Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-01-2019, 05:05 PM
leon

Our two Green Frogs

Hi guys,
Whilst we were in Darwin Alice found the dog water bowl full of frog eggs, so she decided to raise them and she did.

We got hold of three small fish tanks from the junk shop and the first was for the eggs and then as the started to be tadpoles they progressed to the next tank and so on.

She raised 112 and let them go but decided to keep two, which we still have today, that was seven years ago, they can last up to twenty years from what i have read.

They, the frogs have been round Australia twice up the middle and into the coldest places in Victoria, we do have a heater under their tank when it gets to cold, and we have to continually buy Crickets at the pet stores to keep them fed.

Anyway here are our two frogs having a conference of sorts.

Buy the way I forgot to say she, Alice named them Tad and Pole

Leon
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2486.jpg)
144.3 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2487.jpg)
143.1 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2488.jpg)
88.7 KB52 views
Old 25-01-2019, 05:27 PM
sharpiel

Legend effort Leon. Raising and releasing.

Those two look beautiful. Well done mate.
Old 25-01-2019, 08:50 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Fantastic photos Leon - love them.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 25-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Hi guys,
Whilst we were in Darwin Alice found the dog water bowl full of frog eggs, so she decided to raise them and she did.

We got hold of three small fish tanks from the junk shop and the first was for the eggs and then as the started to be tadpoles they progressed to the next tank and so on.

She raised 112 and let them go but decided to keep two, which we still have today, that was seven years ago, they can last up to twenty years from what i have read.

They, the frogs have been round Australia twice up the middle and into the coldest places in Victoria, we do have a heater under their tank when it gets to cold, and we have to continually buy Crickets at the pet stores to keep them fed.

Anyway here are our two frogs having a conference of sorts.

Buy the way I forgot to say she, Alice named them Tad and Pole

Leon

:thum bsup:
Old 26-01-2019, 10:14 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Cool Leon , I remember you showing me those tadpoles when you were in Darwin one time , job well done mate .

I had one as well , for 4 years it slept inside my down pipe during the dry and upon the first rain of the wet he would burst into song !! so loud when he was still in the down pipe , like a pipe organ .

He live'd with me all that time , cool animals for sure . I named him ' Frogee ' , lame yes but he was so cool and needed a name .

Brian.

ps. note the eye slits on you frogs eyes ? , mine was taken at night and fully dilated and I used to watch him hunt , these are awesome hunters as the will eat anything that will fit in their mouths , great for keeping the big Roaches down in number we had up there .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (frogee.jpg)
63.9 KB12 views
Old 26-01-2019, 12:11 PM
leon

Yes Brian I do remember that, and you are right, when it feels like rain to them, boy, do they go off, one starts and the rest follow.

Leon