Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-11-2005, 02:57 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

arrghh!! dave and dave, i am splitting this to a new thread in the equipment or buy and sell sections http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ead.php?t=5569

thanks dave (trying to sound like starkler)
Old 21-11-2005, 03:45 PM
Muddy Diver
Your Brain Drain

Is this the Great Nebula in Orion? think I used to be able to pick star pattern out, or one similar to it, in the Northern hemisphere and have noticed it down under before. Is it possible that this is the same one which is able to be viewed from the UK also? i.e towards north and low in the sky from Oz.

I notice there are a few Nebulae there but all with a magnitude of 30. Will gove it a go if you think I should be able to see these with my scope. Fill you in after the weekend.....weather permitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpretorius
Have a little go at a star structure that looks like an iron pot. Have a look in the handle, there is a very bright nebula there which will also get you some oohs and arghs. It from 10ish onwards this is lovely to look at!!!

Last edited by Muddy Diver; 21-11-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 21-11-2005, 04:42 PM
ving (David)
~Dust bunny breeder~

orion stands on his head here Mr Muddy
he will look upside down
Old 22-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Muddy Diver
Your Brain Drain

David

While looking at the screen prints from your Starry night Program that you also own a PDA. ( I can see the auto synch program running in the toolbar below. Forgive me for being nosey I was looking at the Starry night Program features and came across it.

Yesterday I ordered a copy of "Thesky Pocket Edition" for my pocket PC as it will be easier to take camping than my laptop and was wondering if you are aware of the functionality of these programmes. I guess I should start a thread in the equipment area but thought you might be a beeter bet seeing as you have one of these PDA's

Do you know anything about these pocket programmes? They should be able to drive my nexstar 4GT also when I finally get that far but thought it a useful field reference tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpretorius
Here are to images from the program starry night. The first one is at 3am tomorrow morning looking NE. The moon will be in the North. Saturn to the naked eye looks pinky/peach!! I know i have looked at it a fair few times now, but to me it stands out from the other stars!!

The second is a rough size for you for your 10mm eyepiece.
Old 22-11-2005, 09:23 AM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

i do have a Dell axim pocket pc.

no i don't use it for field or home observing.

I have a Dell Latitude D610 laptop with a second battery that goes everywhere with me. Because i like to image, I capture to my laptop, check out starry night pro on my laptop, wireless lets me stay on the internet ie this forum, all while i am observing from my driveway. Another piece of equipment ie the handheld becomes redundant for me for most occassions.

I have lovely dark east / south skies, so I am fortunate that i do not have to go far afield. If I was going to move around then i would have a look around for some hand held software.

Sorry I cant help, but post a new thread. Starkler used to have his goto stuff running from a handheld I think, but he has now gone argo navis and that new piece of equipment takes pride and place in his house!!!