Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-03-2011, 05:22 PM
pproctor (Paul)

The Tardis

Hello all.

Eventually when I build up the skill set and patience, I shall launch myself into some home-brew optics manufacture and all the associated fun and excitement that goes with that.

Until that day, I tend to to restrict myself with inanimate bits of timber and metal that are a little less expensive to replace, should I become over excited with power tools in my hand as most man-folk tend to be (insert cries of "more power" and grunting "Tim the Toolman" style here).

As such, a recent project involved getting around the usual problem of transporting the 12" Newt/Dob around the country to places far less light polluted than suburban Melbourne, whilst trying to reduce the amount of adjustment time at the other end after travelling over some of Victoria's finest road infrastructure.

The project started off as "The Coffin" as fittingly enough, I could comfortably (?) lie within it. but in a fit of inspiration the Dearly Beloved (DB and owner of the aforementioned scope) decreed that it looked like "The Tardis".

Hence after an absurd amount of time routing grooves into the lid to give it that 'authentic' look, a couple of coats of paint and an accessory or two, the "Tardis" was completed. Thoughts were also given for a blue light on the top, but this would suffer quite badly in the trailer

First shot is the box upright with the scope beside it complete with cloth dustcover cover created by DB, mounted on small wheel trolley we use to easily move the scope and mount around when observing at home.

Next few shots show the inside with the padding, document tray and end section housing the eyepiece case. The section with the eyepiece case is reinforced and is at the primary end of the scope to allow the whole assembly to be stood upright when not in use. The ends and inside of the lid has 50mm high density foam, and there are four curved sections of HD foam supporting the weight during travel.

The lid is attached with four clips, and removes with four recessed loop handles. There are two carry handles at each end to allow the whole lot to be lifted on and off the trailer (way to big to fit in anything but a trailer or station wagon. The bottom has four roller bearing wheels to allow it to be moved easily at home or on the trailer, and the Dob trolley goes underneath to move it at the destination over rougher ground. The ball bearing wheels on the bottom also drop into locating holes on the trailer bed to stop a lot of the movement on the road.

The box itself was relatively cheap as it's only MDF with glue, screws and 70x35mm pine reinforcing. However the foam can be on the tad expensive side, and the 'speaker' handles on the end were $17 each.

All up including all wood, screws, glue, paint, handles, wheels, foam etc it came in at just under $320 (and about 5 weekends).

To all the true Who enthusiasts out there, yes I know the detail isn't exactly correct but sometimes you just get that

Next stop, same deal for the HEQ5-Pro tripod, head and accessories, plus a portable battery/power unit to run all the bits for that.

Open to suggestions for those (a K9 perhaps for the power unit )
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Tardis01.jpg)
187.8 KB114 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2580-Tardis-02.jpg)
154.2 KB108 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2581-Tardis-03.jpg)
182.8 KB100 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2582-Tardis-04.jpg)
168.5 KB91 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2598-Tardis-05.JPG)
98.5 KB98 views
Old 21-03-2011, 12:19 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Well it does look back in time so it's entirely appropriate.

Nice work !!
Old 21-03-2011, 01:30 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Beautiful!

All that's needed is the blue flashing light. You might be able to pick something up at www.Jaycar.com.au . Even if you make it removeable (for storeage), and reattach with a little magnet, .
Old 21-03-2011, 02:25 PM
jenchris (Jennifer)

Police boxes had blue lights, but they didn't flash.
Nice job.
The OTA looks very comfy in there.
Old 21-03-2011, 02:37 PM
kustard (Simon)
Great Sage == Heaven

Very nice
Old 21-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

That's excellent Paul.

I like your style.
Old 21-03-2011, 08:29 PM
pproctor (Paul)

Thanks to all for the comments

About to start work on K9 (the imaging power system), and had some questions to anybody in the Radio Astronomy field about the 'cleanest' way to power a laptop.

Not wanting to cover the RF spectrum with the unwanted crud that comes off most converter systems, the question is which is the best way to power a laptop.

a) Find the miracle laptop at the most amazing price which runs directly off 12VDC

b) DC\DC converters taking the 12V up to whatever the laptop requires

c) 'Standard' DC/AC using modified square wave

d) pure sine wave DC/AC inverter

e) stay well away from the RF guys

Has anybody done any research or have any experience with the effects of these things on Radio Astronomy and separations required for all to be reasonably happy?

On a side note, did manage to track down a Tardis USB hub (about 5" high), that has four ports on the sides, lights up and plays the distinct Tardis sound whenever a device is plugged in.
Old 21-03-2011, 08:52 PM
GrahamL
pro lumen

wow thats pretty cool ... been a bit of rain your way of late by chance ?
Old 21-03-2011, 10:13 PM
bartman (Bart)
1 of 7 of 9

Thats really cool Paul,
I've wanted to build my own storage box, but haven't gotten round to it yet....
Cheers
Bartman
Old 21-03-2011, 10:21 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pproctor View Post
b) DC\DC converters taking the 12V up to whatever the laptop requires
Gets my vote. I have a Targus one that takes 240V or 12V. Not cheap. You could always make up a Faraday cage for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pproctor View Post
On a side note, did manage to track down a Tardis USB hub (about 5" high), that has four ports on the sides, lights up and plays the distinct Tardis sound whenever a device is plugged in.
Where?
Old 26-03-2011, 01:43 AM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)
bewise betold neverbecold

very nice storage box Paul

as soon as i looked at it (seeing the eyepiece case in the bottom), the thought came to mind to have a couple of pieces that could be used as shelving, and to use it as a "field cabinet" to hold your laptop, star maps and eyepiece case to keep the dew off them.

just a thought

geoff
Old 26-03-2011, 01:47 AM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)

then again you could turn it on it's side and put four screw on legs on it and use it as a table/cabinet

i better stop thinking before i find a way to turn it into a boat

geoff
Old 26-03-2011, 02:43 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

K9 for your power pack.
A Dalek for the tripod and head.
Old 26-03-2011, 03:40 PM
jjjnettie (Jeanette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB_an_Owl View Post
then again you could turn it on it's side and put four screw on legs on it and use it as a table/cabinet

i better stop thinking before i find a way to turn it into a boat

geoff
It's ok Geoff, you're among friends, and we understand.

Wowee, what a scope box!!

Do you you take commissions?
Old 28-03-2011, 09:29 PM
pproctor (Paul)

Hi guys.

Thanks for the suggestions, wouldn't be too hard to add a couple of rails each side of the tube and slide some shelves in to hold all the bits whilst observing.

Now of course I could line the bottom with a bit more foam and use it to have a nice nap when the viewing turns to crud

Then of course that would make it easier for the nice men in white coats to wheel me away when it all gets a bit too much

K9 appears the go for the power pack, and the Dalek seems to be a fair call on the mount case as well. Could put some rubber around the counterbalance weights and use them as wheels

Must go, the nice men are waiting for me with the pills
Old 28-03-2011, 10:50 PM
GTB_an_Owl (Geoff)

I've already got the pills Paul

no waiting around for the the nice men in white coats for me!

geoff
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
mr bruess
Stargazer who Posts

time

how appropriate.
The telescope,like the tardis is a time machine which views the stars and galaxies in the past,as it takes light years for their light to reach us.