Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Lomu

Portable 12v power for my dew fan?

Howdy all!

My third post in three odd years. I apologise for that. Quality over quantity etc.

I dragged the scope out the other night and now I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner. Got a slight query if anyone has encountered this situation.

I've got a Bintel 8" Dob. At the back is a 12v fan for cooling the primary; a battery pack is supplied with the scope, which takes 8 AA batteries. I'm thinking it's slightly unweieldy- is there some sort of portable power bank that outputs 12V to power the fan? I'm sure there is, and I had a look at the Jaycar website but oddly enough, I can't find anything that's suitable.

Looking on the web I can find plenty of sites that have a DIY approach but I'd rather just grab something off-the-shelf if possible. Has anybody else encountered this slightly annoying situation?

Thanks all,
Darren
Old 24-06-2017, 04:45 PM
OffGrid (Steve)

G'day Darren,

The compact lithium car jumper starters may be your answer. Particularly the ones that come with 240vac chargers and a set of gender benders that can fit your scope, iPhone etc.
Small enough to sit or mount on the dob base and keep in glove box for emergency car starts.
Here is an example.
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/certa-1...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 25-06-2017, 05:05 PM
phomer (Paul)

Darren,

First of all, what you are describing is not a dew fan, it is a fan to assist with bring the mirror to the same temperature as the surrounding air.

Secondly, Jarcar are full of 12 volt batteries so I assume what you are looking for is a combined charger and battery and something that is not too large.

A camping store would probably be your best bet.

However, you could just buy a 12v battery and suitable charger separately and just replace the battery after a few years. I assume you only run the fan for a short while so it would not need much capacity, maybe 10 amp hour or so.

Regards

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomu View Post
Howdy all!

My third post in three odd years. I apologise for that. Quality over quantity etc.

I dragged the scope out the other night and now I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner. Got a slight query if anyone has encountered this situation.

I've got a Bintel 8" Dob. At the back is a 12v fan for cooling the primary; a battery pack is supplied with the scope, which takes 8 AA batteries. I'm thinking it's slightly unweieldy- is there some sort of portable power bank that outputs 12V to power the fan? I'm sure there is, and I had a look at the Jaycar website but oddly enough, I can't find anything that's suitable.

Looking on the web I can find plenty of sites that have a DIY approach but I'd rather just grab something off-the-shelf if possible. Has anybody else encountered this slightly annoying situation?

Thanks all,
Darren