quality accessories are even avaiable for such a classic scope.

How I wish my scopes had such a robust and accurate approach to the fabrication of their focuser.

This scope of course does not need a unnecessarily complex dual focuser because it works so precisely where as cheaper scopes must resort to lesser methods in an attempt to emulate the precision of this scientific instrument.

The makers saw the folly of adding too much to this scope via trivial piggy back cameras but still provided a solid sensible non flexing auxiliary mount facility that surpasses those who seek to add a plethora of un necessary unproductive items.

The absence of a fan reflects the dedication to purpose the designer demanded with this scope and clearly has left the attaching of an accessory fan to an accessory manufacturer or a owner who can fabricate a removable unit...

Having a permanent built in fan is like putting air conditioning in a ferari...

Because this scope is designed with perfection in mind and the only consideration and if one is happy to image in less than ideal conditions perhaps choose a scope that includes gum boots and an umbrella.

For this is the scope that one takes to those locations where perfection justifies the journey.

The culmination method is the ultimate system not overly complex but designed for owners that like to know that when culminated this scope is exceptionally solid and has none of the issues the owners of cheap less well designed scopes must accept if they insist on putting price before superb quality.

I am surprised Lewis has not tried to actually buy this scope but perhaps its exceptional quality has him thinking that such an exceptionally perfect instrument is perhaps too much scope even for him.
This just isnt any ordinary scope and I cant imagine anyone talking Logan into parting with it...at any price because really this is what we think about when we say priceless...such craftmanship just doesnot exist in this era of compromise.

Alex
Again, very well spoken Alex, and i believe you are right, this scope truly is perfection.
All the dissections of my points i completely agree with